Indian Brother

Converters - a winter 14er bikey thing.

Here's a solution to a problem most working folks with a life didn't know existed.

Converters.

This is the historical first-known-ever prototype!

So here's how it got started....

One small inefficiency in biking winter 14ers is the time it takes to change out from cycling shoes to mountaineering boots, as well as the extra pack weight to carry the boots.

The solution: Converters.

OK, don't laugh.

Allright, go ahead, laugh. They are pretty comical.

But the test run in the driveway tonight seemed to suggest they will work.

This particular first-ever prototype pair was made from an equally historic pair of Shimano SPD cycling shoes. I almost hated to rip into them. Such is the price of progress.

The idea is, you strap these bad boys to the bottoms of your mountaineering boots, then get on the bike, and ride the winter 14er approach. The converters have cleats on the bottom, so you don't have to change out to flat pedals before the 14er trip, and you get the advantage of full pedaling efficiency. Well, almost - I presume there will be a little more slop than with straight-up cycling shoes. But you get to use your clipless pedals.

Then, when it's time to change out to snowshoes or crampons, you simply pull off the converters and you're ready to go. No carrying mountaineering boots, no taking off gaiters and changing out shoes. And when you get back to the bike that night, you strap the converters back on and ride to the car.

Phase 1 testing will begin tomorrow during daylight hours.

If anyone wants to witness this historic event, it will take place (in the wet sloppy muck) on the dirt section of Gold Camp Road, in the Pikes Peak foothills, at a reasonably civilized mid-morning hour.

Should the new device be a resounding success, full details will be available exclusively on this website (and maybe a few choice mountaineering websites) for your viewing pleasure. If not, I'm sure this post will fall to the bottom of the pile - though perhaps not quite as quickly as the OP would have liked.

Bad Andy!
    You need to postr a link to your trip reports and show these fellas why you need them!!

mtbr member
    I like the way you think! I would maybe try to add a toe guard/way to keep the toe tight against the boot.

mtbr member
    Woah, cool!! You've invented... Toe Clips!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use something similar to this for duathlons. They'be been around for a while. Sorry

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Seems like a lot of work to avoid swapping out flat pedals, a 2 minute job. plus spds suck in snow.

Indian Brother
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Woah, cool!! You've invented... Toe Clips!
    No, not really. Toe clips would be an option, though a less desirable one. Flat pedals would be better than toe clips, though still not as desirable as clipless. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    I use something similar to this for duathlons. They'be been around for a while. Sorry
    If there's something already available for purchase that solves the problem, please, post. It would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325 View Post
    Seems like a lot of work to avoid swapping out flat pedals, a 2 minute job. plus spds suck in snow.
    I disagree. Clipless pedals hold you in better on rough snow, allow you to apply more "english" in tough situations, and still get you out of the pedal (unlike toeclips) when you're headed sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    You need to postr a link to your trip reports and show these fellas why you need them!!
    Perhaps Andy is correct. I think there may be a disconnect as to the problem this attempts to solve. Winter 14ers usually make for a long daytrip; often in excess of 12 hours. With a quick change-out, it's sweet to have the bike on the way back, in the dark, when you're dead tired. I've used the bike on two winter 14ers this year, which was actually a surprise to me. I have summitted 40 14ers in calendar winter to date. A total of four people have completed all of Colorado's 14ers in calendar winter. The few of us doing these all pretty much know each other. This is the first time any of us has used a bike for a portion of the approach. So it's kind of new ground.

So if anyone is interested, here is a bit of story-telling, which provides an example of the utility of the bicycle for summitting a winter 14er. Put the kids to bed, crack a beer, kick back by the fire, and enjoy... : )

14ers.com Trip Report - It's Not About the Bike: A Winter's Day on Mt. Lindsey

Indian Brother

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dancesatmoonrise View Post
    After reading your trip reports, you sir, are the man!!

I did it all for the kudo
    Jim, nice meeting you last Wednesday night and thanks for sharing your ride reports, what you have accomplished is indeed pretty darn special. I concur with the Goat, you are living the dream!

not actually bad :)
    BUMP...

R.I.P. JIM (Dancesatmoonrise)
    We have lost a special member of the MTB and 14er community.
    It was brought to my attention that Jim passed away yesterday.
    Search his posts here and trip reports at 14ers.com and you will be inspired.
    My condolences to his friends and family...
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    R.I.P Jim,
    I hope you are up there somewhere with a blond and a beer.
    Glad I had the pleasure of riding with you a few times,
    Thanks for leaving behind all the amazingly beautiful photos and truly inspiring trip reports.
    Will have to do a 14er in your honor sometime soon.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    BUMP...

R.I.P. JIM (Dancesatmoonrise)
    We have lost a special member of the MTB and 14er community.
    It was brought to my attention that Jim passed away yesterday.
    Search his posts here and trip reports at 14ers.com and you will be inspired.
    My condolences to his friends and family...
    RIP Dr. Jim DiNapoli, I used to climb eons ago with Jim down in the San Luis Valley, he liked working the ER all over the place since the weird hours left him time off to pursue climbing. I hadn't touched base with him in many years, and he was now a local ER Doc in the Spgs, biking, climbing and doing 14ers (he completed them all and was working on doing them in the winter). Another sad loss.

Stewart Green had a nice report on his death: Colorado Climber Jim DiNapoli Dies from Cancer

I did it all for the kudo
    Rest in peace and ride on Jim. I'm sure there was a very special place reserved for you up there.

Sent from the Mothership

Team Inflexible

Re: Converters - a winter 14er bikey thing.

I had the pleasure of both riding and climbing with Jim and I am grateful for knowing him and the inspiration he gave us all. Jim was one of those people who got it. He knew life was short and precious and seized the days and moments in the best way possible. You will be missed Jim but your spirit carries on.

Formerly Carlos9
    Fuck Cancer
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.