Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go hard or go home

Damage from Jumps Building in NM

Hey there,

I know this is the Front Range forum (and I am a Front Ranger, so there) but there was a new article that came across my desk about vigilante trail/jumps building in NM, thought people might want to see it here...lets not do that in Colorado, eh??

Bureau of Land Management personnel said heavy equipment was needed to build a track of seven, 5-foot ramps in the Glade Run Recreation Area in New Mexico, and said the construction of those jumps probably destroyed fragile plants and possibly artifacts that cannot be restored by simply moving the dirt back to where it was.
    Farmington Daily Times

Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin4131
    cannot be restored by simply moving the dirt back to where it was.
    Long time no post Sinjin, hope NM is treatin you well.

Sounds like they should leave the jumps as is....

I mean - that sucks if they destroyed a fragile environment, but the damage done... the land will recover.

The local BMX kids in my hood build some sweet stuff, I really like it.
    The city would never build anything half as cool. If Farmington built some stuff for the kids, this may not have happened.

Anything that keeps kids (or young adults) riding and not gettin into trouble or doin drugs, I'm all for.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Your retarded
    Bureau of Land Management personnel said heavy equipment was needed to build a track of seven, 5-foot ramps in the Glade Run Recreation Area in New Mexico, and said the construction of those jumps probably destroyed fragile plants and possibly artifacts that cannot be restored by simply moving the dirt back to where it was.
    Farmington Daily Times
    Go BLM! Sounds like they are starting to understand the supply/demand curve. Either they build designated features in designated areas and isolate any damage, or random jumps get built in random areas which could make for more total damage, but over a larger area. Regardless, features will be built. The demand is there, and there is no denying that. I'm just glad the BLM folks are at least trying to meet that demand, even if it means damaging a small, but isolated area.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Go BLM! Either they build designated features in designated areas and isolate any damage, or random jumps get built in random areas which could make for more total damage, but over a larger area. Regardless, features will be built.
    You forgot: "or they close the area to ALL bikes". Which I would bet is more likely to happen before the BLM even thinks about building stunts.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I know a few XC racer types who got Sleeping Giant closed down to bikes about 12 years ago by not knowing how to brake effectively and nearly running over an old bird watcher while on a training ride.

Let's not let this happen here, alright?
    Last edited by Godzilla; 03-26-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Now with more vitriol!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla

Thats no fun... If you can't contribute to the start of a huge flame fest, then why are you on here

Oh yeah.... go kids!

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Thats no fun... If you can't contribute to the start of a huge flame fest, then why are you on here

Oh yeah.... go kids!
    Fixed.
    Now with more vitriol!

Thread Terrorist
    Hey there,

, and said the construction of those jumps probably destroyed fragile plants and possibly artifacts that cannot be restored by simply moving the dirt back to where it was.
    Farmington Daily Times

Okay... I know there are reasons why people shouldn't do things, but I HATE it when they blame it on little plants.

We should look at the F'n damage I-70 has caused.... we should rip it all up because of precious little rocks might get damaged
    Last edited by IndecentExposure; 03-27-2008 at 06:04 AM.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Go BLM!
    Maybe you were being sarcastic, but the BLM is PISSED that someone else used heavy equipment to build these jumps.

http://www.daily-times.com/news/ci_8698343

That certainly validates your point on demand. Someone went to great lengths to build these. A quote from the article that validates that point and that point only (mine and yours):
    "Kids looking for jumps don't have too many options, Rockin' H Racing owner Scott Hawkes said.

"What good is that dirt anyway if you can't enjoy it with a jump?" Hawkes said."

If the gubment dont build it, the kids will.....

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Okay... I know there are reasons why people shouldn't do things, but I HATE it when they blame it on little plants.

We should look at the F'n damage I-70 has cause.... we should rip it all up because of precious little rocks might get damaged
    I sooo agree. I mean, I love the outdoors more than anyone, but I think some get caught up in details and miss the bigger picture. These kids moved DIRT.
    Sinjin did this article no justice by quoting that section and that section only. I will input another quote to make my point:

" the 19,000 square acres of federal land is littered with unnatural drilling wells, oil and gas operators "

Full article: http://www.daily-times.com/news/ci_8698343
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 03-26-2008 at 09:00 PM.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Looking at those pictures, I'm not so sure that heavy machinery was used. I have a feeling that none of these people have ever seen djs before.
    7 piles? Somewhere theres a lonely landing without a jump.

friend of Apex
    I'm not sure the "or they close the area to ALL bikes" argument is valid here. This isn't about mtn bikers ridin out of control and hitting hikers, this is about some people building jumps off of the trail.

skillz to pay billz
    heavy equipment a quarter mile from a major intersection?

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Maybe you were being sarcastic, but the BLM is PISSED that someone else used heavy equipment to build these jumps.

http://www.daily-times.com/news/ci_8698343
    I wasn't actually. Until you posted a link, the only source I had to read was the excerpt Sinjin4131 posted which said "Bureau of Land Management personnel said heavy equipment was needed to build a track of seven, 5-foot ramps in the Glade Run Recreation Area in New Mexico." The way I read that, it sounded like the BLM built the jumps and someone (the article writer) is pissed that they did. Your article changes that a bit, but like you agreed with, it also proves that the supply is failing the demand.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Go hard or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    I sooo agree. I mean, I love the outdoors more than anyone, but I think some get caught up in details and miss the bigger picture. These kids moved DIRT.
    Sinjin did this article no justice by quoting that section and that section only. I will input another quote to make my point:

" the 19,000 square acres of federal land is littered with unnatural drilling wells, oil and gas operators "

Full article: http://www.daily-times.com/news/ci_8698343
    In my own defense, I only quoted what I was sent...so I'M SORRY!!!
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

friend of Apex
    In my own defense, I only quoted what I was sent...so I'M SORRY!!!
    Didn't mean to flame Sinj, but the rest of the article had a lot more info.

Farmington should really build something for these kids, and this probably wouldn't happen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I wonder if these are the same d!cktards that Mounatin Flyer featured a couple issues back? Yeah, d!cktards.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Seriously BLM -- how about we address the REAL destruction caused by the mineral, Uranium, and oil exploration/extraction?!!! can you poison some more of our precious groundwater and permanently scar the planet anymore? oh sorry, they have lobby dollars and you're also too busy trying to bust dirt jumpers killing a plant? UNREAL!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry, but this whole thread makes my blood boil. The BLM is a disgrace and has been bought out by oil interests! Talk about HIPPOCRITICAL! killing a few plants? How about the complete and utter devastation to the Western Slope for a few drops of oil. Start here: http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_8562468 (there are countless other articles like this, due a google search)

The federal Bureau of Land Management stuck to its original plan to allow drilling on the top of the wildlife-rich plateau near Rifle ó limiting disturbances by well pads and roads to 350 acres at any one time.
    The agency refused to require exploration in phases or to increase the environmentally protected off-limit areas requested by Ritter.
    "There are some areas where we cannot meet the desires of the state of Colorado, specifically with regard to leasing," said Stephen Allred, the BLM's assistant secretary for land

Stand back
    Yeah, ridiculous - they're speculating about what might've been harmed when there are huge obvious sources of damage all around that they ok'd. I guess that's the key, if they ok it, then it's automatically environmentally friendly.
    See also: The FS and Winterpark's once beautiful, now defunct trail...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

..ouch
    ...and said the construction of those jumps probably destroyed fragile plants and possibly artifacts that cannot be restored by simply moving the dirt back to where it was.
    Actual article reads:
    "The digging, likely done with a backhoe or bucket-loader, could have destroyed artifacts and damaged plant life, both of which are irreparable by simply putting the dirt back where it came from."

So, they're not even stating anything was actually damaged, just that it "could" have been.

And heavy equipment?? It's funny that these BLM guys can't imagine that someone could actually build something with a shovel and a little hard work. They're probably too used to watching giant tracked monsters from the oil companies plowing around to think that manual labor still exists. This entire article just highlights the sad irony of what the BLM has become.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    Seriously BLM -- how about we address the REAL destruction caused by the mineral, Uranium, and oil exploration/extraction?!!! can you poison some more of our precious groundwater and permanently scar the planet anymore? oh sorry, they have lobby dollars and you're also too busy trying to bust dirt jumpers killing a plant? UNREAL!
    They need those minerals, uranium, and oil to produce mountain bikes, get people to their trails, and run the computers from which you're posting.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    They need those minerals, uranium, and oil to produce mountain bikes, get people to their trails, and run the computers from which you're posting.
    And all this time I thought my bike was made from aluminum, not uranium.
    Where you been Sh!tles?

trail waggler

It's cruel...

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Behavior to slap a person in the face with reality...

Gotta be careful welding up those uranium frames...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You guys sure are dense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast