Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39

    COS Parks Opening

    Just a heads-up the parks in COS area are starting to open back up again -

    Update on Parks: As of 2 p.m. Sunday July 1, the following Regional Parks and Open Spaces have re-opened to the public:
    Garden of the Gods
    Red Rock Canyon Open Space
    Palmer Park
    Ute Valley Park
    North Cheyenne Canon
    Stratton Open Space
    Colorado Springs, CO

  2. #2
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,006
    Thanks for the info!!! I was wondering when this would happen.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coxroach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    36
    Thanks for the info. Been taking our parks for granted. I think I'll take the time to stop and pick up that trash next time I see it

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    66
    Road Ute Valley this morning. Only 2 other people out there...it was hot though!

  5. #5
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    Took a short spin through Ute at lunch. You can see the evidence of a spot fire (maybe 1/2-1 acre) to the Northwest of the Vindicator parking lot, on the parking lot side of the hogback. It's a good thing that was put out quickly!
    baker

  6. #6
    Shread Ready
    Reputation: Thrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,073
    Glad to hear you COS peeps get to go back out on the trails. Better get out early to avoid the heat! That's what I've been doing recently. I even have a potential job opportunity in the North part of the Springs. COS may be farther from the resorts but I bet it's an awesome place to live/ride. Hope the fires didn't/don't cause too much damage to the trails. They also advise no outdoor activity if you smell smoke in the air.

  7. #7
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    What's the best trail system in the area that is still rideable?
    Nothing to see here.

  8. #8
    Living Large in Germany
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    105
    It's probably easier to answer what isn't rideable--anything North of 24 up to about the AF Academy and West of the 'springs up to nearly Woodland Park. Obviously nearly everything that drops off to the South of Rampart Range including Waldo & Williams Canyon and Rampart Range Reservoir.

  9. #9
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    What's the best bang for the buck trail I could ride on weeknights after work then what could I travel to within an hour or so on the weekends?
    Nothing to see here.

  10. #10
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    What's the best bang for the buck trail I could ride on weeknights after work then what could I travel to within an hour or so on the weekends?
    Lots and lots of choices...the questions are probably worthy of their own thread (or research with the search function).
    baker

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39
    Just wanted to update this as I came across these closures first hand today --

    (From ColoradoSprings.com)

    Lower Gold Camp Road and High Drive will remain closed indefinitely due to continued high fire danger (access available for residents only with ID).
    Colorado Springs, CO

  12. #12
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,133
    @rideit- Thanks for the update. I guess if there is an arsonist running around it's probably best to keep it closed for a while... Hopefully this rain will stick around for a while.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7
    I rode Falcon Trail Monday & Tuesday - its completely open. If you don't have a DOD ID, come in the North Gate. No damage except on the south side of Stanley Canyon where the dozers crossed the trail. Its a little sandy but nothing to major. There are some dozer tracks on the part of the trail that runs parallel to Monument Creek road (back toward the Tesla power plant) - a little bumpy.
    There are some nice reroutes, but the crew the Academy hired really di*&ed up the approaches to Golf Course ridge - I still can't figure out how digging ditches in the trail will help with drainage. But a couple of good rains should fill those in...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colo Springs E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    581
    Rode Ute Valley this morning, was fun to be on dirt.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12
    Good to hear. I'll be doing some riding down there this Sunday. Any suggestions?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrk9182 View Post
    Good to hear. I'll be doing some riding down there this Sunday. Any suggestions?
    It all depends on what kind of ride your looking for tech/rocky, flowy - any of our trails will not disappoint though. Just start early to beta the heat and weekend crowds. Last Sunday I think I encountered 11 people on a ride- but that was on 1 of the 2 open trail systems we had since the fire closed most down.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    It all depends on what kind of ride your looking for tech/rocky, flowy - any of our trails will not disappoint though. Just start early to beta the heat and weekend crowds. Last Sunday I think I encountered 11 people on a ride- but that was on 1 of the 2 open trail systems we had since the fire closed most down.

    Let's go for flowy

    I'd make a new thread but I don't have enough posts to start a new thread

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flash278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by rideithard View Post
    Just wanted to update this as I came across these closures first hand today --

    (From ColoradoSprings.com)

    Lower Gold Camp Road and High Drive will remain closed indefinitely due to continued high fire danger (access available for residents only with ID).

    Can you go up Gold Camp from the Chutes or is that considered closed above the Chutes?
    What about up Gold Camp from N. Cheyenne Canyon Rd. towards the start of Buckhorn?

  19. #19
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,133
    Apparently Gold Camp road is closed, and is being patrolled by the National Guard.
    At least this is what I've heard from someone who was up there yesterday.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39
    Rode Palmer Park today, still lots of sandy sections - some parts are very deep - other sections of trail have now been moved - the downhill that parallels the main park road. Take it easy out there as a lot of rocks are still moving and the sand is sketchy.
    Colorado Springs, CO

  21. #21
    Twin Six METAL Team
    Reputation: chrisgardner73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by videopelli View Post
    but the crew the Academy hired really di*&ed up the approaches to Golf Course ridge - I still can't figure out how digging ditches in the trail will help with drainage. But a couple of good rains should fill those in...
    Digging those channels helps redirect the water off to the side of the trail, versus straight down it, and causing the trail to wash out. In my limited trail work experience though...the channels don't usually need to be two feet wide and almost a foot deep. My experience though, was out in the midwest where the soil was more clay-like and held its shape with the rain. Maybe they had to dig it like that because the dirt is so loose up there and fills in faster. Until then though, I guess we have a little added challenge!

  22. #22
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Digging those channels helps redirect the water off to the side of the trail, versus straight down it, and causing the trail to wash out. In my limited trail work experience though...the channels don't usually need to be two feet wide and almost a foot deep. My experience though, was out in the midwest where the soil was more clay-like and held its shape with the rain. Maybe they had to dig it like that because the dirt is so loose up there and fills in faster. Until then though, I guess we have a little added challenge!
    Sorry OP to drag your thread OT.

    I hope you're not the one cutting those trenches Chris?

    Those ditches across the trail get people hurt when they don't expect them to be there.
    What's up with the flags on Captain Jacks?

    There are better more permanent fixes for getting water off a tread, like cutting the bench with the correct outslope or grade reversals.

    It's been almost a year since I caught one the wrong way and I'm still not fully healed.

    6 months on Cipro.
    9 months off the bike.
    Still have nerve/tendon damage.

    Deep trenches across a trail are not cool.

    If you feel you need to cut a trench like that to get water across a tread then you need to dig them deeper and put a piece of 12" culvert pipe in it and then cover it with dirt. Fix it right or leave it alone please.

    Leaving open trenches across a tread like that is BS IMHO. Sorry for the rant but I'm still pissed about this injury. It didn't need to happen.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrk9182 View Post
    Let's go for flowy

    I'd make a new thread but I don't have enough posts to start a new thread
    Cheyenne Mtn State Park is great for flow- $7 day pass fee unless you have a State Parks Pass. Falcon Trail on the Air Force Academy is another great option on the North side of town. Enter at the north gate, bring picture id, and park on the north side of the football stadium the trail is next to the parking area.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    Springsgov.com is no longer listing Old Stage and Gold Camp as closed can anyone confirm they are passable?

  25. #25
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by agnurmi View Post
    Springsgov.com is no longer listing Old Stage and Gold Camp as closed can anyone confirm they are passable?
    I'm curious to know this as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •