mtbr member

The death of a derailleur

I've never seen a derailleur break like mine did today. Rode Apex and Enchanted Forest then literally, at the very end, there is a large pothole as you ride to the parking lot. I thought I cleared it but as soon as I hit the other side, I hear a loud "KACHUNK!" followed by horrible breaking and metal-on-metal noises.

My friend exclaims "dude what did you do to your derailleur?!" apparently it snapped and took out a few spokes as well. other than that, it was a great ride and now I get to buy a Shadow! (and some spokes and a new chain)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sooner518; 05-18-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Big Boned
    You better make sure your hanger isn't bent, too. A bent hanger could have caused this -- or it could have resulted from it. Check that spit before your put a new D on.

I had a similar explosion once, resulting from an improperly installed master pin on the chain. The pin snagged the derailleur cage and sucked it up into the wheel while I was in my 22/34, and the D just ripped apart, along with several spokes. My hub's flange was also f'd, so my whole rear wheel was basically toast.

I lucked out -- the bike was only a couple weeks old, so the chain had been installed at the Specialized factory. They knew about the issue (I wasn't the only one who'd had a problem), the shop said there was something wrong with the chain tool the Specialized factory was using (more likely something wrong with the builder operating the tool) and they warrantied everything -- new D, new wheel, new hanger, the whole shebang.

leashem
    Ouch....I wish my 5 year old Deore would break. I could then justify buying an XT or a Shram x7 or maybe even a new bike?

Thread Terrorist
    I can rebuild that wheel for a minimal charge (beer?).

I've had many deraileurs blowup, but that's new.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboy
    Ouch....I wish my 5 year old Deore would break. I could then justify buying an XT or a Shram x7 or maybe even a new bike?
    Bring me your bike young man

Stayin' Puft
    Wow, based on the OP's subject line I expected a "birth of a singlespeeder" story.

It's not too late, you never have to buy another derailer again. :-)

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    It looks like one of your limit screws (on the der.) may have been out a bit too far, allowing cage to get near enough for one of your spokes to grab it.
    Now with more vitriol!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    ...talking about "never seeing it break this way before"...this was a first for me............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (113.0 KB, 579 views)
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I can rebuild that wheel for a minimal charge (beer?).

I've had many deraileurs blowup, but that's new.
    I would but my friend manages the service department of a local bike store and offered to have me come over to his garage and we'd work on it there.

It looks like one of your limit screws (on the der.) may have been out a bit too far, allowing cage to get near enough for one of your spokes to grab it.
    hmm that is possible. I didnt think I hit it on anything so that sounds very likely. good to know

mtbr member

Smile mine has 9 lives

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

..ouch
    It looks like a long-cage derailleur which are great at grabbing spokes even with the right limit settings. It's never a good idea to have a long cage on the inner ring for anything bumpy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New Shadow XTR

Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    ...talking about "never seeing it break this way before"...this was a first for me............
    I have the Shadow XTR RD. While riding along (shifting and going up a small hill) my RD chain guide just "flipped" forward. Similar to Beagledadi's picture. The spring inside, tensioned it forwards not backwards. I have no idea what happened. After 30 minutes of trailside work, I couldn' figure it out. Nothng was bent or broken.

Any ideas?

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by grega
    I have the Shadow XTR RD. While riding along (shifting and going up a small hill) my RD chain guide just "flipped" forward. Similar to Beagledadi's picture. The spring inside, tensioned it forwards not backwards. I have no idea what happened. After 30 minutes of trailside work, I couldn' figure it out. Nothng was bent or broken.
    If you're saying what I think you are, then it's possible that the spring that provides tension to the derailleur swing arm either broke or came out of it's retainer clips. The spring I'm talking about is located inside the pivot right next to the upper guide pulley. This would be the first time I've seen that without major trama to the RD though. In Beagledadi's pic it appears the chain tension is what's pulling it forward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think you understand right... I took it apart on the trail the spring looked fine and I was sure to reassembl it where the spring ends belonged... Still didn't work. Very strange... I was just pedaling, no impact, and really no chain strain during the shift either. I'm wondering if the spring is faulty and "uncolied" a bit (although it looks fine).

..ouch
    I think you understand right... I took it apart on the trail the spring looked fine and I was sure to reassembl it where the spring ends belonged... Still didn't work. Very strange... I was just pedaling, no impact, and really no chain strain during the shift either. I'm wondering if the spring is faulty and "uncolied" a bit (although it looks fine).
    It's been quite a while since I've opened one up.. but I think your spring might be uncoiled. IIRC, you should have to rotate the spring almost a full rotation when reassembling. It shouldn't be easy to reinstall and the spring should have strong rearward pressure once assembled. Again though, it's been a while since I've opened one and I'm not sure if the shadow design has changed significantly. Given it's a shadow it must be relatively new.. Might be better just to warranty. You shouldn't have to screw with this after dropping the coin for an XTR.

mtbr member
    wow, so I was the one who originally started this thread. I bought the XT Shadow last May and have been riding it ever since. Then a few days ago, THIS happenned to me! The chain guide "flipped" forward without any impact or anything. I know next to nothing about derailleurs so I am nervous about tearing it open and messing with the tensioning spring.

Grega, what did you end up doing for this? It sounds like we have th same problem. A 10 month old derailleur. Shimano warranty? I am irritated to say the least.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    Easy fix for that....

SRAM X-0

mtbr member
    Yeah, I had a chain link come apart and it grabbed a spoke. Twisted the derailleur around 180 degrees, took out some spokes, and the dropout.

lbs was able to get the derailleur bent back though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martlet
    Easy fix for that....

SRAM X-0
    believe me, if I had the money lying around, I would. but that would necessitate new front and rear derailleurs as well as shifters. spending money I dont really have seeing as how I am essentially unemployed at the moment

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

warranty

I went back in to my local shop (WheatRidge, CO) and they gave me a new one under Shimano warranty. They couldn't figure it out either. Sweet deal... but the story is not done.

About 1 month ago my second Shadow broke. This time it was the tail end on the carbon inner cage (where the little hook thingy is). I didn't hit anything.. my shifting just went all crappy and almost threw my chain into the wheel. I looked down and the composite cage was broken. A new inner cage was $100 and 3 weeks out. Yeah $100 for just the inner cage. So I bought an XT from Performance for $84.. no problems..

Sorry but the shadow sucks (2 in 1 year). In fact, I'm thinking XTR is just too week for agressive riding.
    Last edited by grega; 04-12-2009 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I went back in to my local shop (WheatRidge, CO) and they gave me a new one under Shimano warranty. They couldn't figure it out either. Sweet deal... but the story is not done.

About 1 month ago my second Shadow broke. This time it was the tail end on the carbon inner cage (where the little hook thingy is). I didn't hit anything.. my shifting just went all crappy and almost threw my chain into the wheel. I looked down and the composite cage was broken. A new inner cage was $100 and 3 weeks out. Yeah $100 for just the inner cage. So I bought an XT from Performance for $84.. no problems..

Sorry but the shadow sucks (2 in 1 year). In fact, I'm thinking XTR is just too week for agressive riding.
    I sheared off my xo rear derailleur a few months ago for no apparent reason...the carbon cage just snapped in two up a rolling hill. I couldn't find a reason it happened, it was on Green Mountain for frick's sake...no sticks or large rocks to smack it with. I did buy the replacement cage, but haven't reinstalled it yet. And yes, I've been singlespeed ever since.

mtbr member

luckily I bought mine from Wheat Ridge even though I no longer live in Colorado. They hooked me up with my original receipt which I am going to send to Shimano for a warranty replacement. in the meantime, I will throw on my old XT from my hardtail on there I guess. or I could just ride the hardtail......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    It's been quite a while since I've opened one up.. but I think your spring might be uncoiled. IIRC, you should have to rotate the spring almost a full rotation when reassembling. It shouldn't be easy to reinstall and the spring should have strong rearward pressure once assembled. Again though, it's been a while since I've opened one and I'm not sure if the shadow design has changed significantly. Given it's a shadow it must be relatively new.. Might be better just to warranty. You shouldn't have to screw with this after dropping the coin for an XTR.
    Yup, my old reverse rise XTR used to uncoil. I would take it apart and recoil but it was never the same. My solution at the time was switching over to XT which have been very durable so far.