Thread: Curt Gowdy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Curt Gowdy

Hey new to CO area, anyone been to curt gowdy, is it worth the 2 hour drive for a day trip.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Yup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Yup!
    Agreed, do it.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Absolutely !! The trails were purpose built for a MTB "playground", skills and stunts abound. It's not all that huge an area, you could easily hit all of the best stuff in a day.

mtbr member
    Gowdy is awesome. You can hit all the trails in a long day, but if you're limited on time I would head to the north end of the park first - the map calls it the "Mountain Trail System." If you park at the Aspen Grove trailhead you can piece together a bunch of different loops. The last time I rode the south end or "Reservoir Trails" I wasn't that impressed but I've heard that the trails have improved since.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Meh.

Thread Terrorist
    Middle Kingdom, El Alto are a few to hit for the fun /tech.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Definitely worth it! I haven't done much exploring of the reservoir trails, but the mountain trails definitely offer a lot. The map makes the area look a lot larger than it really is, though.

mtbr member
    Anybody know where the big play area is? The one with the nice stepdowns and gaps? Is that El Alto?
    Yield to downhill

DRT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    the bigger step down and airs are off the Middle Kingdom trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just saw some video of Middle Kingdom at Curt Gowdy. I think I am gonna try to camp there this weekend.

I have 2 questions.
    What trails are similar to Middle Kingdom as far as trails with features? (El Alto?)
    Can anyone suggest a good place to camp?

Basically what would you ride and where is the best/closest place to stay near the trails?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Smoke may be a huge issue this weekend. There is a big wildfire just west of Laramie, and the smoke blowing east is very heavy. Just something to consider in case the fire keeps growing (which it probably will)... it's been raining huge pieces of ash all day here in Laramie. Happy Jack is filled, and since Curt Gowdy is just a little more more down the road, I'm sure the smoke is there as well.

There is many campsites within the park, with the trails going right past them. The entire place isn't huge, so really no matter where the campsite is within the park, you're close to all the trails.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Smoke may be a huge issue this weekend. There is a big wildfire just west of Laramie, and the smoke blowing east is very heavy. Just something to consider in case the fire keeps growing (which it probably will)... it's been raining huge pieces of ash all day here in Laramie...
    My sister lives in Laramie. She told me about the ash starting yesterday.

I know that area out where the fire started. Lake Owen/Rob Roy Reservoir area west of and above Albany. Way back in the mid-80s I operated earth-moving equipment up on the Rob Roy dam to expand the reservoir capacity. I remember way back then there was lots of blow-down, lodgepole pine, and it was dry. A friend and I hiked into the Savage Run Wilderness for an overnight once. I remember scrambling over and under huge blowdowns for like two hours down one slope in there...

Could be bad. Good news is that it's really remote. Probably a candidate for "let it burn". Bad news (one example) is it could keep the Laramie Plain and the Laramie Range smokey for a while.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post

I know that area out where the fire started. Lake Owen/Rob Roy Reservoir area west of and above Albany. Way back in the mid-80s I operated earth-moving equipment up on the Rob Roy dam to expand the reservoir capacity. I remember way back then there was lots of blow-down, lodgepole pine, and it was dry. A friend and I hiked into the Savage Run Wilderness for an overnight once. I remember scrambling over and under huge blowdowns for like two hours down one slope in there...

Could be bad. Good news is that it's really remote. Probably a candidate for "let it burn". Bad news (one example) is it could keep the Laramie Plain and the Laramie Range smokey for a while.
    TomP, last time I was at Curt Gowdy I was amazed at the amount of beetle kill there. It was pretty bad in some areas in the mountain trail system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

It's not really remote... several homes have already been lost and many many people are under evacuation/pre-evac notices. Doesn't help its summer so many people are up in their summer homes/cabins as well as permanent residents. It is finally getting some news coverage, which is good (woo woo 9News!) heh... Last I saw they had a crew of 55 up there, but it's tough because a lot of people are at fires out of state, so they aren't available to help out locally.

TONS of beetle kill is what's fueling it. It's rather hard to find a green tree in this part of WY sometimes. Which is why the fire is good in that aspect... clear the dead stuff out! I think they should contain it near the homes to the east and west of Sheep Mountain, but let it take its course on Sheep Mountain itself, and get rid of those trees. But I hope its over quickly, the smoke is killing my lungs!

Laramie just canceled their July 4th fireworks display, which is never a good sign.
    Last edited by sooshee; 07-02-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    It's not really remote... several homes have already been lost and many many people are under evacuation/pre-evac notices. Doesn't help its summer so many people are up in their summer homes/cabins as well as permanent residents...

TONS of beetle kill is what's fueling it. It's rather hard to find a green tree in this part of WY sometimes. Which is why the fire is good in that aspect... clear the dead stuff out! I think they should contain it near the homes to the east and west of Sheep Mountain, but let it take its course on Sheep Mountain itself, and get rid of those trees...
    My sister said it was "by Lake Owen" which had me thinking it was there and would work its way west toward Woods Landing. I guess there are lots of homes/cabins there. But from what you're saying it's more like Jelm/Sheep mountains south of Albany.

I used to drive that Albany Road back when I was working up there, seemed like it was just plain remote and got more so as you headed west toward Savage Run. But maybe that's not where it is. Guess I should look at inciweb.

Also, I have this 30-year-old picture in my mind of how remote the Albany Road was. If it's anything like anywhere else in the west, the last 30 years has seen some development in the forest.

Inciweb here I come...

Team Velveeta™
    My sister said it was "by Lake Owen" which had me thinking it was there and would work its way west toward Woods Landing...
    Ah inciweb. The facebook of the summer of 2012...

I was mixing up Woods Landing with Mountain Home. It did start right near Lake Owen, and it is Woods Landing that's threatened, but not because that's west of the fire but rather because it's east (and south) of the fire. Winds out of the west, pushing fire to the east... dunno why I would have thought anything would push the fire to the west.

Inciweb says that it's been established on Sheep Mountain and it's burning dry dead timber in there. So maybe some good will come of it. They will need to work to keep it from jumping highway 230 and getting to Jelm. Does UW still operate the observatory up there?

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    My sister said it was "by Lake Owen" which had me thinking it was there and would work its way west toward Woods Landing. I guess there are lots of homes/cabins there. But from what you're saying it's more like Jelm/Sheep mountains south of Albany.
    The fire made a hard reverse turn late this afternoon and is burning back toward the west. Fox Park is being evacuated right now.

The Medicine Bow "Rails to Trails" path runs right through there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep, UW still has their observatory as far as I know!

From what I'm hearing from friends on Facebook, Woodslanding has been wiped out. I heard it burned down to hwy 230, too. One of my best friend's husband is up there right now as a volunteer firefighter, so maybe she'll have more information to pass along to me as she hears more from him. She was going to head up there to bring water and sleeping bags to some of the guys up there.

I wanted to ride the rails to trails sometime this summer :/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just heard they saved the Wood's Landing bar and dance hall. That would be a huge loss for me, always stop there on the way home from fishing for a cold one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^ That's good to hear, because from what I was hearing everything was gone. My 10 year HS reunion was suppose to be held there in a week, and now they're scrambling to find somewhere else to have it

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I read it from a news report I found on the web. I sure hope it's accurate.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I rode Gowdy this afternoon. Called the ranger first and he said it was a bit hazy, and there was a bit of smell of smoke, but definitely not too smoky. Said it changed with the wind, but he would ride. So I went up and rode for 2 hours, it was fine and blue sky when I rode, not hazy or smoky at all. I would say it would change with the wind though.

trails are awesome as always, if a bit dry.

kaj
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Front Range, Colorado
    Wow this is the first I have heard of this fire. Everyone is all elated about the full containment of the High Park fire. Which was just several miles south of this fire. I sure hope they get a hold of this one before it gets out of control. A very sad year for the west for sure.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    I read it from a news report I found on the web. I sure hope it's accurate.
    It is right! People have posted photos, and nothing was lost from Woods Landing. Which is nice to hear since people were saying everything burned!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I rode Gowdy this afternoon. Called the ranger first and he said it was a bit hazy, and there was a bit of smell of smoke, but definitely not too smoky. Said it changed with the wind, but he would ride. So I went up and rode for 2 hours, it was fine and blue sky when I rode, not hazy or smoky at all. I would say it would change with the wind though.

trails are awesome as always, if a bit dry.

kaj
    Winds were good here today, seems like all the smoke blew down to Fort Collins. I drove down there to CO, and was shocked at all the smoke. Laramie was smoky, but nothing bad. It's actually pretty nice right now, skies are clear and I can have the house windows wide open. Definitely all depends on the winds! This morning I even thought that I should go hop on my bike while I had the chance!

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Wow this is the first I have heard of this fire. Everyone is all elated about the full containment of the High Park fire. Which was just several miles south of this fire. I sure hope they get a hold of this one before it gets out of control. A very sad year for the west for sure.
    Last I heard this fire had grown to 10,000 acres and they keep increasing the evacuation areas. Everything within 4miles of Albany are now under orders to leave. It's definitely spreading Most fires in WY never get attention because we're not really urban, or populated... I saw 9News posting about this fire today on Facebook, but because the smoke was in CO and people were wondering where it was coming from.