Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    The grus has been crushed!
    Best night ride of the year!!!
    Something about a shuttle just makes me happy!!!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    The grus has been crushed!
    Best night ride of the year!!!
    No, that was the best night ride EVER!

I can't believe we rode that trail in the dark top to bottom with only a few seemingly minor crashes, and no ride ending mechanicals! I also can't believe we rode that trail in in the end of November with only a few spots of ice and no real snow.

Thanks to Nick and Chris for organizing, thanks to the drivers/truck owners, and thanks to everyone for showing up and making it a great ride!

That ride set the bar pretty high--now what are we going to do to top it????

Team Inflexible
    Well done ladies and gents. Pretty impressive that such a large group of night riders could conquer that much loose wicked DH. Oh and having Pipeline beer on Pipeline trail was Win!

I will have pics up this evening.

Goat Head
    That ride was bonkers...had a blast though. I slept real fitful last night--dreams of wrecking mixed with being really tired. Pretty gnarly ride. So glad we all made it out under our own power.

Can we maybe do a Sante Fe ride next? Haha

I'm with stupid
    I know how to top it K, sadly it will have to wait till summer.............Can anyone say the peak shuttle wait at the summit till the sun goes down then turn on the lights and head down barr!! Just like those crazy guys across the pond do in all the videos.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Meh
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Meh
    Are you angry this morning lubes?

Chronic 1st-timer
    You know me well!
    I'll try to make up for missing that ride by pedaling Ridgeline tonight.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

the Chain Guy
    Missing a killer ride is like going through the 5 stages of grief. First there was denial. 'I bet it wasn't that great...'. That stage ended once I read the thread this morning. Next came anger. Pissed that my wife was sick, that I am feeling the early effects of whatever it is she has. That gave way to depression. Thoughts like 'I'll probably be sick for this Sunday's ride...' So that is 1-3... Not sure what stage comes next but I guess I'll find out once I make it there..haha. I am hoping depression turns to excitement. 'Ok, I missed that killer ride but what killer ride should I plan to make up for it'. Then that should lead to acceptance. 'Eh, I missed that ride but there will be plenty more'.
    ok... enough rambling I guess I better get back to work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would love to ride down the peak at night! Ill rent a bike for that one though.

mtbr member
    That was some EPIC GRUS CRUSHING. Thanks everyone for making last night my all time best night ride. Everyone rode fantastic and kept their bikes together. I am forever indeated to Beca for finding my phone, thanks Beca.

Goofing off?
    So I just read this entire 4 page thread. No pics? Now I have blue balls.

Goat Head
    Brian--So sorry for your loss. Group counseling session next Wednesday. Plenty of addicts ready to share their heart breaking stories of missed rides and how to cope with loss, depression, and giggle fits.

Ringing in on the Barr Trail idea, as much as I like bashing down Barr on my DH bike, I have no desire to do it at night. But that said, I would be totally be game to do ride my trail bike on Elk Park to Barr and then down either of the four ways I can think of after that. And, I do believe that is still possible for this year?!

On a previous discussion on suspension bikes, hard tails, and such, I had a lot of fun on the DH bike last night. Haven't ridden it since season's close at Winter Park. It took about five miles before I remembered how to ride it. It reminded me of more arguing points for why learning to ride a DH bike is important. Straight lining rocks is the obvious plus. Confidence building in those situations builds upon itself when trail riding. Relearning how to turn that slack head angle eventually came back to me which allowed me to break the rear end around without brakes..such a sick feeling. Big bikes drift like no other. The ability to manual though a quick section of rocks so you can put down the front wheel in the only safe spot on the trail is a ninja move more easily learned on the DH rig--precise handling is something most people would not imagine was something a burly big offers, but with their stiff wheels, frame and fork, it has it in spades. Preloading into 8" of squish sounds like a down side, and it is when you are going slow, but lifting the bike out of that travel at the right time with all the force you have gives you extra air time allowing you to land her farther down the trail, past that root, over those rocks, setting you up for the next turn with more speed than if you tried to plow through. And, pulling up and out of 8" takes milliseconds longer which lets your body find its balance before your wheels leave the ground.

It takes time to reveal the abilities of a DH bike, but the nuances learned will transfer to your other bikes. Every type of bike has a secret. Makes me want to go break a huffy riding down Jacks haha Ok, off the soap box, sorry =)

Jay--sorry to forget the camera again leaving you the sole cinematographer as usual..

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    On a previous discussion on suspension bikes, hard tails, and such, I had a lot of fun on the DH bike last night.
    Man, it was a mixed bag for me. I had a lot of fun every time the trail was pointed down, but I really was hating all of the flat and climbing sections.

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do for my next "big bike" when I retire the Delirium T, and that ride had me thinking that a 160mm Chiltocin with a 180mm fork might make me a lot happier than a 200mm Podium.

Regardless, I think I would have had a riot last night on any of the bikes that I own!

Goat Head
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do for my next "big bike" when I retire the Delirium T, and that ride had me thinking that a 160mm Chiltocin with a 180mm fork might make me a lot happier than a 200mm Podium.
    I recently built a Chiltocin 160 with a 160 lyric for a friend. It came out pretty sweet. Barent really loves it, it takes care of him well as he relearns to ride (been out of the saddle for six months or so). I bet I could arrange a "test ride" with him if you like. He lives right near Palmer too.

Goat Head
    So stat wise we did:
    15.03 miles
    4300 ft difference in min/max elevation
    3 hours 32 minutes
    25.4mph max speed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COS 11/28 Epic Night Ride-capture.jpg  

<100%
    Wow, that was the hardest 4000+ feet of DH I have ridden in a while - not technically although there was plenty of puckering going on at times. Other times my eyes were telling me I was going downhill but my legs were working just to keep moving - like pedaling through 4 inches of wet snow. Lots of sliding, drifting, railing, jumping and plenty of fun! The re-entry/endo onto Gold Camp Road was the low point of the ride for me but but all it cost me was a helmet and a few advil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    Wow, that was the hardest 4000+ feet of DH I have ridden in a while - not technically although there was plenty of puckering going on at times. Other times my eyes were telling me I was going downhill but my legs were working just to keep moving - like pedaling through 4 inches of wet snow. Lots of sliding, drifting, railing, jumping and plenty of fun! The re-entry/endo onto Gold Camp Road was the low point of the ride for me but but all it cost me was a helmet and a few advil.
    Good to hear that you did no damage to yourself or bike, I caught a glimpse of the endo and it made me cringe. It was good riding with you again.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Pics??

Team Inflexible
    Woah there folks, When jaydude is not riding bikes, romancing women, and climbing rock walls he can find time to post pictures from last nights ride! lol!

IMG_3610
    Lets start with my favorite pic from the ride

IMG_3576
    Bikes and riders were loaded with care for the shuttle

IMG_3583
    We all unloaded and got our grins on for the upcoming fun

IMG_3584

IMG_3586
    And a quick traverse over to FR 379 and the top of Pipeline

IMG_3592
    There were reports of bird flu, swine flu, and SAR's on this ride

IMG_3594.
    Die hard Inflexables!

IMG_3597
    (In my best texas accent) You gots to take the thingamabob and connect it to the wachamacallit Nick.

IMG_3598
    Well, Kristian doing what he does best, being Kristian.

IMG_3605
    jsj3831 negotiating some trees

IMG_3611
    TitusCO got up close and personal with this frozen waterfall.

IMG_3612
    Good thing we brought backup lights.

IMG_3614
    Bottle neck

IMG_3615
    HTRNs friend who likes trees

IMG_3617
    Kman chasing UFOs on Jones Park Trail

IMG_3618
    JoeMTBR on Jones Park Trail

IMG_3619
    Becca on Jones Park Trail

IMG_3626
    The crew finishing up Captain Jacks

IMG_3629
    STRTB and Joe WTF?

IMG_3620
    And what a way to celebrate Pipeline Trail with some Pipeline Porter!

We will be talking about this one for a while. Great riding everybody!

Goat Head
    Nice Pics Jay!! Great framing. I didn't realize that you took so many photos. Proof positive that we pulled this off. Promise to bring my camera next time.

the Chain Guy
    Great pics Jay. Thanks for taking the time from riding bikes, romancing women and climbing rocks to post. haha.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Yeah Jay! You should X-post them on the night riding forum with the thread title: Best Night Ride EVER!

You captured the mood of the ride perfectly--lots of fun riding and a fair amount of fun hanging out!

Goat Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    TitusCO got up close and personal with this frozen waterfall.
    I have to give it to Jimmy, he wrecked in a beautiful spot Glad you turned out okay, Jimmy.

I did it all for the kudo
    Great pics Jaydude!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast