Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Crest ride Sun?

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  bells 
#1 ·
Any "inflexibles" want to do the Crest on Sun?

I know a few said they were interested, dhpimp is in. Kurt, Joe or Chris?

We need to reserve shuttle spots still but I need to know how many, right now we have 3 for sure, if we have more than 4 we will need to take 2 cars too. I will try for the 10a shuttle which means we need to be on the road at 7a, any takers??

#3 · (Edited)
Of course, just trying to find out who wants to go from the Springs for driving purposes, the more the merrier!

I need to make sure the 10a shuttle still has room though, 8a is too early and 12 is too late(maybe). I will call later so anyone interested post here so I can make sure there's room.

#7 · (Edited)
ibmkidIII said:
What shuttle company and a # if you have it please. Looking like a buddy and me will be going?
Cool, here's the website with info, I called and reserved 5-7 spots though so your set, 10a Sun. It's $16 now, ouch, I remember a fews years back it was $10, oh well, still worth it!

http://www.monarchcrest.com/

If plans change or something then post here, I can call and cancel some of the spots, see ya there-Rick

Oh yeah, be there a little early, 9:30 or so

#10 ·
cosgti said:
I've never even heard of this ride. Looking at the website, I assume this is an XC friendly ride?
Normally I hear "shuttle" and just assume it's a DH ride.
i'ts a long "point to point" ride. more elevation loss overall, but with some kick ass climbs in it, from what i hear.

i haven't done this one yet, but am looking forward to hitting it at least once this year.

#11 ·
scrublover said:
anyone want to do this on a weekday sometime? i've got the 16th - 23rd coming up off......
<DELURK>

So, would "anyone" include a somewhat slow, modestly skilled noob? Next week is my last chance to get in any big mid-week rides before my wife's work schedule interferes, and the Crest is at the very top of the list for rides I really want to do before the summer is over.

Anyway, if you're serious, and willing to put up with a fairly slow (though enthusiastic) riding partner, let me know.

#12 ·
bells said:
<delurk>

So, would "anyone" include a somewhat slow, modestly skilled noob? Next week is my last chance to get in any big mid-week rides before my wife's work schedule interferes, and the Crest is at the very top of the list for rides I really want to do before the summer is over.

Anyway, if you're serious, and willing to put up with a fairly slow (though enthusiastic) riding partner, let me know.
sure. i've never done the ride, so i'm not going to be super fast. any particular day work better than others?

i'm coming from longmont; roughly 3 hours drive for me. once we figure out what day, we can get the shuttle set up/reserved.
</delurk>

#13 ·
scrublover said:
sure. i've never done the ride, so i'm not going to be super fast. any particular day work better than others?

i'm coming from longmont; roughly 3 hours drive for me. once we figure out what day, we can get the shuttle set up/reserved.
I'll chime in here....

I'm itching to do the Crest, and might be able to get free next week with a bit of notice. I could buy some gas for you Scrub if I could hitch a ride that direction. I'm not a fast climber by any stretch, but I'd love to check out this ride if the timing works out.

#16 ·
rroeder said:
Any "inflexibles" want to do the Crest on Sun?

I know a few said they were interested, dhpimp is in. Kurt, Joe or Chris?

We need to reserve shuttle spots still but I need to know how many, right now we have 3 for sure, if we have more than 4 we will need to take 2 cars too. I will try for the 10a shuttle which means we need to be on the road at 7a, any takers??
I am sooooo in!! :D ... Looking forward to my first 'high country' ride!

#17 ·
thursday or friday of next week, or monday, tuesday, or wednesday of the next week. all work for me. i won't have any time limits; we'll just be getting home late, unless you or bells want to do it as a two dayer, and camp somewhere.

once we get a day decided, i'll call down and get the shuttle set up.

Jdub said:
I'll chime in here....

I'm itching to do the Crest, and might be able to get free next week with a bit of notice. I could buy some gas for you Scrub if I could hitch a ride that direction. I'm not a fast climber by any stretch, but I'd love to check out this ride if the timing works out.

#18 ·
I'm only available through the end of next week, so I'd prefer Thursday or Friday. ;)

I'd be open to camping the night before (one of the Mt. Princeton campgrounds, maybe?), and then we'd have the option of taking the 8am shutttle. But I don't mind a long day, either, as long as we can make it down in time for the 10am shuttle.

scrublover said:
thursday or friday of next week, or monday, tuesday, or wednesday of the next week. all work for me. i won't have any time limits; we'll just be getting home late, unless you or bells want to do it as a two dayer, and camp somewhere.

once we get a day decided, i'll call down and get the shuttle set up.

#19 ·
I might be in for another round of the Crest next week.

Have you guys done Kenosha into Breck? This ride is just as good as the Crest IMO, just more of a hassle to deal with the shuttle. I didn't get to do it last year and was hoping to do this ride before the snow starts flying. I was gonna see who would be interested in maybe camping in Summit county the night before and we could leave one car there and drive another over to Kenosha pass, then after the ride drive back to Kenosha and p/u the other car and go home from there. Just an idea, I imagine the Crest is on the schedule for the gathering too, right Kirk?

#20 ·
Change of plans...I am in. Meeting Rick Sunday am near downtown COS with the Sequoia. Seating for 5 with room in the back and a bike rack that holds 4 bikes...

More details later today as things materialize...

#21 ·
bells said:
I'm only available through the end of next week, so I'd prefer Thursday or Friday. ;)

I'd be open to camping the night before (one of the Mt. Princeton campgrounds, maybe?), and then we'd have the option of taking the 8am shutttle. But I don't mind a long day, either, as long as we can make it down in time for the 10am shuttle.
Thursday would work better for me, but I won't be able to get away to camp Wednesday night. I'm the late entry here, so if you two would rather camp and/or go a different day feel free to do so and I'll make it down there some other time.

My question would be, if we hit the 10am shuttle would that be early enough to avoid the storms?

#22 ·
for you and bells: the 10am thursday slot would work for me. i can get up freakin' early, and so long as no one minds driving/getting home late, i'm fine with that. afternoon storms? meh, we'll be heading downhill....... just be sure to bring the shell and so on. :) if that works, let me know, and we'll get the shuttle set. i've got room for the three of us in my car/roof rack.

hopefully i can get the big bike up and running by then...... still need a shock collar. just picked up a romic collar from dave at redstone cyclery, still have to see if it'll fit.

anyone out there got a spare shock collar to fit a manitous swinger coil?

Jdub said:
Thursday would work better for me, but I won't be able to get away to camp Wednesday night. I'm the late entry here, so if you two would rather camp and/or go a different day feel free to do so and I'll make it down there some other time.

My question would be, if we hit the 10am shuttle would that be early enough to avoid the storms?

#23 ·
I think we have a plan. Leave Boulder County at the crack of ridiculous on Thursday morning, catch the 10am shuttle, and if the lightning starts to get too close we go faster and try not to whine too much.

scrub, sounds like your car/rack combo is the best (I've got room for three in mine, too, but my third tray is really meant for a tandem, so regular bikes sit up high and wave around in the breeze quite a bit). If you want to finalize plans you can email me at bells AT tirony dot com.

scrublover said:
for you and bells: the 10am thursday slot would work for me. i can get up freakin' early, and so long as no one minds driving/getting home late, i'm fine with that. afternoon storms? meh, we'll be heading downhill....... just be sure to bring the shell and so on. :) if that works, let me know, and we'll get the shuttle set. i've got room for the three of us in my car/roof rack.

#24 ·
bells said:
I think we have a plan. Leave Boulder County at the crack of ridiculous on Thursday morning, catch the 10am shuttle, and if the lightning starts to get too close we go faster and try not to whine too much.

scrub, sounds like your car/rack combo is the best (I've got room for three in mine, too, but my third tray is really meant for a tandem, so regular bikes sit up high and wave around in the breeze quite a bit). If you want to finalize plans you can email me at bells AT tirony dot com.
i'll try to leave longmont about 5-530, and meet up. how about the basemar center parking lot about 530am or so? gives us plenty of time to load up, and drive down with a little leeway timewise.

#25 ·
scrublover said:
i'll try to leave longmont about 5-530, and meet up. how about the basemar center parking lot about 530am or so? gives us plenty of time to load up, and drive down with a little leeway timewise.
Sounds good. I leave for work at 6:15 everyday, so it won't be too much of a stretch for me.

Scrub - what part of town do you live in? I am over on the NE side (9th & Pace), but if you don't mind I'll just drive your direction and leave from your place. If that doesn't work, then I can just drive myself to Boulder and meet up from there.

#26 ·
Don't miss the Rainbow trail ST at the end, it adds 8 miles of nice ST compared to bombing down the fireroad back to the hwy. It veers off to the right after you bottom out onto Silver creek, look for the sign. FYI, it's easier and shorter though to ride down the fireroad to the hwy if your feeling spent or have a mech. or something.

Can't wait to hit it tomm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.