Ka-coo-ka-cha!

Crested Butte Fat Tire week....

.....worth it or lame?

New to CO and would like some opinions....
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I think it died in the mid-90's and ever since its "resurrection" I've not heard great things about it...

As always, YMMV.

Colorado
    It seems like it would be too crowded and not very fun. I was there by accident about 5 years ago, and I think it was Fat Tire week. There were tons of people camping in tents all in the town park in the middle of town.

Personally, that doesn't seem too cool. I would rather camp in the woods, build a fire and not be next to a bunch of people.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    It seems like it would be too crowded and not very fun. I was there by accident about 5 years ago, and I think it was Fat Tire week. There were tons of people camping in tents all in the town park in the middle of town.

Personally, that doesn't seem too cool. I would rather camp in the woods, build a fire and not be next to a bunch of people.
    Festivals are probably not for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I hear you about camping out in the woods, but sometimes it is nice to be near town. A different scene for sure, and a place like CB can have some big rides (and great camping), and starting from town means you end your ride in town, instead of having to climb back up to your campsite.

However, CB might have the best caming in all of Colorado. Certainly the best riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm also interested in heading down, it's right near my birthday and I was hoping to get a mixed group of bikers together and jam down there.

Any input from someone experienced with the festival would be great. Particularly interested in the following questions.

1. Are the trails total mayhem with too many riders on rented bikes thinking they are descending gods trying their best to run me and my wife over at every switch back?
    2. Is there enough out of town camping in CB for all the festival goers?
    3. Should I just go shuttle Monarch that weekend and call it good?
    4. If your stand to finically benefit from the festival, maybe you could at least declare that in you response.

The shuttle options at the festival are what's got me hooked. Divide the crew up into those who want a long day in the saddle and lots of climbing, and those who just want to get out a little and hit the shuttle. Serious riders are happy, beginner riders are happy, everyone gets to have fun, and meet back up at the end of the day to grill and chill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Really, no one has any experience with this festival?

Does anyone even go to this thing?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CDS123
    Really, no one has any experience with this festival?

Does anyone even go to this thing?
    I haven't been in a long time. There was a day when it was probably the biggest festival in the country but that is past. My impression is on a lot smaller scale than it used to be but is still fun if that's what you make it. Trails will probably have more people on then than what you'd typically expect, but not mayhem. Camping spots will probably be in higher demand than usual, maybe to the point of demand exceeding supply for the stuff closer to town.

Why not contact the organizers at CB? I don't know the website address but in this age of lightening fast search engines, it's probably only a couple clicks away.

Colorado
    Talking about CB, what's the earliest someone should make a 3+ hour drive to visit the place?

June 15th?

I'm guessing the 401, and all the higher up stuff won't be ready until late june, but maybe not... i don't know, you tell me.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    Talking about CB, what's the earliest someone should make a 3+ hour drive to visit the place?

June 15th?

I'm guessing the 401, and all the higher up stuff won't be ready until late june, but maybe not... i don't know, you tell me.
    I'd keep an eye on this link. After it has melted out... I'd wait at least a week. And yes - that link DOES indicate there is still over 5 FEET of snow on the ground.

A lot can happen in a few weeks of late spring, though.

mtbr member
    The climb from Schofield Pass to the top of 401 was muddy with some melting snowdrifts on July 4 weekend last year. Once on top, it was perfect all the way down. I'm not sure how their snow totals compared between last year and this year, tho'.

CB has some amazing riding, definitely worth a trip. But I wouldn't go for some "festival". I doubt it would add much to the experience.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have never been there for the festival so I can't help you on that. But CB has excellent trails, once it melts out. 401 usually opens up the beginning of July but will vary a few weeks either way depending on snow. Overall, it wasn't a big snow year but CB got some good snowfall in the last few weeks so it may be the 4th before the high trails are open.

Try this link in a few weeks. They are usually pretty good on giving trail conditions and when trails open up.

http://www.cbmba.org/page.cfm?pageid=10267

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN
    The climb from Schofield Pass to the top of 401 was muddy with some melting snowdrifts on July 4 weekend last year. Once on top, it was perfect all the way down. I'm not sure how their snow totals compared between last year and this year, tho'.
    Ask... and ye shall receive!

http://www.cpachecojr.com/cgi-bin/wo...---&year5=----

mtbr member
    Kind of a random question......isn't the fat tire bike week the same time the MSC Wildflower Rush goes on?

As for the question about being too crowded....I doubt it. Soooo many miles of singletrack surrounded by soooooo many flowers and lush green things. Who cares?

Bonus Edit: A really bad picture of the Dike Trail, CB, CO.

Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I haven't been to Crested Butte Fat Tire Festival, but I did go to the Fruita Fat Tire Fest and it was a lot of fun. The trails weren't overly crowded (but the weather wasn't the greatest that weekend, so I think it scared a lot of people off, but it ended up being great) and people were very friendly.

The whole point of these festivals are to get out ride, and be very friendly with a bunch of people. Don't go to festivals thinking that there will be nobody there. That is the whole point of festivals.

One plus was that a lot of bike companies were out there and we got to demo real expensive bikes that would normally cost $80-$100/day at a bike shop for free! Some manufacturers include:

Yeti
    Specialized
    Rocky Mtn Bikes
    Santa Cruz
    Ellsworth
    Trek
    Giant

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you can, I'd wait as long as possible because if you're going to Crested Butte from Golden, you could stop off on the way and do the Monarch Crest trail when it's dry. That's definitely going to take longer than CB to dry out...It's must do ride
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Festivals (some of them) are great for about an hour at most. After that, give me solitude and quiet. Crested Butte is still pretty nice to visit and ride in for a couple of days. I have looked at the route of that festival though, and it isn't worth my time.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Festivals (some of them) are great for about an hour at most. After that, give me solitude and quiet. Crested Butte is still pretty nice to visit and ride in for a couple of days. I have looked at the route of that festival though, and it isn't worth my time.
    You can ride whatever you want at festivals. Just because they have recommended routes, doesn't mean you HAVE to them...

mtbr member
    fwiw: Crested butte is awesome. i hate to use that word but it best desctribes it. you can ride as long as you want on some of the best MTB trails anywhere. the camping is great right outside of town. I have to admit that a festival wouldnt be a big attraction for me. i would prefer the quiet, solitude to the festival attitude. I was there about 7 or 8 years ago for some riding and there happened to be another festival of some kind going on. i cant remember the name right off. there were a bunch of drunk, naked people dancing around a huge bonfire in the middle of town. If you are into that kind of thing, then go for it. the festival didnt bring any more riders than normally would have been there. in fact, the whole 3 days i was there with my friends, we only ran into a hand full of other riders. CB is a large place. it's difficult for it to get crowded.