View Poll Results: What's your cycling way?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't even own a car. I get around on two wheels and my legs are my motor.

    2 3.85%
  • I commute, mostly, on the bike, but I do lug my other bike(s) with a car.

    29 55.77%
  • My commute is too long to pedal, but I love getting out on long rides from remote trailheads.

    19 36.54%
  • The only biking I do involves a chairlift and gravity.

    2 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131

    Cycling as a way of life?

    Not sure how many of you have had a chance to pick up the latest issue of the Rocky Mountain Flyer, however, in the issue there is a page dedicated to the advocates of cycling as a way of life (a good article is reprinted from another mag). The gist of it is that most of us, myself included, use the bike as a toy; at least, a lot of times. I do commute on my bike, on average, 4 days a week, 12-20 miles daily, depending on where I pedal for lunch but I'm also guilty of throwing my bike on a rack and driving it places, and I sure do love a good road trip with it. Not to mention the lust for the latest and greatest shiz to upgrade my ride. There's more to it than that, too. Some of us cherish the back country experience on our bikes, being able to pedal deep into the wild and cover massive amount of terrain, whereas some of us hit the lifts. And some of us do both. And there are those who chose to bike everywhere, some of us out of necessity, some out of passion.

    I figured we're a mixed bag here; out of curiosity comes this poll.

    _MK

  2. #2
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    I try to commute to work as much as I can (37 mi RT) but I'm guilty of driving out of town nearly every weekend to play. I didn't drive much before moving to Colorado. I'd love to be sans-vehicle again but there's just so much to see and do here that requires a car to access.

  3. #3
    Heathen
    Reputation: TooManyToyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    749
    Does walking down the stairs into the basement count as commuting? I'd ride the bike but there isn't much room at the bottom to make the turn.

  4. #4
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,815
    Maynard Hershon used to write an excellent column in Winning magazine several years ago. 15 or so years ago, he wrote a particular article called "How Green Thou Art" regarding cycling as a green activity. His point was that, although many cyclists say that their cycling is green or earth friendly, it really is only green if you're replacing an action where you would've driven instead. Cycling for recreational purposes isn't always exactly green. Here's a link to the article...
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  5. #5
    percocet pioneer.
    Reputation: $ally Hu$tle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    931
    I think commuting on your bike hardly makes it a "way of life"...

  6. #6
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,501
    This poll sucks.

    I don't have a job, so there's no commuting. But I like getting out on long remote rides.

  7. #7
    Bad Andy
    Reputation: andychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    Once the kids are gone, I would like to try it!
    With the kids, it would be too inconvenient. Doable, but inconvenient.

  8. #8
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    I think commuting on your bike hardly makes it a "way of life"...
    I disagree. If you don't have a car and you get around solely on a bike; it's a way of life.

  9. #9
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Maynard Hershon used to write an excellent column in Winning magazine several years ago. 15 or so years ago, he wrote a particular article called "How Green Thou Art" regarding cycling as a green activity. His point was that, although many cyclists say that their cycling is green or earth friendly, it really is only green if you're replacing an action where you would've driven instead. Cycling for recreational purposes isn't always exactly green. Here's a link to the article...
    Yeah, this is precisely the premise of the article printed in RMF. Thinking about it, we're all (well, mostly, not all) pretty environmentally unfriendly. It all starts with us consuming extra calories to replace the ones burnt pedaling. Commuting is probably the only benefit of cycling towards the environment on my part. Everything else I do with a bike makes it a toy.

    _MK

  10. #10
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Option B here. Commuting to work has had a very positive influence on my fitness and daily satisfaction with life.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

  11. #11
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,245
    Cycling is a big part of life. 2 years ago we moved closer to the places I like to ride, so I would not have to drive to the trails. I probably only drive to a ride 2-4 times a month.

    I work from home, so the need for any transportation is minimal many days. However, my work also involves transporting clients, and most refuse to ride on my handlebars, so I have to use my car some.

    Most of the necessities are within riding distance, so we get some groceries and run quite a few errands by bike.

    A lot of the bike lifestyle depends on where you live. We had only one car, which we rarely used, when we lived in Summit County, because we lived close to work and there was a great bus system. Now, in Fort Collins with 2 kids and their different activities, we find we need more than one car, and doubt we could get by without any.

  12. #12
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,501
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Yeah, this is precisely the premise of the article printed in RMF. Thinking about it, we're all (well, mostly, not all) pretty environmentally unfriendly.
    Nope. Not mostly - we ALL are. But we're a natural part of this world, so whatcha gonna do?

  13. #13
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Ugh, I hate the whole "green" movement thingy, what a stupid reason to ride your bike or commute. Saving money and getting fit is a far more honest reason to commute in my book.

    I ride my bike cause I have a life long passion for it, but before I worked out of my home I commuted to work for the fitness and the stress release, not to mention the saved fuel costs and not having to drive in traffic.

    If you honestly think that commuting and taking a minimal amount of cars off the roads is helping our environment, then you have been scammed by the "green" marketing machine.

  14. #14
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Option B here. Commuting to work has had a very positive influence on my fitness and daily satisfaction with life.
    Are you sure you don't do it to save the environment?, you could get a whole lot more recognition and pats on the back if you said you did it for that reason.

  15. #15
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Are you sure you don't do it to save the environment?, you could get a whole lot more recognition and pats on the back if you said you did it for that reason.
    Huh? No, I do it for personal reasons: my fitness, my feeling of accomplishment when I roll into work after spinning like Wyoming windmill, my wallet (I save about $4/day commuting which means more cookie money ), my frustration with driving in traffic, my frustration with clocking unnecessary miles on my trucks, and yes, my logic that says "why would I pay to burn gas when I can make my legs burn for next to nothing and get something out of it?"
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

  16. #16
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    My sarcasm was lost

    I couldn't agree with you more on your reasons to commute

  17. #17
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    If you honestly think that commuting and taking a minimal amount of cars off the roads is helping our environment, then you have been scammed by the "green" marketing machine.
    If this is directed at me, I'm not sure where I implied these being my reasons for commuting on a bike?

    _MK

  18. #18
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    If this is directed at me, I'm not sure where I implied these being my reasons for commuting on a bike?

    _MK
    No not at all, just saying in general terms I guess, the article Dave posted got me going on the whole green movement. If you ride your bike instead of driving, you are helping yourself far more than the environment, which I guess is the point of your thread

    I bet the amount of energy used to power our computers while we play on the internet is worse than driving your car to work tho, environmentally speaking.

  19. #19
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,815
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    No not at all, just saying in general terms I guess, the article Dave posted got me going on the whole green movement. If you ride your bike instead of driving, you are helping yourself far more than the environment, which I guess is the point of your thread
    I definitely agree with that. On the other hand, though, that's really only the case because so few folks commute via alternative forms of transportation. If more folks commuted without cars and this thing could snowball, there would be fewer cars on the road, etc. Just dreaming, I know, but the momentum has to start somewhere.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  20. #20
    beer is too easy to drink
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    118
    I have spent 4 years without a working car or DL once i was over 16 i rode everywhere those days. Now i only drive my car when i have to even with my son now in the trailer we ride more then drive.
    six pack cooler coming soon!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bike21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    410
    Way of life for sure, cycling has always guided me and been a constant. However I can't commute to work since riding to DIA with a suitcase each week isn't much of an option right now. Then I have to 'commute' all the way to Chicago. I burn waaaay to much petrol each week I do try to ride around town as much as possible when at home though.

    However, my wife does make up for my slacker ways by riding to work everyday

  22. #22
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,586
    My bike(s) are mainly toys. Having more than one bike pretty much makes every other bike left in the garage a toy, right?

    I was a huge commuter in college. In 4 years, I drove to class once. Since then, its varied a ton. When I worked and lived in Boulder, I'd ride to work nearly every day, and I was able to keep my Jeep parked for a week at a time quite a bit. Since then, I've been all over the place with commuting.

    Some months, zero riding to work. This summer, its several times a week. While some of our co-workers initially thought we were doing it to save gas money, in reality, it's a pure fitness and state of mind thing. The perfect example? Day care is right next to my wife's work, it shares the same parking lot. So when she rides, I drive to her work to drop off the kid in baby jail (there's no safe route there with the kiddie trailer), and then continue another couple miles down the road to my job.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  23. #23
    percocet pioneer.
    Reputation: $ally Hu$tle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    I disagree. If you don't have a car and you get around solely on a bike; it's a way of life.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying because you commute via bicycle it CANT be a way a life, but rather I'm tryin to say that there are plenty of other ways to having riding be your way of life..

    maybe it only makes sense in my head.

  24. #24
    caffeine dependent
    Reputation: bstiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    186
    Ditto on Debaser's words, although I carpool with another of the Redstone Regulars, but that's mostly to save money and mileage on the vehicle. Too many aspects of my life are wasteful to make any claim to being 'green' without being a liar.

  25. #25
    nice marmot.
    Reputation: ictoacoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I bet the amount of energy used to power our computers while we play on the internet is worse than driving your car to work tho, environmentally speaking.
    Estimates vary but most will tell you your average commute is responsible for 5 times more CO2 than your computer. One ref:

    http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/119/calculator

    Either way, I fully admit that I do whatever I can to decrease my impact on the environment. I recycle, turn off my computer monitor during off hours, etc. I have alot of reasons for commuting to work by bike but I'm not ashamed to say that reducing environmental impacts is one of them.

    I sense some animosity here towards the general movement by society to be more environmentally responsible. What, exactly, is your problem with that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •