Total Goober
    Sep 2009

Crutches to lend?

I broke my ankle on Rainmaker Saturday, and will be on crutches for a couple months. My place is 2 stories, and I'm trying to find a pair of crutches to leave upstairs. Does anyone have a pair they could lend for a while? They would have to adjust to fit someone 6'1".

I would return them sooner if you need them back for anything. I live in South Aurora, and I'm hoping to not drive too far to get them. Thanks!

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you can't find any, most of the grocery store pharmacies will lend you some for just a refundable deposit.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Really? I'll ask at King Soopers later. Thanks for the tip (TWSS).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I borrowed a pair a couple years ago at King Soopers. I think they still do it. Are you supposed to weight bear yet? If you are non weight bear you should be using the crutches to go up and down the stairs to avoid hopping. Just put both crutches in the hand opposite the handrail and go up with your good foot first when climbing and down with the injured foot first when descending. It's just the therapist in me,ha. Good luck with the healing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was on crutches for two months years ago. I ditched the "under the armpit" style (the ones that 99% of crutch users use) and used a pair my buddy owned (that he used after his own knee surgery). They're the kind that go around your forearms, ya know, like the ones you see permanently disabled people using.

They give a ton more stability than the armpit variety. You control what they do with your arms, not your armpits. It's a good arm workout. You get used to them in about ten minutes. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. A friend in my gym (who flies internationally every week) got a pair, was effusive in his thanks, and used one later as a cane as his recovery progressed. Good luck.

Drive Medical*Lightweight Walking Forearm Crutches-Adult | Walgreens
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Bummer! What kind of break? Will you need surgery? I broke my ankle 13 years ago at Keystone (spiral fracture of tibia and broke ankle part of fibula) and they screwed me back together very well. Heal quick!

BTW, the King Soopers route is a good one, but XCGuy's suggestion of the forearm crutches is even better if you're able to land a set somewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Bummer! What kind of break? Will you need surgery? I broke my ankle 13 years ago at Keystone (spiral fracture of tibia and broke ankle part of fibula) and they screwed me back together very well. Heal quick!

BTW, the King Soopers route is a good one, but XCGuy's suggestion of the forearm crutches is even better if you're able to land a set somewhere.
    The assumption, I'm guessing, is most people's arms are weak and they'd find the forearm crutches too taxing on their arms. Me, OTOH, have lifted weights all my life and had my surgery while being a carpenter. I loved the workout. Guy at my gym was a lifter as well. Your arms have to be strong enough to make these work. The linky I gave BigSteve is to Walgreens.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the advice on the forearm crutches. I just ordered some on Amazon. I'll have to dig into my pile of bike stickers so I can trick 'em out!

I have a clean break of the fibula (lateral malleolus). Non-weight bearing for at least 6 weeks. My good ankle is definitely taking a beating from hopping around, but I've just been crab walking up the stairs. I also have a back injury (not related) that I'm trying to not exacerbate, so I'm taking it easy on the stairs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Out of curiosity, which part of rainmaker? The upper part has the biggest jumps in the park. Sorry to hear that man. :::Healing vibes:::

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    A few jumps below 5 points. I just overshot it a bit, and got squirrely on the landing.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve
    Andrew
    I'm really confused...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Steve, since you are non weight bear for a while, I can lend some advice for the stairs. Use the crutches in the arm opposite the handrail. Crutches on the step you are standing on, put weight on the crutch and the handrail as you raise your good foot up to the next step, then bring your bad leg up to the next step. Repeat this as you go up and no need to crawl up. Reverse this as you go down. Place crutch on the next step down, lower your bad leg down to that step as you put weight on the crutch and the handrail and follow with your good leg. Repeat down the stairs. You need to adjust the crutches to fit your arm. With the crutch by your side the armpit pad should be a couple inches below your armpit. After you adjust that then with the crutch by your side, adjust the handrest at the top of your wrist. Properly adjusted straight crutches are just as good as forearm crutches in my opinion. Be careful and good healing. Let me know if I can help, I've been doing this stuff for about 25 years now.