Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Cyclist Struck by Black Audi on 17th 7/9/2013

Driving up 17th this morning I saw a cyclist and a man in a black Audi having words headed eastbound on 17th around Logan St. Audi took off, slammed on the brakes to try and get the cyclist to slam into him from behind, as the cyclist swerved to the left to avoid collision the Audi swerved left and gunned it, striking the cyclist and knocking him into traffic. I was in the left lane, dodged the cyclist that had been hit into traffic while the audi took off southbound on Pensylvania. I turned onto the next street and tried to track down the Audi but was unsuccessful. I called in the indecent and returned to the scene where witnesses had gathered around the cyclist. Apparently another car behind the Audi was able to follow him long enough to get his plates! I hope that psychopath burns in hell!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    I hope that psychopath burns in hell!
    Good on you for attempting to get the plate!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Thread Terrorist
    I hope he gets caught and charged with attempted murder.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cyclist Stuck by Audi in an apparent Road Rage incident | 303Cycling News

If anyone knows dude, please put me in touch. I was too fired up on adrenaline after the chase to remember to get his info. His name was Eric I believe. MTB commuter bike with a polo stick in his bag. Long hair.

cbw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    I hope he gets caught and charged with attempted murder.
    We can only hope. It's great news that someone got the plates. Hope we get a follow up on this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbw View Post
    We can only hope. It's great news that someone got the plates. Hope we get a follow up on this.
    I'm hoping to be put in touch with the victim. Will report back when I hear of any arrests etc...

mtbr member
    Even if they catch this douche, I'm sure he'd only get like a misdemenour $200 ticket. Sad.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    If they catch him, we will probably never hear about it. Is there a way to find out about hit and run arrests through public records?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm really hoping to hear about it through the victim. I've posted on 303cyclist.com in the hopes that he reads it and responds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was down in Denver today (and at 17th and Logan) and stuff was just crazy down there all day.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    I'm really hoping to hear about it through the victim. I've posted on 303cyclist.com in the hopes that he reads it and responds.
    Wouldn't hurt to call Salvagetti or the Bicycle Cafe they may know of the victim/incident(mtb commuter w/polo stick that hood).

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Even if they catch this douche, I'm sure he'd only get like a misdemenour $200 ticket. Sad.
    You know, I think we all dislike how litigious people in the USA are becoming. I know I dislike it. But if the police and criminal courts are going to continue waving off this kind of crap as unfortunate accidents, I think the cyclists in this country are going to have to take to the civil courts to get perpetrators punished.

That black Audi fscker needs to get himself sued really good.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I've been involved in 5 hit-and-runs while commuting in Denver. Each time I had a full plate number, description of the vehicle and the driver. In every instance the DPD told me they would look for the vehicle. Not once did a detective get assigned to the case, nor was any driver charged. Thankfully, I escaped injury in all the incidents. DPD has a terrible history (as do all police departments) in cases like this.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    I've been involved in 5 hit-and-runs while commuting in Denver. Each time I had a full plate number, description of the vehicle and the driver. In every instance the DPD told me they would look for the vehicle. Not once did a detective get assigned to the case, nor was any driver charged. Thankfully, I escaped injury in all the incidents. DPD has a terrible history (as do all police departments) in cases like this.
    The odd's don't look that good. Pretty sad state of affairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    This happens too much in Colorado, and has happened to me numerous times. I've called and reported incidents to CSP, and they find the car/owner (if you have plate) and issue a reckless driving ticket - that is it. But better to do something than nothing at all - most of these people have a history of bike/driver incidents, so at least you're putting it on their permanent record.

I did it all for the kudo
    Hearing crap like this really pisses me off.... Hopefully they find that d#ckhead
    Seriously, now a days people drive their cars like weapons, like there's no consequences for hitting someone or running someone off the road. So much so that I said f#ck it, sold my motorcycle and d#mn near quit riding my old roadbike. The trails are where it's at.

mtbr member
    I think Tom P has the right idea. You should have taken them all to civil court (wearing a neck brace of course!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Some of the craziness I witnessed today was the high count of helmetless riders blasting through red lights right in front of me. That's almost a given downtown, bikers just cruising through red lights, usually without looking left or right. Almost got hit by one my own self, except I practice self-preservation down there--look left, look right (even if it's a one way)--look left, look right--start crossing, Spidey Sense a'tinglin', holy sh!t almost got hit by a--wait for it--a helmetless biker running the red.

I can just imagine what non-riders think when they see this all day, since it happens all day in all neighborhoods down there. I just shake my head and wonder how many of them get hit by cars that didn't see them. Guy in the Audi? No excusing his behavior as one must keep it together in this life and not lash out, but I can picture whence his antagonism.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Some of the craziness I witnessed today was the high count of helmetless riders blasting through red lights right in front of me. That's almost a given downtown, bikers just cruising through red lights, usually without looking left or right. Almost got hit by one my own self, except I practice self-preservation down there--look left, look right (even if it's a one way)--look left, look right--start crossing, Spidey Sense a'tinglin', holy sh!t almost got hit by a--wait for it--a helmetless biker running the red.

I can just imagine what non-riders think when they see this all day, since it happens all day in all neighborhoods down there. I just shake my head and wonder how many of them get hit by cars that didn't see them. Guy in the Audi? No excusing his behavior as one must keep it together in this life and not lash out, but I can picture whence his antagonism.
    Don't be an apologist for these drivers. I see motorists breaking more traffic laws than cyclists and I don't pull a potentially deadly weapon on them. As for the helmet debate: it's called consenting adults; last I checked there are no mandatory helmet laws for cyclists. There is no excuse for using a vehicle as a weapon towards anyone, no matter what their actions. A motorists wouldn't run down another motorist for running a red light.

Do I think too many cyclists disobey traffic laws? Yes. Do I understand why they do it? Yes. Is it the same reason motorists disobey traffic laws? Probably.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I think Tom P has the right idea. You should have taken them all to civil court (wearing a neck brace of course!)
    How can you take someone to civil court when there is no way to find out who they are? It all sounds simple, but it's a rather complicated process.

In one instance when I was hit, the guy stopped and was issued a citations for reckless driving, illegal left turn, and expired tags. His insurance only paid out 50% of the value to replace my bike. I tried to take him to civil court to get the rest. I was told, since it was the insurance that paid I would have to take them to court. The fees added up to nearly $500 that I would have to pay upfront. If I didn't win the case, that money is gone. Going against an insurance company with their pick of lawyers, I didn't have a chance. Like I said, in each case I wasn't injured. So, as I was told by a lawyer, the defense would use that to say the crash wasn't that bad and that I was being litigious. In a trial with a jury, who are more than likely not cyclists, I would look like the bad guy; as they would equate me with scofflaw cyclists. I have a long history with the DPD involving car-bike interactions, surely a competent lawyer would be able to find that information in a court discovery, and use that information to paint me as an biased individual.

BTW, in each of my hit-and-runs it took the DPD over 10 minutes (one time about 45 min.) to contact me to file a report. Hence their response, that the motorist is gone and they probably won't find them. Always I asked, "Can't you trace their plates and get an address?" To which each response was, No, or even if they did the driver can just say they were never there or weren't driving their vehicle. The loopholes for motorist involved in hit-and-runs are huge.

The civil court system is just as flawed as the criminal side. Neither is a win for anyone but the state and lawyers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^This

To me it's the same thing to strike someone on a bike with your car as it is to fire a gun in their direction. Yell at him, give him the bird, write a strongly worded letter to the interwebs on how cyclists suck, do whatever, but the second you use your vehicle as a deadly weapon all sympathy is out the door. **** that guy.

mtbr member
    Call one of the local news agencies. They love taking any gov agency to task.

mtbr member
    How can you take someone to civil court when there is no way to find out who they are? It all sounds simple, but it's a rather complicated process.

In one instance when I was hit, the guy stopped and was issued a citations for reckless driving, illegal left turn, and expired tags. His insurance only paid out 50% of the value to replace my bike. I tried to take him to civil court to get the rest. I was told, since it was the insurance that paid I would have to take them to court. The fees added up to nearly $500 that I would have to pay upfront. If I didn't win the case, that money is gone. Going against an insurance company with their pick of lawyers, I didn't have a chance. Like I said, in each case I wasn't injured. So, as I was told by a lawyer, the defense would use that to say the crash wasn't that bad and that I was being litigious. In a trial with a jury, who are more than likely not cyclists, I would look like the bad guy; as they would equate me with scofflaw cyclists. I have a long history with the DPD involving car-bike interactions, surely a competent lawyer would be able to find that information in a court discovery, and use that information to paint me as an biased individual.

BTW, in each of my hit-and-runs it took the DPD over 10 minutes (one time about 45 min.) to contact me to file a report. Hence their response, that the motorist is gone and they probably won't find them. Always I asked, "Can't you trace their plates and get an address?" To which each response was, No, or even if they did the driver can just say they were never there or weren't driving their vehicle. The loopholes for motorist involved in hit-and-runs are huge.

The civil court system is just as flawed as the criminal side. Neither is a win for anyone but the state and lawyers.
    Take them to small claims court. No lawyers, so they can't send in their big guns.

And since the value of your bike is likely under the max award there, you'll likely get your new bike.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't be an apologist for these drivers. I see motorists breaking more traffic laws than cyclists and I don't pull a potentially deadly weapon on them. As for the helmet debate: it's called consenting adults; last I checked there are no mandatory helmet laws for cyclists. There is no excuse for using a vehicle as a weapon towards anyone, no matter what their actions. A motorists wouldn't run down another motorist for running a red light.

Do I think too many cyclists disobey traffic laws? Yes. Do I understand why they do it? Yes. Is it the same reason motorists disobey traffic laws? Probably.
    Jeez, rogbie, even when we agree it sounds like you're lecturing me. Do you lecture like this all day, every day?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Take them to small claims court. No lawyers, so they can't send in their big guns.

And since the value of your bike is likely under the max award there, you'll likely get your new bike.
    The drivers plates were reported and at least two of us can eye witness him as his window was down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast