Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Go make a difference

Considering a move west

Hi gang,
    Just putting some feelers out to get some info and wanted to get some first hand feedback from you. My fiance and I are talking about a move to CO and are trying to figure out the best places for us to look. Here are the search criteria:
    1. Within 2 hours of major airport (so Denver in this case)
    2. Must have excellent mtn biking, whitewater (for rafting, canoeing / kayaking and river boarding), flatwater paddling spots for those easy days, hiking, and access to climbing (last of the priorities).
    3. Reasonably priced real estate, schools not an issue -- it's just us and the dogs!
    4. Front Range or Western Slope doesn't matter as long as it's within a couple hours of the airport (needed because of the international adventure tourism trips I run).

We're not looking for fancy, high-priced, snobby neighborhoods / towns. Just someplace a little crunchy with good people and a good local scene (food, music, stuff to do on a Friday night besides a movie).

Thanks for your feedback!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Which way? Uphill.
    That sticky thread right at the top of the forum about moving to CO might help you out.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to check out the sticky above. We've gone over these questions countless times. You're more likely to get responses if you have very specific questions which take your previous research into account.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker View Post
    Hi gang,
    Just putting some feelers out to get some info and wanted to get some first hand feedback from you. My fiance and I are talking about a move to CO and are trying to figure out the best places for us to look. Here are the search criteria:
    1. Within 2 hours of major airport (so Denver in this case)
    2. Must have excellent mtn biking, whitewater (for rafting, canoeing / kayaking and river boarding), flatwater paddling spots for those easy days, hiking, and access to climbing (last of the priorities).
    3. Reasonably priced real estate, schools not an issue -- it's just us and the dogs!
    4. Front Range or Western Slope doesn't matter as long as it's within a couple hours of the airport (needed because of the international adventure tourism trips I run).

We're not looking for fancy, high-priced, snobby neighborhoods / towns. Just someplace a little crunchy with good people and a good local scene (food, music, stuff to do on a Friday night besides a movie).

Thanks for your feedback!
    We have no idea what this means to you.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Oh - and Utah's nice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Colorado isn't what it was ten years ago, try Montana or Utah. It's a cluster and it turning into the California of the rockies. Over priced, over populated and horrible traffic.
    "Just moved to denver, any suggestions on what rubbers to use when i bang loose denver chicks ?"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by meat-market View Post
    Colorado isn't what it was ten years ago, try Montana or Utah. It's a cluster and it turning into the California of the rockies. Over priced, over populated and horrible traffic.
    that's just the front range...the western slope is still uncrowded, clean air, no traffic and the weekend warriors from the city never make it this far into the mountains usually.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wait.

We were saying this in 1997 too.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    TomP FTMFW!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker View Post
    ...4. Front Range or Western Slope doesn't matter as long as it's within a couple hours of the airport (needed because of the international adventure tourism trips I run)...
    FYI, the only western slope communities that would be within 2 hours of DIA would be Winter Park and Summit County (Silverthorne, Breckenridge, Frisco).

The Western Slope is defined as the part of Colorado west of the Continental Divide. It's not everything west of the Front Range.

For example: Buena Vista is a place that more or less meets your requirements, but is not Western Slope. It's in the Arkansas Valley, and the Arkansas flows east toward the Mississippi.

This is a pet peeve of mine. MTBr actually enforces it. The fact that it partitions Colorado into Front Range and Western Slope excludes vast portions of Colorado. Salida is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. Buffalo Creek is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. By some peoples' definitions Pueblo is not Front Range, by others it is. But it is certainly not Western Slope. Lake City is Western Slope, Creede is not.

Another peeve of mine is calling all the mountains on the western boundary of the upper Arkansas Valley "The Collegiate Peaks" or worse yet "The Collegiate Range". It's the Sawatch Range. The Collegiates are a cluster of mountains in the Sawatch, west and northwest of Buena Vista. There is no University of Antero, Tabeguache College, or Shavano Institute of Technology. Those are Ute Indian names, as the word Sawatch is a Ute Indian word. Nor is Elbert or Massive a name associated with the Ivy League.

OK, enough puffing and ranting for a while.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Salida is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. Buffalo Creek is neither Front Range nor Western Slope.
    Salidistan? Salidaslovakia? Salidiswana? Salidgolia?

.....Saliderica or Saliderado!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Oh - and Utah's nice.

mtbr member
    Physiographic Provinces of Colorado:

Major Topographic Features in Colorado:

1 Uinta Mountains
    2 Yampa Plateau
    3 Danforth Hills
    4 Williams Fork Mountains
    5 Elkhead Mountains
    6 Park Range
    7 Independence Mountain
    8 Rabbit Ears Range
    9 Medicine Bow Mountains
    10 Never Summer Mountains
    11 Front Range
    12 Williams Fork Mountains
    13 Gore Range
    14 King Mountain
    15 Castle Peak
    16 White River Plateau
    17 Flat Top Mountains
    18 Grand Hogback
    19 Roan Plateau
    20 Book Cliffs
    21 Uncompahgre Plateau
    22 Battlement Mesa
    23 Grand Mesa
    24 West Elk Mountains
    25 Ruby Range
    26 Elk Mountains
    27 Basalt Mountain
    28 Red Table Mountain
    29 Hardscrabble Mountain
    30 Sawatch Range
    31 Ten Mile Range
    32 Mosquito Range
    33 Arkansas Hills
    34 Waugh Mountain
    35 Platte River Mountains
    36 Kenosha Mountains
    37 Tarryall Mountains
    38 Rampart Range
    39 Pikes Peak Massif
    40 Wet Mountains
    41 Raton Mesa (Fisher Mesa)
    42 Raton Mesa (Barela Mesa)
    43 Spanish Peaks
    44 Sangre de Cristo Range
    45 San Luis Hills
    46 Cochetopa Hills
    47 San Juan Mountains
    47 La Garita Hills
    48 La Garita Mountains
    49 Sawtooth Mountain
    50 Grenadier Range
    51 Needle Mountains
    52 San Miguel Mountains
    53 Rico Mountains
    54 La Plata Mountains
    55 Hogback Monocline
    56 Mesa Verde
    57 Sleeping Ute Mountain

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post

They totally located the Grenadier Range in the wrong spot...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

You really didn't see that glaringly bold sticky at the top of this forum?

Please stay in Georgia. We have no tolerance for rednecks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wait.

We were saying this in 1997 too.

right?

I just spent three years in Summit county and moved back to Westminster.. Summit county is just, yeah.. Great place to visit.. But to live, not so much. The amount of traffic we get in the winter is just retarded at this point, and there is no plans on expanding roads to accommodate the influx of retards... If I had my way and weren't so deeply rooted in CO, I would high tail it to Bozeman Montana with the quickness...
    "Just moved to denver, any suggestions on what rubbers to use when i bang loose denver chicks ?"

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    This is a pet peeve of mine. MTBr actually enforces it. The fact that it partitions Colorado into Front Range and Western Slope excludes vast portions of Colorado. Salida is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. Buffalo Creek is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. By some peoples' definitions Pueblo is not Front Range, by others it is. But it is certainly not Western Slope. Lake City is Western Slope, Creede is not.

Another peeve of mine is calling all the mountains on the western boundary of the upper Arkansas Valley "The Collegiate Peaks" or worse yet "The Collegiate Range". It's the Sawatch Range. The Collegiates are a cluster of mountains in the Sawatch, west and northwest of Buena Vista. There is no University of Antero, Tabeguache College, or Shavano Institute of Technology. Those are Ute Indian names, as the word Sawatch is a Ute Indian word. Nor is Elbert or Massive a name associated with the Ivy League.
    What you describe is actually all part of Texas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    Please stay in Georgia. We have no tolerance for rednecks.
    But bigotry is tolerated by some. ^^^^

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    right?

I just spent three years in Summit county and moved back to Westminster.. Summit county is just, yeah.. Great place to visit.. But to live, not so much. The amount of traffic we get in the winter is just retarded at this point, and there is no plans on expanding roads to accommodate the influx of retards... If I had my way and weren't so deeply rooted in CO, I would high tail it to Bozeman Montana with the quickness...
    You know they're complaining about the same $hit in Bozeman, right? Except then, you'd be on the *receiving* end of it.

lucky enough
    Glad you got that off your chest TomP. I too hate it when people are inaccurate.

Folks on the Western slope can fly out of Grand Junction, but I for international travel I suspect they have to stop in Denver or SLC.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Having to be around water like you've specified...well, we got some reservoirs, we got some rivers...we got lots and lots of dryland too! Yup, mostly dry.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You know they're complaining about the same $hit in Bozeman, right? Except then, you'd be on the *receiving* end of it.
    I have family there, my brother has been there since 87 and knows about everyone in town, so I would be welcomed with open arms, every time I visit I get asked "well why don't you just move up here then"..

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I have family there, my brother has been there since 87 and knows about everyone in town, so I would be welcomed with open arms, every time I visit I get asked "well why don't you just move up here then"..
    Naw - the worst b1tchers would be the Californians that have been there since 2004.

mtbr member
    They miscounted: 47 is listed twice, as San Juan Mtns., and La Garita Hills. I contacted them about the error. An unpaid intern probably made that mistake.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Naw - the worst b1tchers would be the Californians that have been there since 2004.
    hahahah, I have listened to my bro b1tch about them since 89... LOL..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast