loco

Deer Creek Today

Everything was in pretty good shape. I didn't do the Red Mesa Loop though. I did the Plymouth Mtn loop instead. Good times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

loco
    more DC picks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

The Notorious S.L.O
    Great Pics, hope that the snow misses us, and the trails will continue to be dry and rideable.
    as of right now, 7:15 am 4/7, it is snowing in Conifer, barely, just a dusting so far.

that stair section is tough, I know that it must be doable, just not by me yet.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Man that looks nice..

loco
    I live about 5 minutes from Deer Creek and it's total Blizzard conditions right now. We need the moisture but dang, all the trails around here are probably pretty soaked.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by konacoffee
    I live about 5 minutes from Deer Creek and it's total Blizzard conditions right now. We need the moisture but dang, all the trails around here are probably pretty soaked.
    Take heart, my anonymous brethren...

http://9news.com/weather/forecast/

Personally, I'm amazed that DC is looking so good - I thought it had a couple more weeks before it would even be ridable after how it looked a week and a half ago, it was like a slushy skating rink.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

the Wall at DCCP

Gee, looks like the winter snows have tamed the Wall--packed things down so now it's an easy climb. Were you taking these pics while holding the camera in one hand while climbing?
    Maybe not.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Gee, looks like the winter snows have tamed the Wall--packed things down so now it's an easy climb. Were you taking these pics while holding the camera in one hand while climbing?
    Maybe not.

Ah now, you're sounding a wee bit jaded. The WOS loves you just like it does everyone else, it's entirely doable - I'm telling you.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Ah now, you're sounding a wee bit jaded. The WOS loves you just like it does everyone else, it's entirely doable - I'm telling you.
    Have you cleaned it on your SS?

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    Have you cleaned it on your SS?
    Nope - and while I wish I could, I'm not sure I'll ever come close. A friend of Don's has while pushing something like 34/16 - but he's not human, so it doesn't count.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nope - and while I wish I could, I'm not sure I'll ever come close. A friend of Don's has while pushing something like 34/16 - but he's not human, so it doesn't count.
    I kinda thought that would be pushing it... even for a badass like yourself.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Based on my observation, it's all about being able to hit the base at about 15mph and have the fitness to maintain it to the top. So, in real world terms for me, I'd need at least a 125, probably a 250.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Wall of Shame

Last year I asked those who thought (said) they could clean the WOS in one shot to come on down and show me--mind you, I believe a guy when he says something, I just wanted to see it done. No one showed up the day of "The Challenge" except me and my four riding buddies, who, strong as they are, failed miserably. When those of you out there think you're ready to demonstrate your inhuman prowess, please let us know--I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see it successfully cleaned--from mini-creek crossing at the bottom to cresting the last climb at the top. Whenever this might happen, it'd be great to have a "Wall O' People" lined up on the steps cheering the contenders on. And on a single speed? Well, I'd say that person would qualify for "Inhuman of The Year".

loco
    I never cleaned the wall going up or have ever seen anyone do it. Part of the problem is that I'm generally pretty tired by the time I get to it. The other part is that it's too hard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I have seen it done more than once.

I ride with one of those naturally talented super humans. He rides a Yeti 575 and has a totally replaced knee. The knee replacement was part of the 10+ state #1 plates for MX.

Anyway he just uses a slow middle ring smooth cadence to climb up the wall. Quite a bit of balance is required at the top with the larger rocks. It's great to watch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

middle ring climbing

Quote Originally Posted by mtbBLISS
    I ride with one of those naturally talented super humans. He rides a Yeti 575 and has a totally replaced knee. The knee replacement was part of the 10+ state #1 plates for MX.

Anyway he just uses a slow middle ring smooth cadence to climb up the wall. Quite a bit of balance is required at the top with the larger rocks. It's great to watch.
    I rode Slickrock many years ago with a racing team from Canada (they were kind enough to let me keep up with them). One of them was of the inhuman variety of rider. We'd done the loop counterclock and came up on Mallory Cave (?) which had a buncha guys trying that straight up climb to the left of the cave. Well, I went over backwards first try and said, ok, who's next? One rider made it switchbacking back and forth in granny, one just couldn't clear that first vertical pitch, then Mr. Inhuman went straight up--a completely straight line from bottom to top. When he got to the top, seemingly effortlessly, he yelled back down to us..."hey, I did that in middle chain ring!" Laughing. So I've seen riders use middle chainring when the rest of us are convinced (and rightly so given our leg strength) that granny is the only possible way.

WOS in middle chainring. What a concept. OK, so count Yetiman in on our upcoming demonstration. Anyone else?