Thread: CSU students

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

CSU students

Hey how much freetime do you guys have for biking? on average? Any sol vista on the weekends?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

pdh
    mtbr member
    Back in the day- way back in the day I carried a full class load and had time to ride
    15-20 hours a week. Raced CC and DH. The Colorado Off-Road Point Series was something
    like ten stops. It was a good time to live in FC. I miss riding Lory State Park.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

what nice teeth you have
    Sol vista was only open for about a month during the fall semester. It won't open up again till after school lets out for the summer.
    Whether you will have time to go on the weekends will depend on your class load and work schedule.
    Will you be sticking around during the summers?
    Major?

slow
    CSU alumni here. Engineering major freshman year and business major after that. Always had plenty of time (1-2 hours per day 4-5 days a week) for riding close trails (Horsetooth, Lory, Poudre Canyon, etc), even with work and full class load.

Never rode Sol Vista because
    a) it is a good 2.5 - 3 hours away
    b) not really open during the school year
    c) wasn't open for biking when I was in school
    d) wasn't called Sol Vista yet.

I didn't make a ton of mountain trips when I was in school because of work on the weekends, but made up for it by moving to Keystone for a year between my freshman and sophomore years.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I think it is what you make it? Cycling was pretty important to me while going through school. I took a reduced class load.....something 13 hours.....so I was done by around 3 PM each day. This gave plenty of time to ride during the week....and weekend. I was a graphic design major, so there was a bit of outside-of-class work. Funny thing is, I went to school for 5 years....got excellent marks....and am currently not even working in the field. I am pretty thankful for that

You need to decided what is more important to you: Riding? Or your potential education?

FYI....I am currently living in Fort Collins, and do some training rides with CSU students. I am not sure of their schedules, but they seem to find ways to get out for 3-7 hour rides.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho biker 90
    Hey how much freetime do you guys have for biking?

As others have mentioned it's how you plan your classes/schedule. For instance, I use to plan classes around CHiPs re-runs (no joke) and be done by 4 so I could ride.

Now I work 50+ hours a week and still have time to ride. Since the company I work for is based out of California, I do the majority of my riding early in the morning. When it is warmer, I can do the Coyote Ridge - Rimrock Trail - Indian Summer Loop - then Blue Sky up to the Soderberg lot - and back home in under 2 hours and be working by 8:30-9am.

Luckily there are some nice trails within a couple miles of town if you are on the west side. You can feel pretty deep in the hills when you are at the top of the Indian Sumer loop...but be home in 60 minutes or less depending where you live in town.

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho biker 90
    Hey how much freetime do you guys have for biking? on average? Any sol vista on the weekends?
    I went to CU for undergrad and law school, but I'm from Fort Fun, so I'll pipe in.

If you're efficient with your time, you can ride plenty when still in school. It's not that hard to schedule in a few hours in the middle of the day to ride if you plan out time to study, go to class, and work (if necessary) around that. You can even have a pretty strict training regime if you want.

However, there's only so many hours in the day and week, so you'll have to make certain sacrifices as in all areas of life. If you want to go on a four hour ride in the middle of the day, you might need to get up early to get your reading done, which might mean that you can't party as late or at all. Having a significant other can also eat up a lot of time (which is probably worth it). You get the idea.

The important thing, as other posters have notd, is to remember that you're in school (and paying for it) for a reason. It's as easy as it is stupid to sacrifice your education for other activities that seem more fun or imporatant at the moment.

That said, I rode a ton as undergrad (which leaves you a lot more time, depending on major) and even rode on average 15 hours or so a week in law school.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson