Thread: Crazy Man

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Crazy Man

Anyone else run into the crazy hiker at high plains today. I passed going up, exchanged pleasentries and went on my way. On the way back down, he was blocking the trail w/his arms flailing, calling me any number of names and telling me how we mountain bikers had ruined the trails in Boulder. He said some rider had passed him without warning him from behind, and in fact I had the same encounter with that rider, but Jesus I though he was going to take a swing. I informed him that I wasn't responsible for what the other rider had done, but I wasn't going to take a bunch of crap from him. Anyway, by the time I finally got back on the bike he was moving away, screaming about "you bastard mtn bikers". This guy was a jerk, but he probably would have been okay if the biker hadn't been so discourteous. Mind your manners people.

what nice teeth you have
    Some people are just nutz.

Not much you can do about it.

Rolling
    No, sounds weird. I missed it. From the tone of what you are saying, anyone could set him off.

There were also some "other" rider issues today. I was riding up prairie view and some riders, far in front of me, were not chaining the gates behind them.

People, if the gate isn't propped open, you need to shut it and if it has a loop on the chain (it doesn't matter if you see cattle or not), it needs to go over the post. I was about 100 yards behind a pair of riders who left every gate open...I know it sucks but that is the way it works. Doing me a favor leaving the gate open doesn't work since I still have to stop and lash it. All it does is create a potential for others to leave it as they found it--OPEN--and then the cattle get out and wreck havok.

Leaving the gate open knowing someone is behind you is only valid if you have a communication with the rider acknowledging it..

If the gate is to be open, it's chained OPEN by the open space people.

That said, it was a great day to be out and lots of people took advantage.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-08-2009 at 06:14 PM.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Anyone else run into the crazy hiker at high plains today. I passed going up, exchanged pleasentries and went on my way. On the way back down, he was blocking the trail w/his arms flailing, calling me any number of names and telling me how we mountain bikers had ruined the trails in Boulder. He said some rider had passed him without warning him from behind, and in fact I had the same encounter with that rider, but Jesus I though he was going to take a swing. I informed him that I wasn't responsible for what the other rider had done, but I wasn't going to take a bunch of crap from him. Anyway, by the time I finally got back on the bike he was moving away, screaming about "you bastard mtn bikers". This guy was a jerk, but he probably would have been okay if the biker hadn't been so discourteous. Mind your manners people.
    I heard about it from some other riders up there. I stopped for a hiker, may have been the same guy, on High Plains, and he gushed about how nice it was for me to stop for him because he'd been buzzed by mtb's a bunch. It's a bummer, everyone should be able to get along out there, we're enjoying the outdoors together.

My biggest pet peeve, now that Boulder has been producing real singletrack (not the 6 foot wide variety ala Hall) is that riders constantly leave the trail rather than slow or stop to allow uphill traffic/hikers/horses. It took years to get singletrack made and now we go and ruin it?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Bad Andy
    Good job on posting all of this, people.
    I do not belong to the group of people that say "you are preaching to the choir here - us MTBR folks know and follow all the rules".
    I would hope for the most part, that was true, but, unfortunately, it is not completely true, and the more we hear about bad trail manners and are reminded the way it should be, hopefully it catches on.
    And, there are many lurkers that may not know the rules and may learn something by the rants/discussions/threads, whatever they may be.

Thread Terrorist
    What did the guy look like?

Living at a trailhead has some interesting issues.

We've had run-ins with a hiker (45+, pail, boring looking, has a hiking stick usually). wears kaki hiker/fishin vest sometimes.

This guy is 'marked' by Jeffco Open space officers. bi-polar during the same hike.

Our first encounter was me working in the drive-way when he came down the trail complaining about an off-leashed dog. how it attacked him and he stumbled and sprained an ankle. Absolutely furious about it. He left and I saw the other hiker / unleashed dog (it was a neighbor of mine). We chatted about the incident. The dog was unleashed, but when my nieghbor saw the guy, he leashed up the dog. The hiker saw the unleashed dog being leashed and started to throw himself all over the trail, yelling at my neighbor about the dog...

I thought "There are 2 sides to every story".

Later in the year:

The same hiker started up the trail. My dog (Black Lab) is in his dog run. We live adjacent to the trail-head / trail / open space of Mt. Galbraith. The dog barks at the hiker, and then the guy starts to poke his hiking stick at my dog. My daughter saw it, mentions it to my wife, and my wife exchanges some serious words.

I'm driving home from work and as I'm pulling in my driveway, the hiker confronts me ( I thought he needed help, or had questions). He barks out the command "Control your dog!". Baffled, I get out of the car (Still not quite in the driveway), trying to figure out how my dog got out of his dog run. I ask the hiker, "Where is my dog? I"m so sorry, I'll get him back in his dog run."... I start to figure out the dog is in his dog run. I ask the hiker how the dog was harming him... The Hiker responds with "He barks and is close to open space. The dog startled me and I almost fell over. He almost gave me a heart attack. You need to do something about this dog! I'm calling Jeffco Open Space!".

I responded "Lets do it" At this time, I'm now pissed. I am well within my rights and nothing bad has happened.

My wife sees that we're having a heated and yelling match, she comes out and starts swearing at the guy.

I told the guy that he shouldn't use this trail head if he doesn't like my dog. Why does he come here? He just goes off on nothing. Neighbors start to come out to see what is going on. I call his bluff, and call the golden police dept and the Jeffco open space. He gets in his car and tries to take off. I stand in front of it with other neighbors. He say's he's going to kill the dog and makes a few threats against my family. He eventually gets on his phone and calls the cops too (to turn in my dog for distress). He drives around the corner to continue his conversation with 911 (I called dispatch).

The cops show up, along with Jeffco and Animal control. They take my statement, my wifes, his, and my neighbors. His story never changed. Animal control checks everything out and verifies we're well within code and rights as home owners.

Golden police asks about me pressing charges. I don't care other than I don't want him around the neighbor at all, ever. They put a restraining order against him after hearing that Jeffco Open Space has also had issues with him in the past. Animal control presses charges against him based on the beating of the dog (Based on my daughters statement).

According to Jeffco, he's also had issues in several other locations. He's written messages on the side walks of some Open space properties bagging on mtb bikerss, and unleashed dog owners.

The guy is a freak and probably can't set foot in many Jeffco Properties (including Mt Glabraith). They'll send the dude to jail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Daaang! That was quite a story. So, the plot thickens... wouldnt that be interesting if it was the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    What did the guy look like?

Living at a trailhead has some interesting issues.

We've had run-ins with a hiker (45+, pail, boring looking, has a hiking stick usually). wears kaki hiker/fishin vest sometimes.

This guy is 'marked' by Jeffco Open space officers. bi-polar during the same hike.

Our first encounter was me working in the drive-way when he came down the trail complaining about an off-leashed dog. how it attacked him and he stumbled and sprained an ankle. Absolutely furious about it. He left and I saw the other hiker / unleashed dog (it was a neighbor of mine). We chatted about the incident. The dog was unleashed, but when my nieghbor saw the guy, he leashed up the dog. The hiker saw the unleashed dog being leashed and started to throw himself all over the trail, yelling at my neighbor about the dog...

I thought "There are 2 sides to every story".

Later in the year:

The same hiker started up the trail. My dog (Black Lab) is in his dog run. We live adjacent to the trail-head / trail / open space of Mt. Galbraith. The dog barks at the hiker, and then the guy starts to poke his hiking stick at my dog. My daughter saw it, mentions it to my wife, and my wife exchanges some serious words.

I'm driving home from work and as I'm pulling in my driveway, the hiker confronts me ( I thought he needed help, or had questions). He barks out the command "Control your dog!". Baffled, I get out of the car (Still not quite in the driveway), trying to figure out how my dog got out of his dog run. I ask the hiker, "Where is my dog? I"m so sorry, I'll get him back in his dog run."... I start to figure out the dog is in his dog run. I ask the hiker how the dog was harming him... The Hiker responds with "He barks and is close to open space. The dog startled me and I almost fell over. He almost gave me a heart attack. You need to do something about this dog! I'm calling Jeffco Open Space!".

I responded "Lets do it" At this time, I'm now pissed. I am well within my rights and nothing bad has happened.

My wife sees that we're having a heated and yelling match, she comes out and starts swearing at the guy.

I told the guy that he shouldn't use this trail head if he doesn't like my dog. Why does he come here? He just goes off on nothing. Neighbors start to come out to see what is going on. I call his bluff, and call the golden police dept and the Jeffco open space. He gets in his car and tries to take off. I stand in front of it with other neighbors. He say's he's going to kill the dog and makes a few threats against my family. He eventually gets on his phone and calls the cops too (to turn in my dog for distress). He drives around the corner to continue his conversation with 911 (I called dispatch).

The cops show up, along with Jeffco and Animal control. They take my statement, my wifes, his, and my neighbors. His story never changed. Animal control checks everything out and verifies we're well within code and rights as home owners.

Golden police asks about me pressing charges. I don't care other than I don't want him around the neighbor at all, ever. They put a restraining order against him after hearing that Jeffco Open Space has also had issues with him in the past. Animal control presses charges against him based on the beating of the dog (Based on my daughters statement).

According to Jeffco, he's also had issues in several other locations. He's written messages on the side walks of some Open space properties bagging on mtb bikerss, and unleashed dog owners.

The guy is a freak and probably can't set foot in many Jeffco Properties (including Mt Glabraith). They'll send the dude to jail.

friend of Apex
    I got buzzed by another handlebar while leaning against a tree the other day.
    Sh!t happens, just get yourself farther from the TH.

I think my weekend shift differential is worth more than it says on paper.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Bad Andy
    This isn't the same guy always hiking up Lookout Mtn Road, waving cars, etc on - is it?
    This guy seems friendly, but if bi-polar, that can change quickly.
    Never seen him while on a bicycle, so don't know how he reacts to bikes.

Stand back
    Wow, one strike against living at a trailhead...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Thread Terrorist
    Yeah, Aside from the big huck next door, I'm not much of a fan of it anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The guy that threw the fit on high plains was about 5'9", 180 with a dark complexion, no hiking stick or I would have been going for a rock to defend myself. Definitely some psych issues as he would explode about what aholes mtn bikers were and then saying he was sorry to be ragging on me and then going right back into his tirades. He was perfectly nice on the way up, but he was sure pissed when I came back down.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    There are crazy people out on the trails.

C/S has one and this guy is in his late 50's or 60's with a longish grey beard and he wears tye-dyed shirts with jeans and Birkenstock sandals. I usually see him in RR near Intemann or 16 and he's always b*****n about the amount of bikes on the trails. I think he's just a disgruntled ex hippie that's coming down from a bad trip, who knows. Given the proximity to Manitou Springs...

Gives me an idea the next time I see him on the trails.

Hippie- Why are there so many of you bikers on the trails ruining my hikes?

Me- Doooood. This isn't a bike, it's a two-wheeled blunt wagon maaaannn.

We'll see how it goes from there.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    The guy that threw the fit on high plains was about 5'9", 180 with a dark complexion, no hiking stick or I would have been going for a rock to defend myself. Definitely some psych issues as he would explode about what aholes mtn bikers were and then saying he was sorry to be ragging on me and then going right back into his tirades. He was perfectly nice on the way up, but he was sure pissed when I came back down.
    If a dark jacket too, might be the same guy.

Again, we owe it to ourselves to BE NICE to everyone.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's the guy.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Probably the same guy that told me I was eroding Mt. Evans by walking off the "path" at the summit. His car was in the parking lot next to mine.

mtbr member
    I was out hiking with my friend, his wife, and baby on some hike/bike trail off 93 near 120th on the west side of 93.

Anyways, it was a quick steep downhill. We saw the biker coming so we moved off the trail. I guess not fast enough. This dude didn't slow at all. The only issue is that he passed within about 1 foot of us doing 20+ .

Way to make us all look good dude in the red jersy...your a true badass

Thread Terrorist
    My XC to Shuttlers ratio of those that don't yeild was 12:0 before yesterday. There was a group of Shuttlers (they stopped for me), but didn't to others on this forum... Ugh... I suppose my ratio is now up to 12:4.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Wankel7
    ...your a true badass
    Dude, that's better than my "your retarded" title. May I use it?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006

I think I've run into this guy at Apex a few times. I've ridden up behind him and started saying "hello, good morning, hi, hey, hows it going, etc" for minutes on end with no reply whatsoever. Eventually I just say, "hey, I am going to pass right up here." and just make it happen. Still no reply, but I wedge on by, then give a bunch of smarmy "have a fantastic day my friend" type stuff.

mtbr member
    My girl took the dogs hiking on Green Mountain a few weeks back and was SICKEND at how many douch bags ride these trails and fly up on you from behind unannouced!!! She is an avid rider with me. When we first started to ride together (she was new to the sport) she didn't understand why I pull over for EVERY pedestrian even if they have stoped and wave me on, I tell them no you have the right away, also yeild to all horses and uphill trafic. Had some people wearing Topec jerseys on Buffalo Creek 2 weekends ago blow by us on the down hill of Morrison Trail AFTER we stoped and yeiled to everyone of them minutes prior on the other side. I was pissed so the first one that did stop (after atleast 3 of them didn't stop). I had a few kind words for him to so inform his compodras that was not a double wide trail. And they needed to not be so concerned about there hart rate that they were widening the trail and FU%^ING yield to uphill traffic or these trails will end up CLOSED PEOPLE like California! And I am a pro DH racer how ironic !
    My bike takes me places school never could!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Dude, that's better than my "your retarded" title. May I use it?
    Of course lol

mtbr member
    Every time I ride Boulder I run into that.... something about that town, I pull over, give hikers right of way and get my butt chewed ... I'll ride everywhere else in CO