Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Dakota/MW update

Rode this afternoon. Dakota is pretty much all dry. MW is relatively muddy just before the two "creeks/gully" and very muddy for about 1/8 mile before the parking lot. Other than that it is all good.

My cup runneth over
    Cool, thanks for the update.

locked - time out
    The whole loop was in pretty good shape this morning (Sat)

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    The whole loop was in pretty good shape this morning (Sat)
    Yes, all of MW is in excellent shape, particularly considering it's January. FYI: I don't recommend attempting Alderfer yet. Tried it today, both sides. The ice is bad, thick, slick and everywhere. Ended up turning around to catch MW.

BTW, anybody else see the rollover? It was wild! I was climbing up the Red Rocks trail (after crossing Highway 7) and a car came flying off the upper road and rolled down the embankment at least 6 times. Witnessed the whole thing. I ran up to help, (the car was smashed like a sandwhich), but by the time I got there, the kid driving had gotten himself out and was walking away. Insane. Right out of a freaking Quinn Martin production.

"I want it now!"
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    Yes, all of MW is in excellent shape, particularly considering it's January. FYI: I don't recommend attempting Alderfer yet. Tried it today, both sides. The ice is bad, thick, slick and everywhere. Ended up turning around to catch MW.

BTW, anybody else see the rollover? It was wild! I was climbing up the Red Rocks trail (after crossing Highway 7) and a car came flying off the upper road and rolled down the embankment at least 6 times. Witnessed the whole thing. I ran up to help, (the car was smashed like a sandwhich), but by the time I got there, the kid driving had gotten himself out and was walking away. Insane. Right out of a freaking Quinn Martin production.
    what time were you there tvc? must have missed you. rode the loop all by myself. i finally made the right turn and water-bar-stair segment on dakota! first time in a while. lets ride tomorrow.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15

That's crazy - we missed it.That'd be a real bummer to be working your way up that section of trail and have a car land on you.

I rode GM with SDizzle and ibmkid a couple of weeks ago during a snow storm, and when we returned to the parking lot off of Rooney, there was an Explorer upside down in the parking lot. It had apparently slid about halfway down the embankment (from 470) before flipping, and there where about a dozen firemen cutting the top off of the thing to pull the driver out.

icegeek is hot
    That's crazy - we missed it.That'd be a real bummer to be working your way up that section of trail and have a car land on you.

I rode GM with SDizzle and ibmkid a couple of weeks ago during a snow storm, and when we returned to the parking lot off of Rooney, there was an Explorer upside down in the parking lot. It had apparently slid about halfway down the embankment (from 470) before flipping, and there where about a dozen firemen cutting the top off of the thing to pull the driver out.
    Hey s1ingletrack, that's exactly what I thought; after seeing the dude was OK of course. Before that I was just worried about what carnage was left in the car.

Hey Veruca: Sorry I missed you yesterday. We were riding sometime around noon. I didn't ride today; well, actually did a road ride. Gotta get in shape, ya know ...

mtbr member

Good job!

Sunday I rode GM -> Zorro took a left onto Dakota -> Red Rocks -> MW trailhead, crossed the road went up to Dakota back to Zorro and down.
    There was a small bit of mud at the "steps" at the top of Zorro. DR was bone dry and in great shape, hardly any dust. RR was dry the switchback where Morrison Slide joins up with RR was a sheet of ICE. I tried the turn (no problem w/o ice) and crashed. Got up took a step and went down again. A hiker shortcut the turn and barely missed me cause her line was icy too. The bottom of RR/MW by the creek was a little muddy. Crowded? Yes. Problems(like Hall)? No. Great ride? You bet!

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    Sunday I rode GM -> Zorro took a left onto Dakota -> Red Rocks -> MW trailhead, crossed the road went up to Dakota back to Zorro and down.
    There was a small bit of mud at the "steps" at the top of Zorro. DR was bone dry and in great shape, hardly any dust. RR was dry the switchback where Morrison Slide joins up with RR was a sheet of ICE. I tried the turn (no problem w/o ice) and crashed. Got up took a step and went down again. A hiker shortcut the turn and barely missed me cause her line was icy too. The bottom of RR/MW by the creek was a little muddy. Crowded? Yes. Problems(like Hall)? No. Great ride? You bet!
    Did you complete the loop around GM after dropping back down Zorro? My favorite figure-8 ride! the last few times dropping into the MW ice slide I have just gotten off, laid my bike on my lap and slid down on by behind - S1ngltrack doesn't seem to have any trouble riding down that section (d#^% him!)

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    (d#^% him!)
    Uh... I think that would be...

"d#^% him to HECK!"

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    the last few times dropping into the MW ice slide I have just gotten off, laid my bike on my lap and slid down on by behind - S1ngltrack doesn't seem to have any trouble riding down that section (d#^% him!)
    Go earlier, the four of us rode it with no problems on Sat (following S1ngletrack the whole way) and it wasn't slick at all. 'Course we left the Rooney parking lot @ 8am and it was pretty chilly.

mtbr member

Good job!

Did you complete the loop around GM after dropping back down Zorro? My favorite figure-8 ride! the last few times dropping into the MW ice slide I have just gotten off, laid my bike on my lap and slid down on by behind - S1ngltrack doesn't seem to have any trouble riding down that section (d#^% him!)
    Had to beat it home, and it was about 4,30 when I got off Zorro. I like to do the loop around GM first, but, next time I go I'll leave extra time to do another loop after.
    I agree: "d#^% him to HECK!" Obviously you finish the turn before you hit the slide for life part, and then you ???? Help a guy out.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    Obviously you finish the turn before you hit the slide for life part, and then you ???? Help a guy out.
    Not to sound like a Mt Dew commercial or anything - but you point it downhill and stay off of the brakes - and think light

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Go earlier, the four of us rode it with no problems on Sat (following S1ngletrack the whole way) and it wasn't slick at all. 'Course we left the Rooney parking lot @ 8am and it was pretty chilly.
    Pardon the question but how can it be less (ice) slick at 8:00 am when you rode it than at 2:30 pm (also Saturday)??? It wasn't that cold. Do I have to d@#$ the rest of you guys to HECK too????

Perpetually single track
    Really what it is, is speed....you have to have lots and lots of speed.

http://www.kirkmetz.com/NYD2005/scrubby_gully.MPG
    http://www.kirkmetz.com/NYD2005/kw_gully.MPG

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Pardon the question but how can it be less (ice) slick at 8:00 am when you rode it than at 2:30 pm (also Saturday)??? It wasn't that cold. Do I have to d@#$ the rest of you guys to HECK too????
    Dunno' about the 2:30PM part since by then I was doing honeydews and not riding. We rode it at 8:00AM and it was still frozen/not slick from overnight.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    still frozen/not slick
    This would seem contradictory to me, but I didn't ride it and you did.

At Walker on Saturday there were some sections that were frozen, but very slick. They were rideable if you kept off the brakes and kept it very straight. As soon as you try to turn and/or starting leaning its over before you know it and you're left to pick yourself up.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    This would seem contradictory to me, but I didn't ride it and you did.

At Walker on Saturday there were some sections that were frozen, but very slick. They were rideable if you kept off the brakes and kept it very straight. As soon as you try to turn and/or starting leaning its over before you know it and you're left to pick yourself up.
    Coupla' reasons. One, when people use it when it's slushy, it's doesn't get smooth on top, but cobbly as it refreezes and it has all kinds of dirt whathaveyou in it. You hit it when it's still frozen, before it starts to thaw, and you're golden. Once you get the thin layer of water on top, it's teflon.

Don't know if this second bit would apply here, but for ice to be slick you have to get the boundary layer of water between it and you or your bike tire or car tire or ice skate or whatever. Without the boundary layer of water, ice isn't slick at all, and the colder it gets, the more ground pressure you need to create the boundary layer of water. Two things can create that boundary layer of water: heat or pressure. Your bike tire imparts pressure on the ground (e.g., ground pressure) at a rate consistent with your tire pressure (32 PSI of air in your tires also means you're applying 32PSI of pressure on the ground when you're on the bike). So again, if the combination of ice temperature and ground pressure does not allow the boundary layer of water to form, riding on ice is just like riding on any other smooth solid surface.

I used to ride my bike up and down the sea ice runway at McMurdo Station, Antarctica and I could corner quite hard with just regular tires (Conti's 'cuz they're made out of natural rubber and latex tubes as they wouldn't crack in cold temps like regular rubber will). It's like riding on a linoleum.

Perpetually single track
    Interesting....not sure I believe it though. Could you please write a 10 page essay for my review on the subject. I'll cross reference it for accuracy.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Interesting....not sure I believe it though. Could you please write a 10 page essay for my review on the subject. I'll cross reference it for accuracy.
    The clif notes version: Take my word for it, it's all true.

mtbr member

Good job!

Not to sound like a Mt Dew commercial or anything - but you point it downhill and stay off of the brakes - and think light
    Got it "think light". I was thinking moto-baby,just moto.

My cup runneth over
    Coupla' reasons.
    I used to ride my bike up and down the sea ice runway at McMurdo Station, Antarctica and I could corner quite hard with just regular tires (Conti's 'cuz they're made out of natural rubber and latex tubes as they wouldn't crack in cold temps like regular rubber will). It's like riding on a linoleum.
    OK, no HECK for you guys...

all end up here someday
    The clif notes version: Take my word for it, it's all true.

Yeah, you are right. Winter/snow rides are always better when it's colder. Once the snow starts melting and you have that slushmud mix, it's a lot slicker than packed snow and ice. Doesn't seem like it should be like that, but it is. I think it must be due to the melting/freezing patterns it goes through on the trail. Perhaps the dirt that gets mixed in with it almost gives it a "sandpaper" effect?
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

mtbr member

When it gets that bad you have 2 choices. Look like a jacky and ride it on your ass or try to ride it and end up looking like more of a jacky! The hardest part is making the switchback! Great vids!

mtbr member

Good job!

Just looked at the vids, butt slide just ain't my style. At least not intentionally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast