Slopestyle Rider

Crankworx Colorado

Dates for Crankworx Colorado have been announced... I'll post more info once I hear it.

July 31st. - August 3rd.

http://www.crankworxcolorado.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thats awesome Joel. Too bad the date conflicts with Full Tilt Telluride.

Living the High Life
    Yeah, that sucks its the same weekend as Telluride.

mtbr member
    Looks like a good time to me. I'm there

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well I was looking for a way out of making the long trip to Telluride, even though I stay some extra days and always have a good time there.

Slopestyle Rider
    So I have some more info...

For those of you who are going to be racing DH at the Mountain States Cup on Saturday... the DH at Crankworx Colorado will be run the day before on Friday, so you can still hit both events if you so choose. The DH will be broken into age groups this year for the amateurs, unlike the open class like last year. Slopestyle finals will be held on Saturday evening (so if it rains they can still run them the next day). Also, this year, on Sunday they will be running dual slalom and the Big Air (best trick). I believe that Thursday will be the Super D, and Friday will be slopestyle qualifiers.

I will post up the actual schedule on Monday once I get my hands on a hard copy...

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    So I have some more info...

For those of you who are going to be racing DH at the Mountain States Cup on Saturday... the DH at Crankworx Colorado will be run the day before on Friday, so you can still hit both events if you so choose.
    Unfortunately Telluride is a very long drive from Winter Park, that sucks I really wanted to check out Crankworx this year.

Slopestyle Rider
    Well maybe next year MSC will check the schedules before they book a date. The Crankworx date has been set for a very long time. Oh well.

Living the High Life
    I hope MSC does check their schedule. That's cool the DH is on Friday, if it was a closer race, like Sol Vista, it would rock to have both on the same weekend in the same area.

mtbr member
    Well maybe next year MSC will check the schedules before they book a date. The Crankworx date has been set for a very long time. Oh well.
    Uhhh, yeah.

The CC folks set their date without inquiring as to what ours actually was. We would have hoped to NOT schedule on top of each other. The debate of whose date was set first is pointless, but for the record, ours was set as of late July in 2007 immediately following last year's Full Tilt event. I'm guessing that was well in advance of the CC date being set.

Y'know, we don't carry around an overly developed sense of entitlement, but I have to point out that it would have been good manners on their part to ring up the longstanding regional series just to bounce a few dates off us. Again, for the record, it was us who called them (not the other way around) and when we informed them of the date conflict were told in no uncertain terms that they were 100% inflexible as far as moving their date. When we realized that they had absolutely no willingness to work with other promoters to create a regional schedule with no conflicts we were bummed (that's just not neighborly and is a bit disrespectful of the series that's really laid the groundwork over the past decade for the gravity community,) we attempted to switch our date. Much to our regret, our resort partner was unable to accommodate us. At least we tried and I'm not sure that the CC folks can truthfully make the same claim.

"Next year maybe the MSC will check the schedules before they book a date." I'll come right out and say it - I don't think that you have your facts straight. This ain't our first rodeo, brother. We know a bit about scheduling and we know even a bit more about keeping peace in the valley.The simple fact is this: if the Crankworx guys hold the MSC in such low regard that they won't bother to make a simple phone call then I'm not sure why we should continue to bend over backwards to accommodate them. It seems like we're the only ones interested in having a conflict-free schedule.

Am I bummed? Yeah. It's friggin' lame and ignorant and in our view, an enormous oversight bordering on outright disrespect on their part. If you're planning a gravity event in the Rockies why would you not call the local guys who just happen to have a longstanding gravity series that's bigger than the NMBS? The only reason I can see is that they didn't call because they didn't feel obligated to. Fair enough. Now we know the rules as they see them.

One more thing - our DH's are ALWAYS on Sunday, not Saturday. Bib pickup for the DH will end at noon on Saturday (as always.)

Mike
    Last edited by MikeMac; 02-05-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    Support Open Space!

Slopestyle Rider
    My bad, Mike... I was told that someone was stepping on the date, knowing full well they already had it scheduled... turns out it wasn't you guys. It is the Adidas Slopestyle guys in Austria. Sorry for the mix-up.

Joel

mtbr member
    Mine too Joel - after re-reading all that I wrote I seem pretty *****y. Sorry about that - we're as bummed about the conflict as anyone, but at the end of the day there are 2 great gravity events for the riders to choose from and while that may be a problem, it's a 'problem' that most regions would absolutely kill to have.

I'm sure that we'll get it sorted out in 2009 and that we'll do our very best to complement Crankworks instead of conflict with it.

Mike
    Support Open Space!

mtbr member
    MavSports, reading your replies makes me want to sign up for your entire schedule just to support you guys. Now if I could only remember where I left my shred of talent.....

Slopestyle Rider
    Mike,

If the Crankworx DH is on Friday and the MSC DH is on Sunday, that leaves a full travel day to get to Telluride. So theoretically, if the Crankworx DH was run early Friday, then the DH crowd could race early(ier) Friday, then pack up, trek to Telluride and be there Friday night. That leaves them Saturday to get settled in, get some laps in, get registered, etc? So basically what I'm getting at, is maybe there is a way for people to race both without rushing from one event to the other and possibly keep people from having to choose which event to race...

Living the High Life
    Sol Vista DH and Crankworx on the same weekend would be insane

It would be such a great time even if a person wasn't racing to have two events at different resorts within 20 miles of each other!

Slopestyle Rider
    The DH at Crankworx CO will be on Mountain Goat this year, btw... They are going to be running two lifts this summer to open up the new terrain. Anyone not familiar with Mounatin Goat should be aware that it is a gnarly ass trail...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The DH at Crankworx CO will be on Mountain Goat this year, btw... They are going to be running two lifts this summer to open up the new terrain. Anyone not familiar with Mounatin Goat should be aware that it is a gnarly ass trail...
    My skills must be better than I think (mediocre at best) or Mountain Goat has changed in the last 6 years. I rode that trail on my hardtail and didn't walk a thing.

Maybe Crankworx CO should give time bonuses to those that get down the hill with the least amount of suspension.

mtbr member
    Yes. A SolVista/WP weekend. We'd probably put on a G3 there in '09 if we could work the dates out with both the CC folks and the SolVista folks.

Joel - I think that it's possible for riders to race both events, but that only a few diehards will. Nonetheless, we appreciate the thoughtful scheduling and who knows, maybe it'll work out fine.

Congrats on getting more terrain and lifts open - the whole community benefits from that. Keep up the good work.

Mike
    Support Open Space!

mtbr member
    Paging Joelalamo -

Hey Joel - a solution might actually be in the works for this year. Can you give me a shout when you have a minute?

mikemac@bigfootproduction.com

TX<
    Mike
    Support Open Space!

Slopestyle Rider
    I sent you an email...

mtbr member
    Got it - TX. I sent Bob the broad strokes of what we're thinking about doing. We'll see what he comes back with. The way the schedules are right now it could actually be pretty cool.

Mike
    Support Open Space!

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by splitter_66
    My skills must be better than I think (mediocre at best) or Mountain Goat has changed in the last 6 years. I rode that trail on my hardtail and didn't walk a thing.

Maybe Crankworx CO should give time bonuses to those that get down the hill with the least amount of suspension.
    You must be pretty skilled. Or maybe you took alternate routes around some stuff. Maybe you should race down it and see if it's tougher than you think when you're trying to go fast.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!