Thread: Crosier.

Stiff yet compliant

Crosier.

I tried this trail for the first time on Thursday. I don't know if I did the optimal route but it was fun nonetheless.
    In another thread someone mentioned a "big loop" with some pavement riding.
    Would this be: parking at the Eastern most trailhead near Drake- road to Glen Haven- Trail back to car?

I had perfect weather and not another person spotted on the trail.

I started from the gravel pit.

When I get out of my car this is the first thing I see.
    Hmmm, do you think there is predator activity in the area?

Excuse me, could you hold onto my bike for a minute?

[SIZE="1"]UH OH. Will this get moved to the recycle bin now?[/SIZE]

Scratchy.
    All the Aspens in the area looked like this.

Tasty morsel.

Any trail that may have lead to Coyote rock has long since grown over.

So there you are, slowly working your way up a steep ascent. Everything around you is calm and quiet.
    Suddenly 4 pheasant burst into the air not 5 feet from where you are.
    It's enougth to raise your heart rate just a little bit.

The view from atop Crosier mountain.

Estes Park is just barely visible down there.

??????

Oh, so geeks come up here too.
    I'm the first to find, YIPEE!

After I passed the burn area and started to head back downhill I noticed the trail had some issues.
    In places grass was growing on the tread from lack of traffic, and in other places it has a deep wheel catching rut from runoff.

DenverDH'er
    Wow, I've never found a "time capsul" on any of my rides!! Was there something written in the envelope?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    In another thread someone mentioned a "big loop" with some pavement riding.
    Would this be: parking at the Eastern most trailhead near Drake- road to Glen Haven- Trail back to car?
    Yup.
    Park at the eastern most trailhead, which is where is where the descent ultimately leads you. Ride 6 miles up the road past Glen Haven. Head up the trail on the left by the horse stable.

I've climbed from the gravel pit but much prefer the above route.
    Life....the original terminal illness

glittergirl

...and there's more

Across the valley, there's another complex of trails to add onto the Croiser Mtn. trails. There's a swinging downhill called Mill Creek.

I was just up there for two weeks (Estes Park) and rode from town by way of Dry Gulch Road. Trails line the county road all the the way to the highway above Glenhaven. There's a slew of trails you can access on the 'backside of Croiser" as well.

Once off the beaten path... there is a world out there of rockin' trails. Keep exploring.

The bike shop in Estes offers some hand-drawn maps you can get to help guide your route. Also, the Latitude 40 "Colorado Front Range" topo map shows some of the trails across the valley.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    nice pics. that time capsule has been up there a long time. I remember looking in that thing way back in 96. Back then though it was just a name log, looks like people have added interesting toys to the collection.

Stiff yet compliant
    The capsule is a Geocache. www.geocaching.com
    Someone hides a container out in the woods and records the coordinates on a web site. Then others try to find it using a GPS unit.
    The person that places the cache will sometimes put in a special prize for the first to find.
    The envelope contained coupons for free movie tickets. I put everything back as I found it.

Squeaky wheel,
    If you are going to do the big loop again sometime let me know. I'd like to give it a try.

Fixation,
    thanks for the info. It's kind of a long drive up there, but sounds like some further exploring is required.

Card Carrying Member
    great trail. I like point to point from GH-down on that one. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be enough 'down' to make up for the climb up the road AND up the trail. It's not that I don;t like to climb, I just don't like doing it on the road.

Oh, and I think I have a pic of DaveM hiking up this section with his bike on his back in like a foot of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider

Good stuff, thanks.