Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Goat Head
    Reputation: SomethingRelatedToBiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    469

    COS Wednesday Night Ride 12/5

    So last week was pretty sick which required a lot of concentration so we never got around to talking about what we are going to ride this coming Wednesday (unless I just missed it due to headyness of ride). Today I did a little Pulpit/University Park loop with Molly today and I had an idea. How about this:

    Pulpit Rock parking lot ->
    Around single track to University Park ->
    Up smooth climb to University Park neighborhood (into cul de sac) ->
    Bike path to Palmer (I know a good route) ->
    Around south to Palmer Park stables ->
    Big outer limit loop around Palmer with maybe some detours ->
    Back around to NW corner but on the single track paralleling Austin Buffs ->
    Bike path back to University Park ->
    *Extra Credit* bike lane up to high point drop in Coordinates: 38.903415,-104.795229 ->
    Northern technical trail back to Pulpit...

    Thoughts? Too much concrete? I'd just rather not do a pure Palmer Park ride since we've been there twice recently...

  2. #2
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,010
    Tame and easy night ride to recover from a bonko ride is normally a red rocks or two loop. Nothing super hard but still not too much paved stuff. That would be my vote.

  3. #3
    I think I can.
    Reputation: JOEMTBR COLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Ride bikes, check.

    So I had some stuff left in my truck last week, bag with chain cleaner, lube etc. and body armor. If no one wants it I will keep it
    Last edited by JOEMTBR COLORADO; 12-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.

    Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

  4. #4
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,602
    I'm downfor whatever. A while ago Jay was talking about a lot of singletrack inthe Pulpit Rock area--any chance we could rie that into what Chris suggested? I would kinda prefer to avoid Palmer Park if were just going to dabble there...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tennubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    295
    I have never ridden Pulpit Rock, and there is nothing better than riding new trails for the first time in the dark. I am up for whatever route is chosen.

  6. #6
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,138
    I'm down for whatever really.
    Weather should be awesome, as usual. :-D
    Where is Pulpit Rock parking lot?

  7. #7
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    I'm down for whatever really.
    Weather should be awesome, as usual. :-D
    Where is Pulpit Rock parking lot?
    The one I know is right off Nevada near I-25. If we start there, maybe we can finish at il vicinos.

  8. #8
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    The one I know is right off Nevada near I-25. If we start there, maybe we can finish at il vicinos.
    I was thinking something similar. Il vicinos would be a nice finish. We can probably squeeze about 7 miles out of pulpit rock and don't mind playing guide.

  9. #9
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    I was thinking something similar. Il vicinos would be a nice finish. We can probably squeeze about 7 miles out of pulpit rock and don't mind playing guide.
    So how about we start at the parking lot to the north of Il Vicinos then? It's pretty easy to get from there to the Pulpit Rock trailhead. There used to be singletrack from UCCS to about where Costco is now (you probably know the trail) to get back down to Il Vs.

    I haven't ridden the trail above UCCS for a long time, but I remember some fun stuff up there.

  10. #10
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,138
    I'm in for some Jaydude laps at Pulpit!

  11. #11
    the Chain Guy
    Reputation: bismirle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I haven't ridden the trail above UCCS for a long time, but I remember some fun stuff up there.
    Is this Stumpjumper fun or Enduro fun?

  12. #12
    Goat Head
    Reputation: SomethingRelatedToBiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle View Post
    Is this Stumpjumper fun or Enduro fun?
    Stumpjumper

  13. #13
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle View Post
    Is this Stumpjumper fun or Enduro fun?
    There is a trail above UCCS that would be fun on the Enduro, but that would be the only section we're going to ride that would be Enduro fun (and you can ride that trail on the Stumpy no problem).

    Maybe P-dubs can join us this week without having to skip class. What time is your class over Paul? Wear your bike stuff to class and we can meet you somewhere!

  14. #14
    gotta get up to get down
    Reputation: p_DuBs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    There used to be singletrack from UCCS to about where Costco is now (you probably know the trail) to get back down to Il Vs
    see the map i attached for a nice pulput/austin bluffs loop, the blue section is the singletrack you're referring to (and it's awesome, i do laps on it)

    i'm out unfortunately, last class before finals then wednesdays are free!!!

    edit: i'll bring my bike stuff and try to catch you guys when I'm out of class around 7:30ish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COS Wednesday Night Ride 12/5-pulpit.jpg  


  15. #15
    gotta get up to get down
    Reputation: p_DuBs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    There is a trail above UCCS that would be fun on the Enduro, but that would be the only section we're going to ride that would be Enduro fun (and you can ride that trail on the Stumpy no problem).
    OH, the hike-a-bike entrance for this trail (right behind the UCCS apartments/fitness center) is actually really close to where i'll be around 7:20, and it ends in a fun roller-filled stretch of downhill that goes south down the main campus bluff

  16. #16
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    OH, the hike-a-bike entrance for this trail (right behind the UCCS apartments/fitness center) is actually really close to where i'll be around 7:20, and it ends in a fun roller-filled stretch of downhill that goes south down the main campus bluff
    Yes, that's the trail I'm thinking of. It's always the first trail to dry out in Colorado Springs so I used to ride it a lot back when we used to get snow...

    From there, it goes behind the campus buildings and then drops into one of the neighborhoods off of Union. I haven't ridden up there in about 5 years so I don't know what it's like now. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few new trails that have been added since then.

    We can try to steer the group to be in the area of the main campus at 7:30 if that is when you'll be able to ride.

  17. #17
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,138
    Is it Wednesday yet?
    So K-man, the official spot to meet is at Il Vecinos @ 6?
    Last edited by Short Bus; 12-04-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: just because

  18. #18
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Is it Wednesday yet?
    So K-man, the official spot to meet is at Il Vecinos @ 6?
    Yeah, I think that makes sense, but I'm not the guide so maybe one of them should weigh in. Il Vs is on the north side of that strip mall, and there is more parking lot to the north of the restaurant--my thought is to meet there.

  19. #19
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Yeah, I think that makes sense, but I'm not the guide so maybe one of them should weigh in. Il Vs is on the north side of that strip mall, and there is more parking lot to the north of the restaurant--my thought is to meet there.
    Il Vs is a great place to start and finish The only thing I am not sure about is how we are going to incorporate the single track that parallels Austin Bluffs. I usually do not include this in my normal loop but I think Chris had some ideas...

  20. #20
    gotta get up to get down
    Reputation: p_DuBs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    623
    should be out of class around 7, maybe earlier, so ill give you guys a call and try to link up

  21. #21
    the Chain Guy
    Reputation: bismirle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,054
    Always fun to hit new trails. I am excited about this. First night ride in weeks too. I have my shiny new Amoeba to rock thanks to Scar taking care of me after I put that nice size dent in my old one. Templeton man.... Templeton....

  22. #22
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    Il Vs is a great place to start and finish The only thing I am not sure about is how we are going to incorporate the single track that parallels Austin Bluffs. I usually do not include this in my normal loop but I think Chris had some ideas...
    We could ride down that on the way back from the campus unless Chris has other plans.

    I definitely would like to ride the roller trail from the top of the mesa down to campus at some point on the ride (even though I'm Unit-ing on this ride). I remember that trail as having some fun lines on it.

  23. #23
    gotta get up to get down
    Reputation: p_DuBs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    623
    attached an idea for the leader(s) of the group... after finishing at pulpit the group could head down the road that goes behind the UCCS sports fields to the apartments, Hike-a-bike up the bluff, back down the roller trail, thru campus back to the fitness center, then drop in on the trail that takes you back down to Nevada (unless y'all wanna head to palmer to get some more mileage in)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COS Wednesday Night Ride 12/5-campus_loop.jpg  


  24. #24
    Goat Head
    Reputation: SomethingRelatedToBiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    attached an idea for the leader(s) of the group... after finishing at pulpit the group could head down the road that goes behind the UCCS sports fields to the apartments, Hike-a-bike up the bluff, back down the roller trail, thru campus back to the fitness center, then drop in on the trail that takes you back down to Nevada (unless y'all wanna head to palmer to get some more mileage in)
    That would work. THe hike-a-bike will suck, but it is short. I use to live on Palm drive behind UCCS and know that they did work on the "roller trail" (the old ROTC) trail that drops down the ridge towards the east. Totally rideable, if a bit sketch in a spot. There is a gnar rock garden just before you hit campus, but in a good way. The trail that parallels Austin Bluffs down to the Nevada parking lot is super fun. I use to commute on it to work. Getting to that trail through campus takes about 2 minutes, mostly downhill. Riding down the stairs and popping under Nevada puts you right in the Smash Burger parking lot.

    We should park right near Il Vicino so we can watch the bikes. They are not busy on Wednesday nights.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tennubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    295
    Could you ride a CX bike on this ride or would that be absurd?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •