mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Crossmax freehub bushing

Greetings-
    had to buy yet another Mavic Crossmax freehub body again recently. Annoying. But today I finally decided to research and I see ads on ebay for just the bushing. Anybody used these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Qty-2-Mavic-Cros...item3a564df577

They also sell oversize for worn hubs bodies. I'd be curious which (stock or oversize) is best to get. Any BTDT appreciated.

Sorry if this has been covered before - I did a couple searches and came up empty...

thx
    Last edited by yetiquattro; 05-19-2010 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member

I've got em

I ordered one of those I've had it in since October, so far so good. Contact the seller, he can send you a kit with one regular size and one for a worn hub. If you only get one, get the oversized because you can sand it down. I have to service my hub about every three months to keep them in good working order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the Hub Doctor ones (I'm sure they're pretty much exactly the same as the one you posted) but it's been working just fine. If your hubs is less than a year or two, I'd say you're good to get the regular sized bushing (age of mine). The regular sized bushing was actually pretty tight on mine, but once lubed up...it was perfect.

The set I bought came with a free seal and hub bearing...good addition, but both are definitely very low quality. Only use them if you absolutely have to. Otherwise...buy the real stuff.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hahahaha. Glad to see I'm not the only one with chronic Crossmax hub issues.

Thread Terrorist
    Good to know there are fixes out there for a chronic problem. So far, my Hadleys have been rock solid.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member

Mavic

After I bought numerous freehubs and rebuilds...I saved money and got rid of mine

crashes in parkinglot
    My freehub has been OK as far as I know. However a broken spoke has me bummed right now.
    Down is the new up.

Shattering Glass
    Mavic. French for garbage. Buying myself some Good ole American I9's

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The freehub is obviously designed for racing...it was not designed to last for seasons on end. The bushing works fine, takes lots of load without deforming, saves weight...just wears out fairly quickly...just like most racing equipment in any industry. The fact that these bushing replacements are out for a good price and working just fine, i'm happy with the hubs.

They may not be the best designed race hubs, or the lightest to some people's standards...but it's obviously what they were going for. Don't expect more from them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Been using the bushing to bearing conversion kit by Hub Doctor. I'm happy with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HUBDOCTOR-PR...item4cef1942ab

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I LOVE the idea of the bearing conversion! Any drawbacks to it? Any issues at all? Aside from a few grams ( who cares?!?!) - why wouldn't everybody do this??

thx-

mtbr member
    Pardon the hijack....Does anyone have any maintenance how-to's for servicing these hubs? On the newer (2009 or later) hubs?

I've got more than one set of 2009 Mavic wheelsets. I think the wheels and hubs are pretty sweet and would love to know how to keep them tip-top. You folks seem to know your way around a mavic...
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went looking for the bearing replacement when I took apart my hub and saw wear through the anodize on the hub nose. A fresh standard size nyon bushing no longer was working for me, too much wear.

Bearing replacement is easy, mounts to an area that the old bushing did not, so the fit is tight. Casset no longer wabbles and shifting has improved.

Sealing is not that great. The new seal fits against the ID of the hub body. My older wheel has cut outs for spokes in this area, so the seal is running over all those open spots, and I assume demolishing itself. I've been in contact with the bearing manufacturer since Febuary, as he says there's a new style of seal in the works that should fix the issue. It seams like this seal is always 2 weeks away from being ready, so who knows when it will actualy be here.

So far I'm happy with the bearing kit. Getting more life out of this wheel set for around $50 is a good deal. If you have a newer mavic wheel, you may not have the sealing issue I'm having and it will work great.

mtbr member

Just got this kit

Quote Originally Posted by CDS123
    I went looking for the bearing replacement when I took apart my hub and saw wear through the anodize on the hub nose. A fresh standard size nyon bushing no longer was working for me, too much wear.

Bearing replacement is easy, mounts to an area that the old bushing did not, so the fit is tight. Casset no longer wabbles and shifting has improved.

Sealing is not that great. The new seal fits against the ID of the hub body. My older wheel has cut outs for spokes in this area, so the seal is running over all those open spots, and I assume demolishing itself. I've been in contact with the bearing manufacturer since Febuary, as he says there's a new style of seal in the works that should fix the issue. It seams like this seal is always 2 weeks away from being ready, so who knows when it will actualy be here.

So far I'm happy with the bearing kit. Getting more life out of this wheel set for around $50 is a good deal. If you have a newer mavic wheel, you may not have the sealing issue I'm having and it will work great.

So I just got the Hub doctor kit, mine came with two seals so they must be available. The hub runs smoother but is louder. Is yours louder? Also the install was a PITA even with all the proper tools. If this doesn't hold up I give up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mojobeer
    So I just got the Hub doctor kit, mine came with two seals so they must be available. The hub runs smoother but is louder. Is yours louder? Also the install was a PITA even with all the proper tools. If this doesn't hold up I give up.

Just installed mine too, man was that a total headache. The sanding down part was unnerving. In fact I'm still in the install process. The cassette is having trouble "free spinning" hence making the chain bunch up during coasting. Anybody else experience this? Do I need to sand the nose more?

mtbr member

No not more sanding...

Quote Originally Posted by jamiep
    Just installed mine too, man was that a total headache. The sanding down part was unnerving. In fact I'm still in the install process. The cassette is having trouble "free spinning" hence making the chain bunch up during coasting. Anybody else experience this? Do I need to sand the nose more?
    You don't need to sand more. I had that problem too amongst others with the install. What you need to do is use both the old washer and the provided washer on the end of the nose this will bring the free hub body out and allow it to spin freely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry to bump this up again but how are these bearing replacements holding up for people?

I serviced my Crossmax ST freehub last night for the first time (probably about 10 months, 600 miles of riding) and reassembled, the casette has a little bit of play and I think I should fix the problem before it becomes bigger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mine is so far so good.

I've got about 50 hrs on the bearing and was able to get a face seal to keep the oil in. It's holding up great, shiffing is good and the free hub spinns just fine. It took a while for the seal to break in, but one trip down Monarch and it free spins great.

I did have a tough time taking the free hub off after instalation and some use. Seems like there was a small bur created by the bearing on the free hub nose, or some material got between the bearing and the nose to cause the bearing to get stuck. A little prying from a flat head crew driver (way low force) moved it right along.

I'm happy with my bearing conversion. Would recomend it to anyone with a worn free hub nose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think it's a great conversion. If I were to go out and buy a new set of Crossmax wheels today - I'd buy a bearing conversion kit at the same time - assuming they still use the bushing from the factory. While I understand the idea of a bushing being lighter for a set of race wheels it's just stupid for those of us that want high quality, lightwieght and DURABLE parts. I have quite a few rides on my bearing conversion now. At first it was pretty tight (freewheeling it would turn the cranks) - but a thicker washer did the trick. I think the freehub body is crammed down on the seals with the stock washer.

mtbr member
    My hub was measuring just between the standard and OS bushing conversion from Hub Doctor, so I ordered both and installed the OS with just some very light sanding. Clean and mineral oil and it was a little sticky at first, but after a few rides, it was spinning freely. I will likely do the bearing conversion next time. My wheels are 4 years old and with regular maintenance, they still make me happy.