Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Damn Colorado Weather

3K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  brandonj1979 
#1 ·
Damn Colorado Weather. I've lived in Colorado most of my life so you'd think I know better. I left the house for a quick ride today after work. When I left, it was sunny with just a few clouds that didn't look threatening at all. Twenty minutes into my ride, got dumped on with rain/hail. With the helmet, the hail really didn't hurt or anything, just really annoying to ride in. Oh well, I still had fun! It was the first real mud I got for the season :)

#7 ·
was on the bike at 6p and did the loops and climbs at Falcon with no rain at all on the trail. it appears that Morrison got hammered though. Best part of riding up there, you can see where the rain is going.

The Parmalee trail has a couple of places with some serious mud and runoff issues. I will say that 98% of the trails up there are in great shape.

tomorrow might be a whole different story.

#19 ·
CEKSTOY said:
I hate the forecasters. They said the weather was going to be crap and so I didn't even get the bike out. Then it turns out to be a perfect day to ride. Damn weather guessers.
You could always form your own opinion, instead of believing everything the media tells you, ya know?

#23 ·
SkaredShtles said:
Hey - how's the snow in Breck? Is summer likely to ever come this year?
Snow just slowed down a minute ago, been snowing pretty heavy for a little while.

Not accumulating on anything but the old snow here just above breck.

oh, to answer the 2nd question... no. We had it scheduled for early may, but it's too late now. Get ready for fall.

#25 ·
SkaredShtles said:
Hey - how's the snow in Breck? Is summer likely to ever come this year?
Actually, due to the sub par snowpack this year, the melt out is pretty much on schedule. A lot of the lower elevation stuff is just a few good sunny warm days away from being snow free. (NOT the same as dry, but one step at a time). It's supposed to warm up and dry out a bit starting tomorrow/Fri and through the beginning of next week so I'd expect to see things moving along within the range of what can be called "normal"

As to skiing, the new snow has covered up the dust for now. That's good in that it will keep the snow from getting sun cupped so fast. It hasn't really been true corn yet. With the cloud cover it hasn't been real cold at night. The upper snowpack has been saturated with maybe a little bit of powder on top until the sun pops out which quickly turns it to glop which doesn't quite freeze hard like you'd like to see. From an avalanche point of view, I don't trust it as much as i would normally trust a mid May snow pack. The dust layer(s) is definitely a weakness too. There's been good skiing, but I'm not totally sure it's ready to really push the boldest of lines, at least not with my level of acceptance of risk.

#26 ·
The dust is still almost 2 feet down where I ride!

from sunday.

Dumping here now, monster flakes (and considering the general flakiness of summit county... that's saying a lot!)

Agree with zrm 100% about the snowpack stability though, less stable than I'd like for the big stuff. Saw two slides this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.