Thread: Crosier Climb

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Crosier Climb

So I did this ride for the second time and started from what I think yall refer to as the second trailhead (the first being the one that holds like 5 cars, second is much larger, right near the house, etc.

I've read a few other threads about starting in Glen Haven and was curious to know how that climb is compared to the climb from lot #2. Basically, there were a lot of interruptions (read: walking) up from that lot and I'm wondering if the Glen Haven climb is more doable. Twas hella fun coming back down but I'm now more interested in what some of you gents call "the big loop"

Also, when you climb from Glen Haven do you ride past the Crosier summit trail, and then where does that end up dumping you out? The first lot?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by scout
    So I did this ride for the second time and started from what I think yall refer to as the second trailhead (the first being the one that holds like 5 cars, second is much larger, right near the house, etc.

I've read a few other threads about starting in Glen Haven and was curious to know how that climb is compared to the climb from lot #2. Basically, there were a lot of interruptions (read: walking) up from that lot and I'm wondering if the Glen Haven climb is more doable. Twas hella fun coming back down but I'm now more interested in what some of you gents call "the big loop"

Also, when you climb from Glen Haven do you ride past the Crosier summit trail, and then where does that end up dumping you out? The first lot?
    Yeah, the climb out of Glen Haven is all rideable. Longer but not as steep as the climb you did. Yes, ride past the summit trail and keep going, that will drop you at out the first trailhead.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Larry. Is the trailhead in Glen Haven easy to find? I've found "behind the stables" for directions, is this pretty obvious?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by scout
    Thanks Larry. Is the trailhead in Glen Haven easy to find? I've found "behind the stables" for directions, is this pretty obvious?
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to see. Turn left onto the dirt road just past the stables, there's also a small sign there on the road. Go up about 100 yards and look for the trail on your right side.

Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Stiff yet compliant
    I assume you started at this trailhead?

I did that one as well. 'Twas fun, but from what I gather not the optimal fun-ness available from this trail.

The "big loop" would be parking at the Easternmost trailhead near Drake, #1.
    Riding the paved road (or shuttling to avoid the road time) into Glen Haven.
    Getting on the trail by the stables.
    Climbing up and descending back to the first trailhead.
    I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I believe that is the same one, I was acutally checking out your pics from last week and it looked quite familiar. Saw the sign for Coyote Rock and if you passed that going up, thats the same trail. Your revised route is correct according to Larry, I don't know about you but that first mile or so out of the trailhead was pretty steep, some rideable but throw the tech in here and there and I was stoppin quite a bit. I'm quite curious to ride up from Glen Haven now, I liked the trail, area and lack of crowds so its good to know there is a more desireable route.

The same way back down to this "Rainbow" trailhead made me want to look into an FS bike...

mtbr member

And then there is the slacker version...

You can actually enter the Crosier Mountain trail also from Estes Park. Not sure what the trail head is called. Roughly it is all the way up the road to 'Slice of Heaven'. Down a little, first intersection to the left. Straight up the dirtroad instead following the street in the sharp right turn... Through a gate to the right, past an old youth hostel and into the single track.

Apparently all legal. Just make sure you close the gates. You'll intersect with the trail from Glen Haven about halfway up. That is essentially after the cruel and technical climb.

I've done this route once with a guide. Sorry I cannot explain it better.

Rolling
    So I understand this better, is the trail by the stables where you park at the corner of the road, climb a dirt road to a ranch, open the "Rube Goldberg" gate, bomb down a rough jeep road, then begin the 45 minute grind?

mtbr member
    Yes, that description matches my memories of the ride.

Card Carrying Member
    I think the 'up from the ranch' way BLOWS. I've taken it a couple of times in a group and once because I thought it would be easier on the SS. You have an extra bit of climbing for that ghey DH right past the gate. Not worth it IMO.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    The "big loop" would be parking at the Easternmost trailhead near Drake, #1.
    Riding the paved road (or shuttling to avoid the road time) into Glen Haven.
    Getting on the trail by the stables.
    Climbing up and descending back to the first trailhead.
    I think.
    I like this version. The road ride is a nice warm up and the big downhill is a fun challenge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So do you prefer the route I originally outlined over heading up to the ranch (leaving from Lot#2)?
    Have a preference you are willing to share?
    Or just feel the ride sucks in general?
    Just lookin for feedback cause I was going to try the "ranch" route or trailhead #4 this weekend if I find the time. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Other Thompson Rides?

Do you guys have any others up the Thompson you are willing to share? I live just a few miles from the mouth of the canyon so its real close.

Or perhaps your favorite Larimer Co ride? I haven't tried anything up the Poudre yet but thats pretty close too...

Already ridden DBB, Blue Sky, etc to death.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I think the 'up from the ranch' way BLOWS.
    Hasn't both you and ETR experienced the "Blows" on that ride?

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Hasn't both you and ETR experienced the "Blows" on that ride?
    hehe, yip... Mine went better than ETRs though. I had eaten something weird either the night before or that morning and I was totally fine after, uh, I expelled it. ETRs luck wasn't so good, he had to drive my car home he felt so bad. I think you have pics of ETR.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I think you have pics of ETR.

Card Carrying Member
    I almost choked I laughed so hard!

Open the canned peaches!
    Scout or anyone else,
    I would be interested in a Crosier "big loop" ride toward the end of the week if anyone would like to get together. Prefer Th or Fri, but could make the weekend work. I've ridden Crosier a few times and know the general bottom trailhead to stable trailhead route, but haven't done the hostel/from estes thing before. Not sure I want to judging by the looks of that Boot & Rally pic...
    Hit me up if your interested.
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Saturday and Monday are my potential ride dates but w the holiday weekend and all its pretty tentative. I do want to try the hostel route as well but wouldn't be a good guide as I've only started from Lot #2. I'll post towards the end of the week if I can get away, sounds like the long loop might be a good one to do with company.