Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Perpetually single track

Dakota Ridge today?

Any interest? Thinking a start time around 4:00/4:30pm from the green mtn. c470 lot, up zorro and a loop...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member

that could work

...or this.

(though i might just get stir crazy and have to head out a bit earlier).

i'll take a peek back here after lunch.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Perpetually single track
    I could do White too...though I wonder what's really open up there...besides mustang/belcher..

mtbr member
    true, i'm a bit skeptical myself.

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    true, i'm a bit skeptical myself.
    Yeah...I'm happy to wait another week on white. A DR/MW loop would make me quite content and I know it'll be 99% good.

mtbr member
    I would but Im thikning my technical skills would make me the slow guy that everyone has to wait for.

eci
    dakota is fully dry cept for the steps right above zorro

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    so, it sounds like Dakota is dry, but how about the Matthew winters loop? Anyone been on that as well?
    Also, the previous poster states: "dakota is fully dry cept for the steps right above zorro"

where are said steps? not familiar with zorro.

Green Hornet
    Lower MW trail was dry Saturday with the very small exception of a little snow near the northern trail split. You can ride it and stay in the middle of the trail the whole time (no real damage). Keep an eye out for a chunk of my elbow, it will be near the red stained dirt... Apparently when turning and going over a step you should not grab your front brake?

GM was in great shape yesterday at 3:00. North facing shady spots are still really muddy.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabdog
    so, it sounds like Dakota is dry, but how about the Matthew winters loop? Anyone been on that as well?
    Also, the previous poster states: "dakota is fully dry cept for the steps right above zorro"

where are said steps? not familiar with zorro.
    Didnt do Morrison Slide, but Red Rocks trail is 90% dry. You will get mud on your bike, but nothing too terrible.

Zorro connects to Dakota Ridge right before the big stairs section. Theres a fast downhill into a saddle on the ridge, and at the bottom of the saddle, you will see Zorro branch off to the left (Assuming you are doing Dakota/MW loop in the clockwise direction). Dakota starts going up and you get to said stairs section

Perpetually single track
    looks like it'll be 4:30pm, blue heckler, grey civic, ugly mug.

mtbr member

thanks kirk

ibmkidIII, aka:

nice work on those steps!
    though i think the attractive blonde in the lycra shorts and the devil horns might have been key to your success.

ahh, springtime.
    -

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

you da man

Kirk! I think that those stairs are just too easy for you. I will no longer be impressed until you can do it blindfolded.

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    Kirk! I think that those stairs are just too easy for you. I will no longer be impressed until you can do it blindfolded.
    Thanks guys...but honestly, I was severely humbled today. I can count on one (maybe two) hands how many times I've cleaned that section...

And the woman today cleaned it...and while I would have been impressed no matter who cleaned it, my pathetically (only mildy?) sexist arse was more impressed that a woman cleaned it...

She did say I inspired her after she cleaned it...I think it might have been her first time up.
    Generally I'm not too inspiring, so that was cool...

Nice ride Terry, always good to get out...next time we need to be done by 6:00.
    Last edited by ibmkidIII; 03-24-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

norm! ... er, i mean, scrubby!

were your ears burning earlier this evening? your name came up over a post-ride beverage...

i hear congratulations may be in order.

btw, just how many bikes have you gone through since moving out east?
    -

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    were your ears burning earlier this evening? your name came up over a post-ride beverage...

i hear congratulations may be in order.

btw, just how many bikes have you gone through since moving out east?
    Sheesh, not that many! Had the new ti hardtail frame to replace the Peyto made. The Peyto is now a rigid SS, with sizing and abngles way more fun than my old Ionic SS.

Swapped the Covert frame for a Preston. Didn't like the fit/feel of the Preston. Swapped it for a lowly Iron Horse Yakuza frame. That fits, feels, and rides much nicer for what I like.

Yeah, should just kept the 67 frame all along...

Lotsa' changes. Ditching the travel nurse gig to hire on local, and we are moving much closer to both our respective work places. We'll both be able to easily bike to work.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Damn Kirk.. Just rode there yesterday around 1pm with FrontRanger. I was waxing all nostalgic about the time I saw you clean the steps, all the while pushing my bike up them. I was so proud of myself for rolling several parts that I had never cleaned because of fear. Yesterday I had the mojo working (right up to the point of my uphill endo on MW/RR rock steps).. lol Oh well, great ride and a fun day no matter how windy it got on top...

mtbr member
    wow. I think I have made it up one and a half of those steps on my best day. Id like to see someone do it in person. never have

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    so, how was Red Rocks/MW yesterday?

Sounds like Dakota ridge is dry, but i normally like to start at the bottom of the red rocks trail, up MW, cross the road, and down dakota.

Suggestions?

thanks!

mtbr member
    MW/RR is acceptable... the usual northerly-faced turns as you dip down & up back to the TH (clockwise loop towards DR) still have snow and mud, but we're talking a hundred yards or so total. rest of the trail is dry.
    -

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is it possible to do dakota ridge as an out and back? Like, start at RR, up Dakota, and then back?
    never tried it this way...

To be honest, I have this new ride, and I don't want to muddy it up yet (). I know, i'm a sally! I said it!

Perpetually single track
    Is it possible to do dakota ridge as an out and back? Like, start at RR, up Dakota, and then back?

To be honest, I have this new ride, and I don't want to muddy it up yet (). I know, i'm a sally! I said it!
    Sure, you can do it as an out and back...more technical rock uphills that I bet you didn't notice going north to south, but will sure notice going this direction. There's some slop still by the stairs though that I suppose you could carry the pristine bike over...

mtbr member

I dont see why not. Just turn around when you get to the fire-road. Or you could start at the Hogback parking lot, and just turn around when you get to the road.

Light freak
    Mathew Winters was awesome this morning at 5:15 am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast