Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    a dad
    Jan 2004

Contour Roam, .mov files and macs?

Got a new video camera and I am frustrated with it.. movies are in .mov format, imovie wont recognize it.. any thoughts on what program works best for .mov files?? I am not the most advanced at this, but would like to be able to do something with movies instead of just the basic program that comes with it.. I have a 09 macbook if that helps clarify anything..

Thanks...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I would use HandBrake to convert the .mov file to .m4v. Just download HandBrake and find your .mov file... convert it to .m4v and retry your import of that file. If you have further questions or problems, feel free to let me know. Happy to help!

Good luck and can't wait to see your movie posted here later!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Got a new video camera and I am frustrated with it.. movies are in .mov format, imovie wont recognize it.. any thoughts on what program works best for .mov files?? I am not the most advanced at this, but would like to be able to do something with movies instead of just the basic program that comes with it.. I have a 09 macbook if that helps clarify anything..

Thanks...
    You want to use this to convert the video first.
    Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

You can get tips here:
    Editing on Vimeo Video School

Try this video also:
    Canon 5D MK II and 7D Workflow on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Try Freemake Video Convertor, downloadable here:

Freemake Video Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I know some here never click on links but this goes to download.com, where I download everything from. If you don't want to click on the link provided just Google Freemake Video Convertor.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Now with 20% more fat!!
    xcguy - Download.com (CNET) started adding some questionable crap to their downloads. I use filehippo.com to download files now, as they don't bundle crapware with the download of your choice.

Download Freemake Video Converter 3.0.1.3 - FileHippo.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303 View Post
    xcguy - Download.com (CNET) started adding some questionable crap to their downloads. I use filehippo.com to download files now, as they don't bundle crapware with the download of your choice.

Download Freemake Video Converter 3.0.1.3 - FileHippo.com
    Thanks for that tip.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Try Freemake Video Convertor, downloadable here:

Freemake Video Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I know some here never click on links but this goes to download.com, where I download everything from. If you don't want to click on the link provided just Google Freemake Video Convertor.
    Doesn't work for MAC
    BBZ

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Did HandBrake not work for you, billybobzia? I know that HandBrake has Mac / Windows / Linux versions.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Handbrake will convert them to m4v.. but that doesn't work with imovie either..

I hate technology
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    its 2009.. would a newer version work?
    BBZ

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Which version of iMovie are you using?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsd303 View Post
    which version of imovie are you using?
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Your basic problem here is you own a Mac.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I'm not sure... It always depends on the codecs being used...

One converter site talks about some of the issues and has a pay solution... Might be worth a try.
    MP4 to iMovie - How to import MP4 into iMovie
    According Apple official website, iMovie (including iMovie '11/'09/'08) can only import DV, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MOV and M4V. Though the MP4 file format defines the storage of MPEG-4 audio, scenes and multimedia content using the ISO Base Media File Format, the MP4 file may also contain any number of audio, video, and even subtitle streams. So it is impossible for the MP4 file to determine the type of streams in an MPEG-4 file based on its filename extension alone. Therefore, you may have some clues that why people using Mac always meet difficulty in importing mp4 into iMovie.

If you are still having problems, feel free to PM me... we can try to post your original file to a filesharing site (like ge.tt) and I can play with different video conversion apps to see which makes your version of iMovie happy. Let me know...
    Last edited by JSD303; 01-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I think I got it.. iMovie wasn't recognizing it, so I had to do it in a roundabout way...

Is there a way to convert multiple clips using handbrake or just one at a time?
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Your basic problem here is you own a Mac.
    I will take the random non compatibility issues for my stable operating system..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    I will take the random non compatibility issues for my stable operating system..
    My sister goes on and on about her Mac(s), how they're superior to PCs. She's never owned a PC, so how would she know? I've never had "stability" problems. Unstable mind, yes, but not unstable desktops In fact, I have three PC desktops in my home office and an XP Lenovo notebook. Never had the Blue Screen of Death, never had a virus etc. It takes routine updating of programs and system patches but that happens almost automatically.

Anyway, we're sure you're working on some amazing video for us to see so post it up when you're done

a dad
    Jan 2004
    My sister goes on and on about her Mac(s), how they're superior to PCs. She's never owned a PC, so how would she know? I've never had "stability" problems. Unstable mind, yes, but not unstable desktops In fact, I have three PC desktops in my home office and an XP Lenovo notebook. Never had the Blue Screen of Death, never had a virus etc. It takes routine updating of programs and system patches but that happens almost automatically.

Anyway, we're sure you're working on some amazing video for us to see so post it up when you're done
    I am not going to get into a fight about which computers are better... to each his own..

I know we can't ride bikes this weekend, but no need to pick a fight...
    BBZ

eci
    return it and get a gopro... they work with macs

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    Sounds like you got it figured out, but just in case anyone is looking for the solution in the future, it's simple: change the file extension from ".MOV" to ".mp4"

mtbr member
    imovie '11 has no issues with .mov (FYI)
    found this is still having issues: How to import any movie file into Imovie - YouTube

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am sorry to sabotage this thread...but I hope someone can help me...

I had the same issue as the original writer, Billybobzia...I have an 2009 macbook with 09 iMovie...
    I just used my ContourRoam for the first time today and recorded stuff...mistakenly, I turned the lens around, and a few of the video clips are upside down I need to turn them around...is there any way??I have tried for the past 4 hours to fix it, but iMovie does not let me import the files,which are in .mov format....please please help
    and billybobzia,...did you use handbrake to fix it?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Yes, super easy as stated above by bells.. just drag the movie to the desktop, rename it with the extension .mp4 and drag it back into iMovie and it works just fine..

I am not sure about turning them around though...

you can check out some of my practice vids at you tube, account is BBZ0925cz
    BBZ

Now with 20% more fat!!
    You can rotate your video using iMovie '09 once you rename the file to.mp4 and import it. Instructions for rotating the video on a PC or Mac are at the below link - scroll to bottom for iMovie instructions:

How To Rotate Video Files on Your Mac and PC

Good luck and can't wait to see the final product!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303 View Post
    You can rotate your video using iMovie '09 once you rename the file to.mp4 and import it. Instructions for rotating the video on a PC or Mac are at the below link - scroll to bottom for iMovie instructions:

How To Rotate Video Files on Your Mac and PC

Good luck and can't wait to see the final product!
    Thanks for the info... I have a couple that need 180 deg flippage- thought were right side up the other day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast