Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    friend of Apex

Daddy needs a new pair of shoes

My sh1tmanos are toast. My feet hurt when I hike-my-bike. Bottoms of my feet go sleepy sleep on long rides.

What are the best shoes for the Front Range?

Lookin for comfy, cool, quick drying, fairly light, and being able to hike without wincing would be a bonus.

Discuss.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

lucky enough
    think you can post a bigger pic?
    I'm riding with PI. More of a HAB shoe.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

The 5th knuckle

Bontrager SSR Multi-Sport

I'm pretty happy with mine. They have a 30 day no questions like it or leave it policy.

Name:  3208.480.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  54.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post

What are the best shoes for the Front Range?

Discuss.
    What tires do you run, and will you be shuttling apex in these new shoes?

joking aside... I have worn these for years..
    They are great for riding, the stiff sole is less great for hiking...

Team Velveeta™
    ...What are the best shoes for the Front Range?

Lookin for comfy, cool, quick drying, fairly light, and being able to hike without wincing would be a bonus...
    I've been pleased with my Pearl Izumi shoes. Pretty sure mine are these:

MTB FOOTWEAR

But the pair shown here is a fairly dignified color scheme, where mine are your basic clown shoes.

I had a pair of x-alps where the velcro got too weak to stick, and they swapped them out fast for brand new and better ones.

Colorado Company.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    think you can post a bigger pic?
    I probably can.

Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    What tires do you run, and will you be shuttling apex in these new shoes?

butcher/purgatory
    captain/ground control

um, is there anywhere else to ride besides Apex?

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I've been pleased with my Pearl Izumi shoes. Pretty sure mine are these:

MTB FOOTWEAR

Colorado Company.
    I've been looking at those shoes in particular. Good to hear about warranties and local peeps.
    -How is the fit? Most reviews say they run small. I wear a 44 in shimano.
    -Real life use, how do they feel on the trail? Hiking?

Team Velveeta™
    ...I've been looking at those shoes in particular. Good to hear about warranties and local peeps.
    -How is the fit? Most reviews say they run small. I wear a 44 in shimano.
    -Real life use, how do they feel on the trail? Hiking?
    I have a narrow foot. I wear a 47 in Sidi, and I wear a 47 PI. I had a pair of 48 and my feet swam around in them. The PI shoes do feel roomier than a Sidi Dominator, but what doesn't?

They hike great. Better than my trail runner shoes. They are a little heavy, but that's because the tread is so gummy and burly. They hike great.

I've been riding Sidi Dominators as my main shoe for about 15 years. So I'm used to a really stiff sole. On my geared bike the PI shoes are just fine. When singlespeeding I can feel a little flex.

Awesomist™
    I've been wearing Shimano DX downhill shoes as my everything shoe for a number of years. H3ll, there was even a few months when I wore them on the roadie bike. The fit is nice, even on my wide, flat foot. They hike pretty well, although they don't have a heavily lugged soul. They've lasted pretty well. Although it's more of a skate-style soul, the shank itself is pretty dang stiff. These are the ones I has:

I just recently got meh-self a pair o' fancy Louis Garneau T-Flex LS100 fairy slippers, though. And I'll have to admit, they're pretty nice. While they don't seem leaps and bounds stiffer than the Shimano DH shoes, they are noticeably lighter and cooler. They have a Boa lace system which I really like, although you gotta watch it as it's pretty easy to over-tighten and have your foot fall asleep. The good news is, you can micro-adjust the tightness while you're riding, so not that big of a deal. The souls are either a really firm rubber or a sorta soft plastic, they're not the best thing I've pushed a bike up a hill in but they are far from the worst, by far. After a bunch of Pue'lo miles, 150+ miles on the Kokopelli Trail, and a bunch of local rides later they seem like they'll be decently durable.

If you wanna stick yer hoof in either of these bad larry's lemme know. I wear a 45 in Shimano, and the LG's are 45 as well. A little big, but should give you an idea.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

The 5th knuckle
    Like wearing a tennis shoe. I thinks Lubes has the same ones. I do more HAB than most and I really like them. Good traction and feel. I like them most because my feet tend to swell a lot while riding and I don't run into any pinching issues. They did soak up a bunch of water this morning but such is life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    real happy with my bontrager rxl's...light and comfy.

Rides Uphill Slow
    I ditched my Sidis a few seasons ago, went with 5.10 freerides (kinda heavy for trail riding) but have switched to Teva Links. So far so good. Much lighter than the freerides and way better to hike a bike in than clipped shoes.
    I'm here for the downhill

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler View Post
    I ditched my Sidis a few seasons ago, went with 5.10 freerides (kinda heavy for trail riding) but have switched to Teva Links. So far so good. Much lighter than the freerides and way better to hike a bike in than clipped shoes.
    Sidis are so compelling as pedaling shoes, at least to me, but I hope I never have to hike in them again. They don't wear out though. I have two pair that are totally beat, missing parts of their soles, lorica almost worn through, but they still work. Then I have a like new pair that I use mostly for road.

Last year in the CB Classic, I was on 401, totally exhausted. I was trying to get through that little dip near the top, scrambling. Had a handhold with my left, pushed the bike ahead of me with my right, sidis lost their traction on the rocks and I dropped and yanked my left shoulder. Still fuggin' hurts 8 months later. Damn Italian Loafers.

But as annoyed with them as I get when I have to walk (or rock climb), they are hard to throw away. They last a crazy long time.

mtbr member
    I'm done w/ the racy race roadie shoes w/ treads. Walkability in a HAB situation ranks higher than needing to look like a roadie w/ knobs. These are Shimano MT70, but I think they might be discontinued. They have similar still

Daddy needs a new pair of shoes-22313.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I'm done w/ the racy race roadie shoes w/ treads. Walkability in a HAB situation ranks higher than needing to look like a roadie w/ knobs. These are Shimano MT70, but I think they might be discontinued. They have similar still

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22313.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	805638
    See post #1 to see how they look when used/abused.

Fairly certain I'm jumpin ship to Pearl Izumi, although waiting to see the Teva clip ins

mtbr member
    See post #1 to see how they look when used/abused.

Fairly certain I'm jumpin ship to Pearl Izumi, although waiting to see the Teva clip ins
    Those be the MT70s? How long have you had them? Are you going racy race now?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Awesomist™
    Lookin for comfy, cool, quick drying, fairly light, and being able to hike without wincing would be a bonus.
    Also, methinks you're asking for a tall order here... for instance the Shimano DX fits everything you want, except the "fairly light" and "cool" categories, as will most things in the AM/DH/FR category. Other shoes that have been mentioned are gonna lack in the in the hiking department, the LG's I have included. I deal with it, since I've had worse (Sidis and Northwaves for instance). Lots of shoes will just fall apart in a season. There's only ONE shoe I have heard of that does everything you want. Kaplow:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Hirsch just got a pair of these, shortly after the hell that is hike-a-biking several sections of gnar in Moab, and swears by them only a lot.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    shortly after the hell that is hike-a-biking several sections of gnar in Moab, and swears by them only a lot.
    Hiking in Moab? No way... that's all *totally* rideable, bro.

Chairman of the Beard
    Yes, Rimes. They're the bomb. No regrets, great for hiking, great for biking.

Strongly disliked my mid level Pearl Izumi shoes I had before - too narrow, never quite fit right, a little hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Also, methinks you're asking for a tall order here... for instance the Shimano DX fits everything you want, except the "fairly light" and "cool" categories, as will most things in the AM/DH/FR category. Other shoes that have been mentioned are gonna lack in the in the hiking department, the LG's I have included. I deal with it, since I've had worse (Sidis and Northwaves for instance). Lots of shoes will just fall apart in a season. There's only ONE shoe I have heard of that does everything you want. Kaplow:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Hirsch just got a pair of these, shortly after the hell that is hike-a-biking several sections of gnar in Moab, and swears by them only a lot.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Hiking in Moab? No way... that's all *totally* rideable, bro.
    Your mom's totally rideable.

Boom.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Shimano FTMFW

Listen to your friend Full Trucker he knows. The DX will get you KOM on Crosier

I've been sporting the DX's for many years now. The BEST shoe evah!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

I work in .001 tolerances
    These bad boy shiman0s have treated me right over a year now. Semi-flexible, breathable, semi-light, and uses real rubber on the sole. Not some rubber tipped hard @ss piece of plastic.

HAB friendly

Name:  10-8433-BLW-ANGLE.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  10.7 KB

Noticed after I bought them that Mark Wier rocks these foot puppies too. Mark Wier FTW

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Daddy needs a new pair of shoes

Another vote for PI, these in particular: http://www.rei.com/product/828574/pe...ike-shoes-mens

Fantastic for the HAB, bulky for the abuse. Run a size small. First pair of bike shoes I've had where I'll finish at least 2-4 post ride beers before remembering to take them off. That's gotta be worth somethin. Crush beer cans like a boss.

HAHA PWN
    I'm a big fan of those PI. Been waiting for these those since I got a few tears in mine.

Pearl Izumi X Project Mountain Bike Shoes Reviewed | Bicycling Magazine

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhom View Post
    I'm a big fan of those PI. Been waiting for these those since I got a few tears in mine.

Pearl Izumi Green Shoes
    Yeah, they look pretty cool, what with all that Crabon Fibre and stuff, but I just can't afford to buy a new green bike right now...

Like LittleBitey says, My X-Alps are really comfy. When I was working at an aid station at the Gunnison Growler couple weeks ago I put mine on first thing in the morning day 2 to ride down and Marshall a turn into the Enchanted Forest Trail. Around 10 AM I went back up to work the station. At the end of the day, late afternoon after all day trotting around getting riders water, pickle juice, bacon, and PBR I went to get in my truck and noticed I was still wearing them. Never even occurred to me to change to my normal walking-around shoes...

Couple days later on my way out for a ride I couldn't clip in. Turned them over and saw that I'd stepped on some kind of phewd bar that day and it had hardened into semi-concrete up around the cleat. Had to take a screw driver to it to clear the way to clip in.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    X-Alps didn't fit me worth a damn. Just walking around the store they were painful... so YMMV and try 'em on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast