Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

deer creek challenge

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Flyer 
#1 ·
what an a$$hole
http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_15945631
DEER CREEK CANYON - I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me when someone throws tacks on a steep road just hours before a bike event that brings hundreds of riders descending through an area at a fairly high rate of speed, it ought to be construed as attempted murder.

And perhaps the person who threw those tacks on the High Grade Road in the foothills west of Chatfield Reservoir before Sunday's Deer Creek Challenge was disappointed because none of the 960 riders who took part in the event was killed or seriously injured. A couple of flat tires were the only damages he or she managed to inflict.

But despite the opposition of some canyon residents and the act of sabotage that managed to elude heightened vigilance by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department, the controversial Deer Creek Challenge was a remarkable success for a first-time event - at least for those of us who rode in it.

It was touted as the toughest century ride in America with 12,751 feet of elevation gain. Riders also had options to do a metric century (7,053 feet of climbing) or a 33-mile ride (4,200 feet). I talked to several participants after the event, and every one gave it high marks.

"I thought it was a phenomenal ride," said Ken Bridges of Denver, 32, who opted for the century. "It takes a certain type of rider because of the climbs. I enjoyed it immensely."

Some canyon residents, already angry because the area attracts bicyclists by the hundreds on many weekends, made a fuss last year when event organizer Pat Downing applied for a county permit. The permit was denied, but it was approved this year.

"It was a difficult process to go through," Downing said, "because you had to listen to hours and hours of testimony from people who care passionately about their homes and the community and were extremely frustrated with any number of things - none of which had anything to do with a charitable cycling event that took nine hours of the road - not closing it, just utilizing it - for one day out of the year."

When the controversy began a year ago, there were rumors the Jefferson County commissioners might try to ban bicycles in the canyon year-round. I went to a Bike Jeffco meeting and heard Commissioner Kathy Hartman (whose district includes the canyon) attempt to calm the fears of the cycling community while offering her theory why so many motorists don't like us.

"Their perception of their right to drive the road as they always have feels threatened - and it is," Hartman said. "All of these users have a right to the road. All of these users help pay for the road, and all of these users have to learn to accommodate each other."

That doesn't include throwing tacks in a deliberate attempt to hurt cyclists. Lt. Bud Bumgarner said there's not much the Jeffco Sheriff's Department can do about the incident unless someone comes forward to identify the perpetrator. I hope someone does.

"We'll be taking a report in case any additional information comes in," Bumgarner said. "We will certainly follow that information up."

Unfortunately the charge wouldn't be attempted murder.

"Right now we basically have damage to property, which is a criminal mischief act, which is a misdemeanor," Bumgarner said. "If someone hit those things, their tire went and they wrecked, it depends on the severity of the injuries. If it's a minor injury, it's a minor assault. If it's a major injury, such as a broken bone, it would be a felony assault."

With lots of hard climbing, wonderful scenery and excellent organization, the Deer Creek Challenge seems destined to rank with the Triple Bypass and the Copper Triangle among Colorado's great rides - assuming the county approves a permit again next year. I believe Sunday proved it can be conducted safely, without excessive inconvenience to anybody.

"We have had numerous meetings with the bicycle community, motorists and homeowners," Bumgarner said. "We've pretty much educated everybody to how we'd like to see this event be successful. At first there was a lot of opposition, but it seemed like after a while, we got the majority of people on the same page. Of course you're not going to keep everybody happy, but we think what we did was successful and beneficial to the community, and we think you guys had a really nice event."

That we did.

Read more: Meyer: Deer Creek Challenge succeeds despite sabotage - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_15945631#ixzz0yDOi4lrV

See less See more
#5 ·
This story has stuck with me since I first read it for a couple of reasons.

First off, I live nearby and ride Deer Creek Rd. and Highgrade frequently. I love those climbs and the descents. I ride it throughout the year. Taking my Niner monstercross up there in the winter has been epic at times! Occasionally some minor issues with cars, but nothing major to talk about. But this level of hatred is disturbing. Intentionally trying to hurt those riders because you are annoyed is troubling. I am not surprised, just disappointed. I have experienced many typical road and mtb rage issues over the past 25yrs of cycling, including several years of dealing with booby trapped trails in SoCal. Still do not understand the mindset that excuses that mentality.

Secondly, I am concerned and curious about the Sheriff's comments relating to the investigation and charges. Perhaps, someone with a legal background can shed some light. How is this action a misdemeanor? The explanation of the progression to felony is worrisome. Are the same charges used if the target is a motor vehicle or a runner? If I stood on Deer Creek and threw rocks at cars coming down the hill? If I threw bricks off a freeway overpass to the road below? If I rolled bowling balls down a hill towards a park jogging/stroller path? Also isn't booby trapping (public land or my own home) a criminal act? I am not advocating these acts! Just curious as to prosecution of the ridiculous acts.

Sorry for the rant. Like I said, this story has stuck with me.

Ride safe!

#6 ·
The really sad part is that this isn't a new thing. There have been carpet tacks intentionally dropped on HighGrade several times that I can recall over the past ~6 years or so (that I know of). Where I've seen them before was always in the guardrail section ... I've also seen an ambulance there hauling a rider away that blew both tires and went into the guardrail at speed ... the gory smear on the pavement was a wake up call. :-(

#7 ·
batty said:
The really sad part is that this isn't a new thing. There have been carpet tacks intentionally dropped on HighGrade several times that I can recall over the past ~6 years or so (that I know of). Where I've seen them before was always in the guardrail section ... I've also seen an ambulance there hauling a rider away that blew both tires and went into the guardrail at speed ... the gory smear on the pavement was a wake up call. :-(
Very sad to hear this... I have only been riding those roads for about the last two years since moving to the area. Like I mentioned earlier, I have had positive experiences on the road. Except for the oil sprayed on the road during the re-paving in July/Aug. That was fun! Never seen the tacks though.

The premeditated planning of throwing the tacks in the guardrail section goes right to my previous point of prosecution. How the hell is this a misdemeanor when the intention is to seriously injure? I ask again, if I were to stand on those same guardrail sections throwing rocks or paint baloons at passing car's windshields or maybe more correctly put down a spike strip, would it be considered a prank or mischief? Even if I missed?

Anybody have some insight?

#8 ·
I can't speak to the legal aspects involved here ...

What I can say is that I think the overall situation has improved from what it was in recent years. This is not to say that it's gone and the latest carpet tack sprinkling demonstrates this, but the daily honking, swerving, pulling in front of riders and slamming on the brakes, throwing objects has decreased significantly. I believe that the worst offenders were the same individuals time and again and after the CSP paid them a visit (*CSP !!!!) they have taken to rude gestures and not giving any more room than absolutely necessary.

You might consider asking one of the Jeffco officers that patrol the canyon. I've managed to meet a couple while being written speeding tickets (on my bicycle) and I have to say they've actually been pretty cool. As silly as the tickets are, it's part of their effort to show the drivers they are enforcing the laws for both cyclists and drivers (who see cyclists running stop signs, urinating in public, riding on the wrong side of the road etc ... and assume we never get in trouble for it. Not saying one justifies the other .. some data points.

My suggestion don't give in to the temptation to respond with a rude gesture, spew obscene language back at them .. smile and wave (I think it pisses them off more in fact) :)

FWIW

#9 ·
Thanks for the info Batty.

For the usual minor transgression, I also "just wave and smile" Occasionally, I might shake my head and smirk if someone is especially idiotic. It usual upsets the idiot self righteous pr**k much more than any anger. Not that a nice a** kicking isn't on my mind!

Glad to hear the CSP are at least listening to cyclists concerns. I haven't had the same police interaction by getting speeding tickets. Not sure if I should be proud of myself or embarrassed for not deserving a ticket.

Back in the 90's we went through a lot of crap on the trails in SoCal. Hiker and equestrian groups presented some strong, well funded advocacy against us (mtb riders) on the trails. When they started losing the legal fight, they too had offshoot individuals that were dangerous. The trails started to get booby trapped with logs/rocks, ditches, spiked sticks and finally wire/chains across the trails where you least expected them. The trails there are brushy, steep, tight and usually limited visibility.

The Park Rangers and police were not very attentive until some serious injuries occurred. Sad to say the initial cycling injuries got little response. Only after some animals were found injured and then finally a couple of hikers stepped on the spikes did any type of law enforcement actually occur. Luckily in recent years they seen very little of this kind of crazy "enviromental protection" in SoCal.

Hope we can all get along a little better here in Colorado!

Ride safe!

#11 ·
abegold said:
My suggestion would be to stay off roads and just race on singletrack and doubletrack.
Not bad advice. I enjoy both types of riding though. Been mtb riding since 1986 and road the past 7yrs. or so. Love them both for different reasons. I think of it as adding a sports car to the garage. Actually ride Deer Creek Cyn trails too.

The attitude is what I was discussing in this thread. It seems to be more prevalent on the road, but do not kid yourself. Trail access/closure issues against mtb is not far from this mentality. The inability of some to share the road/trail is what I am concerned with. It disappoints me that some a**hole can believe his motives/actions are more important than the next guys.

Next time your reading a thread concerning someone's perceived entitlement to a trail or rude behaviour to another user, remember this thread and what a fine line our control/safety is at times. A carpet tack on the road or a booby trapped trail can cause just as much damage to a rider. Trust me, no fun being buzzed by an idiot in a car or dodging a wire or strategically placed sharpened stick on a sweet singletrack. Kind of puts a damper on the ride either way.

Being new to the area and riding for over 24yrs, gives me a different perspective than many here. Many of the same issues I am starting to hear in this area have been fought in other areas before. Crowded multi-user trails are fast becoming a reality here. How the cycling community interacts with general community and rangers/police is important today and for the future of cycling in this area. A big part of why I moved to Denver and my specific neighborhood was the cycling access, road and mtb. I would like my kids to be able to enjoy the same trails and roads too as they get older. Pisses me off when some pr**k believes he can throw tacks or block a public trail because he feels empowered to do so.

Sorry about the rant. As you can tell, this event grates my nerves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.