DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Deer Creek 11/19/04 - Lesson learned

The trail was in great shape this morning, yesterday's sunny skies completely dried out the trail and the colder temps this morning meant the trail was hard and fast.

Did learn one painful lesson though: frost covered, off-camber, log waterbar + speedy descent down Red Mesa = human scorpion & deep tissue bruising. Front wheel washed out on me like it was on ice, which it was....

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    The trail was in great shape this morning, yesterday's sunny skies completely dried out the trail and the colder temps this morning meant the trail was hard and fast.

Did learn one painful lesson though: frost covered, off-camber, log waterbar + speedy descent down Red Mesa = human scorpion & deep tissue bruising. Front wheel washed out on me like it was on ice, which it was....

Yeah. That hurts. Crosier Mountain comes to mind when I think of that. Tons of log water bars off camber on steep descents. Seems like every time I ride up there it's raining, too. I've gone down harder than I care to admit more than a few times.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

locked - time out
    I've always been afraid of those off-camber waterbars. I hop them, as a rule, even if they're dry.

..."The Human Scorpion" ....is that like that "Downward Facing Dog" move that all the yogis are so fond of?

Hairshirt Rider
    is that like that "Downward Facing Dog" move that all the yogis are so fond of?
    Different - in the scorpion you are getting stung, in this case by the bicycle.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    ouch

where crosier, on a side note??
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    ouch

where crosier, on a side note??
    Estes.

This spring I hit the deck so hard (yes, waterbar induced) that there were pine needles etc stuck between the bead of my tire and the rim. It was one of those just ridding along followed by a super body slam.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I've always been afraid of those off-camber waterbars. I hop them, as a rule, even if they're dry.

..."The Human Scorpion" ....is that like that "Downward Facing Dog" move that all the yogis are so fond of?
    I usually just graze the tops of the waterbars when I'm motoring, the one that got me is that high one just before the right hander. Never had time to get my hands out, I was moving pretty fast. The "human scorpion" is when you're sliding on your chest/face and both your legs are arched up over your back like a scorpion's tail. Not good unless you're into that kind of thing.

locked - time out
    I love those crashes - the ones where everything is fine one second, and your are laying on the ground confused the next. I was warming up for a CC race when I lived on Kauai and was riding along at about 15-20 mph when I crossed a wooden bridge with the decking running parallel to the direction of travel. I made it most of the way across because the bridge was old and most of the cracks between the planks were filled with mud (to the point that it never crossed my mind that there were tire width cracks beneath the mud) Before I knew what hit me, my tire had dropped into an open crack and thrown me to the ground so fast and so hard that I hit helmet first - didn't even get my hands up. The fall busted the visor off of my helmet and it took me about 30 seconds before I realized what had taken place. it was one of those crashes that is cool to look back on - after 7 years or so...

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I was warming up for a CC race when I lived on Kauai
    Cool. Hey, we're going to Kauai for 12 days over Xmas. Got us a little love shack near the beach. Is there any place to rent decent bikes on the island and any reco's on places to ride?
    Last edited by DWF; 11-19-2004 at 04:30 PM.

Stand back
    I love those crashes - the ones where everything is fine one second, and your are laying on the ground confused the next. I was warming up for a CC race when I lived on Kauai and was riding along at about 15-20 mph when I crossed a wooden bridge with the decking running parallel to the direction of travel. I made it most of the way across because the bridge was old and most of the cracks between the planks were filled with mud (to the point that it never crossed my mind that there were tire width cracks beneath the mud) Before I knew what hit me, my tire had dropped into an open crack and thrown me to the ground so fast and so hard that I hit helmet first - didn't even get my hands up. The fall busted the visor off of my helmet and it took me about 30 seconds before I realized what had taken place. it was one of those crashes that is cool to look back on - after 7 years or so...
    Yeah, like cranking up a biig hill on a bmx bike and snap a pedal spindle. Ouch. Best part was a couple old people came out of the church nearby and asked if I needed a ride home. Guess I looked pretty dazed, but it was only a few blocks home so I declined...
    Or hitting a barricade outside mile high stadium at 6:20am on the way to work at 18 mph...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

icegeek is hot
    Cool. Hey, we're going to Kauai for 12 days over Xmas. Got us a little love shack near the beach. Is there any place to rent decent bikes on the island and any reco's on places to ride?
    I have never ridden Kauai, but have Maui, and can tell you it was difficult to find a decent bike to rent there, so I expect it may be even tougher to find in Kauai. The wonderful thing about Hawaii is that all shoreline is open to the public, even the shoreline in front of the poshest resorts. All shoreline was specified as publically owned as an agreement of their Statehood, so if you see a beach you'd like to enjoy, do it. The bad news is, virtually everything else is privately owned, and it can be darn near impossible to find an open trail to ride on. And when you ride, the lava? Don't fall on it. It makes a slick off camber water bar seem like a feather pillow ...

I recommend you call a bike shop in Kauai before you leave and ask them about public trails, and any private trails they know about. Sometimes you can be granted access to the private trails, but have to (believe it or not) write a letter to request access. A little homework stateside may get you access to trails that were elusive to me on my trips to Hawaii.

One more thing: you may want to hike the Kalalau trail when you're there. It was fantastic. Have fun!

http://www.hawaii-guide.com/Kauai_Gu...lalauTrail.htm
    Last edited by TVC15; 11-19-2004 at 04:52 PM.

locked - time out
    No problem - I worked @ Bicycle John's while I lived over there - not sure what his rental bikes are like now - but he could probably hook you up. I also rode with a bunch of guys @ Bicycles Kauai (the owner's name is Jason) he would be a good guy to have take you out. There is some of the best riding I have done over there - I 'll have to tell you about it later, gotta go eat now - feel free to PM too if you want.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    how about a little info on crosier please, how long is the ride, is there a map of the ride, whats it like? have explored most of the front range but haven't made it up to estes yet. thanks
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

locked - time out
    Ask locals for directions to any of these places and keep in mind that some of them are (or were) built and maintained by MC clubs on the island - so a guidebook will leave much of the info out. You should ride Kalepa Ridge between Lihue / Kapaa, Powerline (service road, but good fun with the most insane views I have seen on 99% of the rides I have been on) between Kapaa / Kiluea, Sleeping Giant (which - when I was there 6 years ago was officially closed to bikers, who still made up 90% of trail users in spite of this fact) Kapaa, Waimea Canyon (which I read just this week has some very cool, uh... hidden stuff, if you happen across the right people) on the west side (Bicycles Kauai can shuttle you on this unless you want to climb 3000 vertical or so on your MTB - on pavement, additionally, they can point you in the right direction as far as trails go over there) There used to be some sweet unmarked (but legal) trails in Anahola Valley, but you might have to do some research of your own when (or before) you get there to get specific directions. I wish I could give you exact info, but I moved back here in '98 and understand that some things have changed since I was there, so I don't want to send you in the wrong direction with info that is outdated. I am fairly certain, though, that the rides I did mention are still doable without development / closures being a concern. As far as bikes and rides go - when I was there Bicycle John's (Lihue) was the place to go to hook up for road rides, and Bicycles Kauai (Kapaa) was the place to go for MTB rides. Hope this helps. Also - I was pretty good friends with the guys at both of the shops I mentioned so if you tell them Josh Baden sent you they might hook you up.

Josh

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Ask locals for directions to any of these places and keep in mind that some of them are (or were) built and maintained by MC clubs on the island - so a guidebook will leave much of the info out. You should ride........

I was pretty good friends with the guys at both of the shops I mentioned so if you tell them Josh Baden sent you they might hook you up.

Josh
    Thanks Josh for taking the time to provide that info!!! I'll put it to good use.