Professional Lurker

Good job! Cycle Cyndicate Schedule Now Available

Props to DHBlur from Ridemonkey to post this info first. The race schedule is out, start planning your season now!!

I can't wait to get my @ss waxed by a bunch of XC weenies in the Super D....

http://www.cyclecyndicate.com/

2005 Race Dates Announced!
    The race dates and locations of all the Cycle Cyndicate events have been announced! Cycle Cyndicate is committed to bringing you the best racing experience ever for the 2005 season! New for this season will be Super-D races at several of our events, in addition to time trials, cross country, downhill, short track, and mountain cross. Our events are being held in the Mountain States Cup Regional Championship Series, the NORBA National Mountain Bike Series, and also as stand-alone events not part of a series. Keep checking back as more information becomes available!

Event Location Date Disciplines
    Tour of Canyonlands Moab, UT April 23 (TT)
    Chile Challenge Angel Fire, NM June 4-5 (XC, DH, SD, MX)
    Snowmass National Snowmass, CO July 23-24 (XC, STXC, DH, SD, MX)
    Full Tilt in Telluride Telluride, CO July 30-31 (XC, DH, SD)
    Blast the Mass Snowmass, CO August 20-21 (XC, DH, SD, MX)
    Keystone Climax Keystone, CO September 3-5 (XC, DH, SD, MX)
    Final Descent IV Angel Fire, NM October 1-2 (DH)
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

I can't ride 45!
    Hmm...Super-D. Never heard of it before your post but after a little Internet reading it sounds damn fun. Finally a trail bike class at the races!

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    Hmm...Super-D. Never heard of it before your post but after a little Internet reading it sounds damn fun. Finally a trail bike class at the races!
    That class has your name all over it.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    That class has your name all over it.
    And yours too -- MTBR COFR could field a damn competitve bunch of super-d riders. Hey do you plan on putting either of your kiddo's on the snowboard? My son has a complete setup he is about to outgrow. Size 6 Burton Junior Freestyle boots, Junior Freestype bindings, and a Neversummer 132 Swift board. I got it all on the cheap when the Snow Leopard in Evergreen went Internet sales only. I have new boots and bindings for him and a board will follow sometime this season. It is yours if one of your kids would use it. Could be a retro trade for a Manitou fork which has gotten alot of use -- thanks again.

locked - time out
    Super D - I hadn't heard of it before now either, this sounds like my dream come true, I have wondered for years why they haven't done this - something along the lines of that race in Downieville. Looks like I now have an even better reason to be putting in the miles on the roadbike this winter. Finally, a race that will test the all around rider, as opposed to roadies on CC bikes or Mongols on Motor(sic)cycles...

Any idea how long the courses are generally?

This is the discipline that you should start D3 in, Don.
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 12-16-2004 at 10:22 AM.

Card Carrying Member
    And yours too -- MTBR COFR could field a damn competitve bunch of super-d riders. Hey do you plan on putting either of your kiddo's on the snowboard? My son has a complete setup he is about to outgrow. Size 6 Burton Junior Freestyle boots, Junior Freestype bindings, and a Neversummer 132 Swift board. I got it all on the cheap when the Snow Leopard in Evergreen went Internet sales only. I have new boots and bindings for him and a board will follow sometime this season. It is yours if one of your kids would use it. Could be a retro trade for a Manitou fork which has gotten alot of use -- thanks again.
    We are looking at board stuff for him, but I've been maxxxed out until post holidays. He's such a natural on a skateboard, I feel guilty that he's not ripping the slopes up. My daughter wants skis, but all I know about skis is there are two of them needed. But yeah, we'd be down for working out something on that snowboard setup.

My board is very sad looking right now... it's a shelf.

Professional Lurker
    Any idea how long the courses are generally?
    This is from the norba national site (I assume Cycle Cyndicate will abide by the same rules):
    ______

http://www.norbanationals.com/guide/AmateurSuperD.htm

For complete Super D racing rules see the 2005 NORBA Rulebook at www.usacycling.org.

Super D is a one run downhill format. It is not necessarily a downhill race; it will consist of small climbs and is not meant to be very technical. Course lengths vary by venue but generally will last 10-20 minutes.

Starts may be seeded but a Le Mans start may be thrown in every now and then.

Racers are responsible for there own practice times. Courses will be designed to minimally conflict with the downhill courses.
    ____

Le Man's style!? Seeing a bunch of armour-sporting, leg-shaving, SPD-Shoe-wearing mo'fo's running toward there bikes at 'full speed' is a must see....heck, a must do!
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Tour of the Canyon Lands

So whats up with the Moab race, it has TT next to it. Last year the canceled the Downhill race, is the XC race done too?

jl
    climb
    What is a Moab MTB TT? I've done time trials before, but never on my mountain bike...
    Ride On!

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentK
    This is from the norba national site (I assume Cycle Cyndicate will abide by the same rules):
    ______

http://www.norbanationals.com/guide/AmateurSuperD.htm

For complete Super D racing rules see the 2005 NORBA Rulebook at www.usacycling.org.

Super D is a one run downhill format. It is not necessarily a downhill race; it will consist of small climbs and is not meant to be very technical. Course lengths vary by venue but generally will last 10-20 minutes.

Starts may be seeded but a Le Mans start may be thrown in every now and then.

Racers are responsible for there own practice times. Courses will be designed to minimally conflict with the downhill courses.
    ____

Le Man's style!? Seeing a bunch of armour-sporting, leg-shaving, SPD-Shoe-wearing mo'fo's running toward there bikes at 'full speed' is a must see....heck, a must do!
    The Championship course at Mammoth last year (ie September 2004) was about 3000 feet vert (I'm guessing). It took the top pros 27 minutes and laggards like myself 40 minutes to descend. There was a 5 minute climb, and a lot of traversing the mountain, a fair bit of loose stuff up high, but nothing too technical. I only had one wipeout on the whole run!

Most people didn't wear armor; I don't recall a single pro wearing armor. If I remember right the top speeds on a steepish, slightly loosish but smooth dirt road near the finish were 65+ mph!

I recommend it for everybody. True DHers might be dissappointed with the lack of true technical challenge, but most everybody else will show up at the finish line with a shite eating grin.

Again, I am familiar only with Mammoth; maybe some of the courses around here are more difficult.
    Last edited by rapwithtom; 12-16-2004 at 02:55 PM.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    What is a Moab MTB TT? I've done time trials before, but never on my mountain bike...
    At the Fall Classic stage race in Breckenridge I did a Hill Climb/ Time Trial. They sent off a rider every 30 Seconds. But I am not sure what is up with the Tour of the Canyon Lands.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    DW, my son is going to start racing again this summer so these events will be on his schedule. I'd never heard of Super D either, but that'd be perfect for him since he floats up the climbs. Anybody know if they'll have a hardtail class or is it open?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom

If I remember right the top speeds on a steepish, slightly loosish but smooth dirt road were 65+ mph!
    That would be super fast....I've done 40mph on my mountain bike (with slicks) on a road descent and that was a bit sketchy.

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Anybody know if they'll have a hardtail class or is it open?
    There are no regulations in the NORBA Rulebook regarding bike suspension. So it looks like you can ride whatever you want -- no hardtail class.

bock

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff n Bonk
    So whats up with the Moab race, it has TT next to it. Last year the canceled the Downhill race, is the XC race done too?
    Looks like it will be the same race, but we'll start at even intervals and race against the clock. My guess is it has everything to do with the tragic accident that occurred last year.

bock

...master of none
    And yours too -- MTBR COFR could field a damn competitve bunch of super-d riders.
    I have to admit I'm psyched to give it a try, myself. It will be interesting to see which riders excel at super-d. At the expert and higher levels, (I've heard ) all the XC racers have got awesome bike handling skills and can descend really, really fast. And we can take it for granted that they're incredibly fit. Then again, at that level the downhill racers have got to be fit as well, right? And they've got skills that would blow away an XC weenie like myself, lol. Can't wait to try it!

bock

p.s. Jasonb, I hear you're in for the great CO Trail Epic next year...cool.

Cynical Bystander
    I'm excited for Angelfire again. Hopefully I'll hit most of the races this summer. Can't wait to do DH, attempt to do SD and maybe mx.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't know if I will be able to go into winter mode this year. tThe new schedule is out and it fits my schedule for the summer. Already thinking about next summer's riding on my 1st dh bike. Gosh Angel Fire was tough on my current single crown, triple ring bike.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    p.s. Jasonb, I hear you're in for the great CO Trail Epic next year...cool.
    Yeah the COT adventure sounds like a blast. I am having a rough fall/winter with a MCL tear and now a badly bruised butt (waaaahhh I sound like a baby -- but I can barely sit!). Come on summer!