mtbr member
    Jun 2006

CT Heading East out of Buffalo Creek

Can anyone comment on the ride out of Buffalo Creek along the Colorado Trail eastbound? Is is bike accessible and for how long? Any snowpack concerns this time of year? I'm trying to make two days of riding out of Buffalo Creek without too much double up. Thanks boss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rode that section (#2) of the CT several years ago, from the Platte River to Hwy 126 (and back). It's a big climb from the river, after that all singletrack to 126 (as I remember it). It should be snow free.

mtbr member
    It's segment 2 of the CT. There's some forest, but overall it's mostly exposed because of the Hayman fire. It's sorta like Shinglemill with a little bit of Sandywash thrown in there.
    http://www.coloradotrail.org/segments.html#2
    Here's where it begins at the Platte:
    Attached Images Attached Images

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Big climb from the river to Buff Creek. Down and back if you park at the CT trailhead at Buff Creek is a few hours (depending on your pace of course). Typical Front Range CT riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    sorta like Shinglemill with a little bit of Sandywash thrown in there
    Sounds like my cup of tea. If we are feeling saucy, is there any reason we couldn't just keep on trucking on the CT towards Waterton for an epic out and back from Buff Creek?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I prefer to start at Waterton, ride out to Buff Ck. and return. Always a great ride.

Minor correction: the burn on Section 2 was caused by the 1996 Buffalo Creek fire and not the Hayman. The Hayman fire never made it that far north.

Have a great ride.

FRMBP.org - Paying it Forward

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If you do it out and back you'll definitely enjoy it more if you start at Waterton - it's a net elevation loss in that direction. If you do it from Buff Creek you'll end the big ride with a LOT of climbing.