Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Damn Colorado Weather

3K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  brandonj1979 
#1 ·
Damn Colorado Weather. I've lived in Colorado most of my life so you'd think I know better. I left the house for a quick ride today after work. When I left, it was sunny with just a few clouds that didn't look threatening at all. Twenty minutes into my ride, got dumped on with rain/hail. With the helmet, the hail really didn't hurt or anything, just really annoying to ride in. Oh well, I still had fun! It was the first real mud I got for the season :)

#27 ·
Yeah, I was out at Hall yesterday afternoon and got rained on pretty good with a little bit of hail. It made for a pretty good ride since the trail didn't get too muddy in most spots. The lightening wasn't too sketchy so I kept riding. I love the back loop going CW! It's by far my favorite part of the trail. You can get the best flow going. Aside from my neck pains it was good. The rock garden was hell on my neck at the end so that sucked. grrr.

#29 ·
It's only May, it's no where near Spring yet

I've been riding the trails here since '73.

I've seen it snow in Ft Collins in June.

I've also seen every trail in the state shut down from July till Sept because of extreme drought/ fire danger.

I'll take the snow/ rain. :thumbsup:

#31 ·
SkaredShtles said:
Hey - how's the snow in Breck? Is summer likely to ever come this year?
Today was nasty up here. Off and on blizzard with sun, rain, sleet mixed in. As for the trails, they're coming along. I rode Carter park switchbacks up to hermit placer, over to the lower, middle, and part of the upper flumes. They were all dry for the most part. A couple of snowy spots here and there.

#42 ·
Drop the Seat said:
Sooo... how is that Peaks Trail looking in that there SuCo?
Rode Blair Witch, and it was totally dry. Some sections of the Colorado Trail leading up to it were a little wet, but not bad. I checked out the Peaks trail afterwards, and definitely a no go. It's still really wet (literally a river in some spots), and lots of snow. I only rode in maybe 1/2 mile (and by rode, I mean walked most of the way) and turned around. It's going to be at least a few weeks before it's rideable. Here's some pics of it. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#44 ·
zrm said:
Peaks trail is always one of the last to dry out. If you want to check up on a trail status, it's usually bette to leave your bike behind and walk. Dike tracks in wet muddy trails, especially during run off is bad for our image.
Thanks for the update Big Ben. As you can read in my post, I said I walked most of it. I'd rather walk in with my bike, just in case there are some rideable sections, which there were. Would never do anything to hurt "our" image either. Here's a pic of one of the dry parts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.