mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Contemplating move to Denver area....

I am considering a job related move from Houston to the Denver area. I would be working in Commerce City area, if it all came together.

I realize that compared to Houston anywhere in Colorado would be a great improvement, but I was curious where I should consider living for best access to trails, beer and considering the commute in roughly that order.

It would be pretty good job, so most areas, I think, would be within reach financially. We might want to live closer in town for easier access to all the good stuff the city offers, but I'm not sure how that impacts getting to decent trails.

Appreciate any input!

Scott

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If money isn't much of an issue Golden or Boulder probably in that order. Commerce city is pretty far from Boulder. I dunno about denver, not a big city fan anymore after living in chicago most of my life.

mtbr member
    Getting around the Denver area is a lot better than Houston. Golden is so popular because it's a good bridge between outdoor access and easy access to Denver metro. Arvada and Wheat Ridge would cut down on the commute though, and be more affordable than Golden.

Oh, and cue the countdown until SS ironically laments the lack of a sticky on this topic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I live in South Boulder and work in commerce city. It's about a 30 minute commute down 36 in the morning. I think it is well worth the drive to be able to ride trails right out your doorstep. However, when it snows that commute can turn into a 30-60 minute ride depending on conditions and accidents.

If not Boulder, you could consider Louisville or Superior as well, they are a few minutes closer to Denver and still pretty close to trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Fresh brewed coffee in hand, step onto the porch of your home in CC and take a deep breath of the fresh Colorado air... another day in paradise!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    There really ought to be a sticky for this kind of inquiry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I live in Golden and commute to I-70/Pena daily. About 35-40 mins. The commute can get tiring but it's pretty sweet to have riding out the front door and an elk herd over the back fence...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for all the quick replies!

35-40 minutes, ha, it takes me an hour to get to work now, and I have no riding within 60 miles of me and even that is 100% flat.

I used to live right across the street from Galbraith Mountain in Bellingham, WA, so I know how nice that riding out your front door is!

Also sorry, for the repeat, but I looked down the the first several pages and couldn't find anything, so laziness took over! Maybe there should be stickl

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Fresh brewed coffee in hand, step onto the porch of your home in CC and take a deep breath of the fresh Colorado air... another day in paradise!
    Where I work, depending on the direction of the wind it's either dog food, the platte, or one of many grow houses. I prefer the latter.

Also, I stress that if you did move to Boulder, I would stay in south boulder as living elsewhere within the city could add considerable time to your commute with the traffic just getting out of town.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter808484 View Post
    Also sorry, for the repeat, but I looked down the the first several pages and couldn't find anything, so laziness took over! Maybe there should be stickl
    LOL. Wut?

Moving to CO, need advice on good location

I was just havin' fun at your expense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ...easier access to all the good stuff the city offers..
    When in CO, the good stuff is west, in the hills, not the cities.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think Golden is a really cool town not only for the out the door riding but the people and the fun downtown with Clear Creek running through. Also, the way it's tucked behind Table Mtn it feels a long way away from Denver, which is only 20 mins away without traffic. And now there's light rail from Golden right to downtown.

Addicted to Dirt
    If you like Houston you will absolutely LOVE Limon

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Colorado=snowy commutes in winter. Think: snow tires, winter coats, scraping ice off your windshield (Google "ice"). It's different here!

Houston=never any snow ever.

Yes, there is a Sticky. No need to dial in a long commute just because your commutes were long in Houston. You're going to be driving to work everyday, you'll be driving to the trailheads a lot less than that.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

insert sarcasm here
    I'm originally from Houston (shhh!) and the first thing I noticed about Denver is the lack of rush hour traffic. Unlike Houston, even when the traffic is bad, it never actually stops completely. Oh, and the mountains totally unsuck.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
    an elk herd over the back fence...
    Mmmm, tastey rodents
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Colorado=snowy commutes in winter. Think: snow tires, winter coats, scraping ice off your windshield (Google "ice"). It's different here!

Houston=never any snow ever.
    A year ago I lived in the Bellingham, WA snowbelt. In each of the past 3 winters I had at least 2 feet of snow on my back porch at least once per year and lived in Indiana and Ohio before that, so snow and ice I know about. In fact, I bet I'm the only guy in all Houston that has a John Deere snowblower in his garage and drives on Nokian WR2 tires!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A year ago I lived in the Bellingham, WA snowbelt. In each of the past 3 winters I had at least 2 feet of snow on my back porch at least once per year and lived in Indiana and Ohio before that, so snow and ice I know about. In fact, I bet I'm the only guy in all Houston that has a John Deere snowblower in his garage and drives on Nokian WR2 tires!!
    I had neighbors once straight from Houston. They had flown to Colorado to ski many times but hadn't lived in a snowy climate. I had to teach the lady how to wear a wool hat when it was -10 degrees. "Really, it will help keep you warn and the heck with your hair".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    If you like Houston you will absolutely LOVE Limon
    +1 for limon

Contemplating move to Denver area....-limon.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    In addition to mountain bikes I commute to work on a motorcycle everyday where I don't think I'll die because of black ice. I've gone way beyond the wool hat to the electric heat suit. MMMMM toasty!!!

Phone interview in an hour, have to make this work out!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ...I don't think I'll die because of black ice....
    But you need to be aware that black ice is the worlds most slippery substance to where if you touch it, you will end up in an uncontrollable spin which will result in a fiery explosion and death.

mtbr member
    I hear California is nice...

mtbr member
    I work in lovely Commerce City and used to live in Golden, the commute was about 25-30 minutes on a good day. Now I commute in from Evergreen and it takes about 45. This is on a clear day doing around the speed limit. Snow days its just best to work from home if you can.

If you get the job I would rent something for 6-12 months to get a feel for the place and then decide where you want to buy.
    "Never get out of the boat. Unless your goin' all the way."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletSlayer View Post
    I work in lovely Commerce City and used to live in Golden, the commute was about 25-30 minutes on a good day. Now I commute in from Evergreen and it takes about 45. This is on a clear day doing around the speed limit. Snow days its just best to work from home if you can.
    West Arvada here. Work in Commerce City/Henderson. Only traffic I get is I-70 west of the I-76 split. Then it's generally smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletSlayer View Post
    If you get the job I would rent something for 6-12 months to get a feel for the place and then decide where you want to buy.
    X2 -that's what I did

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    Getting around the Denver area is a lot better than Houston.
    I disagree.

I spent two years with my company in Houston. At first I lived up north in Humble/Atascosita and then inside the Loop, near Memorial Pkwy.

Yes, Houston has traffic, but it also has lots of roads and lots of options. Denver does not.

In Denver, if you're going W>E (or vice versa) and I70 is backed up, you're screwed. Same for N>S and I25.