rpalmer
    Aug 2008

Considering Trip to Colorado -- Where do I go?

Hey Colorado! I'm coming in August or September from Salt Lake City and I need some recommendations on where to ride. We ride mostly XC/All Mountain stuff. Heard great things about Telluride & Breckenridge but nothing specific. Don't really care about lift-assisted rides, just epic scenery and fun riding. We are pretty strong riders. Where should we go?

mtbr member
    Make sure to stop in Grand Junction. Ride the Lunch Loops area.

You could do a road trip from there. Telluride, Crested Butte, Breckenridge. Kind of a nice loop through Colorado Rocky Mountains.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    You can't really go wrong with CB, Durango or Breck. Great scenery and epic rides.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    I will 3rd all that. Durango, CB, Breck...

www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Limon. Totally underrated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Limon. Totally underrated.
    Don't hold out on the guy. OP, check into the Pawnee Grasslands up in NE CO
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2011
    come to Crested Butte, it's not a bad drive from SLC and it has some of the best biking in Colorado. The air is clear, it won't be 85-100 degrees like on the front range and you won't have to deal with crowds even on weekends.

You can't go wrong with telluride/Durango area either, their biking is superb. Fruita is really awesome, but i wouldn't go this time of year since it's going to be blazing hot.

banned
    strong riders, awesome

go loop the wasatch trail in telluride

Rigid in Evergreen
    Someone should make this a sticky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am in the same boat myself. My wife isn't a strong rider, so we will probably hit some shorter trails. I am trying to find which place will have better weather August 12th- August 25th. It looks like trails in Western Colorado will be hotter than hitting the ski resorts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ArTech View Post
    I am in the same boat myself. My wife isn't a strong rider, so we will probably hit some shorter trails. I am trying to find which place will have better weather August 12th- August 25th. It looks like trails in Western Colorado will be hotter than hitting the ski resorts.
    Weather is pretty consistent in CO. Higher elevation will be cooler temps, but also tougher rides if she isn't strong. Low humidity so even when it's hot morning and evening provides relief. Crested Butte would probably be good because a lot of non-tech stuff there, options to loop big epics or smaller loops on the different trails. Fun town, good options to just kick back and relax.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Crested Butte doesn't look too bad. I am wanting to hike up Mt. Elbert when we come out west, so we will be in the central part of the state. I just need to figure out how to put together a 7-10 day trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah it's not so bad :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Maps View Post
    I will 3rd all that. Durango, CB, Breck...

4th that. Especially if you're coming in mid august. Temps will be perfect in the high country, and hot as blazes elsewhere. All three have great biking. Breck would be closest to Mt. Elbert (nice drive, about an hour). You could also make Elbert on the way from Breck to CB by taking Cottonwood pass out of Buena Vista.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks guys for some advise. Any ideas on which area will be more dog friendly?

mtbr member
    All 3 are pretty dog friendly. As you get closer to Denver it becomes less dog friendly.

"Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    most trails in these areas are National Forest, check the rules before you ride.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Please keep your f***ing dogs under control if you're going to send them off-leash. We had an awesome encounter with dogs when we were backpacking with our kids this past weekend. The mutts were running ahead of their owners and decided to help themselves to our lunch as we were eating it.

Owners were apologetic but STILL didn't put them on leash. I suppose they thought nobody *else* might be eating lunch around noon in the wilderness...

And yes, I'm sorry for turning this thread into one of THOSE threads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't blame you for being upset. Dogs are like kids, some people don't keep them under control lol. We are fortunate that from a young age we worked with him a lot. He stays between my wife and I when we hike or ride bikes. I have seen some pretty worthless owners with their dog on a 20 ft lead in a crowded area, an the dog running between people. I put our dog on leash when we meet people, so he.doesn't scare them since he is German Shepherd and it scares some people. Even though he ie a big baby and loves playing with kids. Anyway, Arkansas is more remote and you often don't see anyone else on a lot of our trails.

ride
    Honesty ArTech and rpalmer, you're probably going to be pretty stoked wherever you find yourself out here. I have yet to ride somewhere in CO that didn't just put a huge smile on my face. I'd loosely plot out a vaca path, then I'd find riding to throw into the schedule. Don't over analyze it. Front Range has some great riding but can be crowded. Colo Springs, Salida, Breckenridge, Winter Park, Vail, Glenwood, Telluride, Durango, Cortez, the list doesn't end. All have epic riding and even better scenery.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ignazjr, you are probably right. LOL