..ouch

Cool Stuff - Interconnecting Boulder County Trails

Something pretty cool from the latest BMA newsletter. Has the potential to take Boulder County from having a number a decent trails, to an epic-sized network.

------------------
    Define the regional trail network in Western Boulder County

BMA has been working with our elected officials and land agency managers for three years to figure out how to build trails that connect all of western Boulder County's recreation destinations. Last September, all agencies gathered to get their collective arms around this task of looking beyond fencelines and connecting their parks and communities. We're excited to report they they were successful in their efforts and have agreed to engage in a process to include our community (that includes you!) to help redefine what recreation looks like in western Boulder County.

The RMTMP website is here: Regional Mountain Trails |

Planners enter into this process with no preconceived ideas about what this network will look like, so they want to hear from the public first. The process begins with "listening" meetings in almost every community in Boulder County:

Boulder - April 18
    Coal Creek Canyon - April 23
    Lyons - April 24
    Nederland - April 25
    Southeast County (Louisville) - April 29
    Jamestown - April 30
    Longmont - May 1
    Gold Hill - May 2
    Allenspark - May 7
    Ward - May 8
    Eldorado Springs - May 9

BMA Advocacy peeps have been dreaming about what this system would look like for years, but we know that if our community speak with one voice, our impact and needs become more powerful. Your voice is incredibly valuable -- if no one speaks up for mountain bike access, mountain biking needs will be overlooked.

First, please consider attending one of the meetings above to advocate for mountain bike access and express your wishes. In a nutshell, we all want connectivity between trail systems and new trails that take all recreation needs into consideration (including mountain biking). Any insight you have on potential trail corridors, types of trail between parks, best spots for a trail, or other ideas are great additional input.

Second, BMA would love to hear from mountain bikers from all of these communities to compare our hopes, fears and desires for this future trail network. We would like to support your requirements and we would like you to support our requirements as well.

Let's work together to get the most desirable result!
    -------------------

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Maybe this will get JeffCo off their collective arses and get rolling on the JeffCo version of this. How sweet would it be to connect everything from Deer Creek up to Lyons?

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Good stuff! The opportunities seem endless.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

ride
    Thanks for putting this out there, Thump. PLEASE everyone attend at least one meeting. This is our chance for "pie in the sky" connectivity - time to let them know what we want connected! I've got a pretty good laundry list together of things that I would like to see happen. I suspect many of you do, as well. They've got a FB page, too so it'll be easy to stay connected...

https://www.facebook.com/RegionalMountainTrails
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    And they're on teh Twitters... https://twitter.com/RMTMP

flowcus
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Maybe this will get JeffCo off their collective arses and get rolling on the JeffCo version of this. How sweet would it be to connect everything from Deer Creek up to Lyons?
    Why stop in Lyons? Fill some gaps between Lyons and Loveland and you've got a pretty sweet network spanning almost to the Wyoming border. We already have DBB, Blue Sky, HTMP, Lory hooked up with FC/Larimer open space acquisitions along the front range to the border. Go big!!
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by fcrider View Post
    Why stop in Lyons? Fill some gaps between Lyons and Loveland and you've got a pretty sweet network spanning almost to the Wyoming border.
    Primarily because the scope of the project is Boulder County. However, part of what we're trying to accomplish within the county is to connect Lyons NE to Rabbit Mountain. North of Rabbit is Larimer County and it's up to them to get their ducks in a row from Backbone south.

That said, many years ago 99 or 00 if I remember, there was effort put into a "front range" trail that was to have gone from Cheyenne to Pueblo. This would all be part of that alignment as well.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO