Go make a difference

Considering a move west

Hi gang,
    Just putting some feelers out to get some info and wanted to get some first hand feedback from you. My fiance and I are talking about a move to CO and are trying to figure out the best places for us to look. Here are the search criteria:
    1. Within 2 hours of major airport (so Denver in this case)
    2. Must have excellent mtn biking, whitewater (for rafting, canoeing / kayaking and river boarding), flatwater paddling spots for those easy days, hiking, and access to climbing (last of the priorities).
    3. Reasonably priced real estate, schools not an issue -- it's just us and the dogs!
    4. Front Range or Western Slope doesn't matter as long as it's within a couple hours of the airport (needed because of the international adventure tourism trips I run).

We're not looking for fancy, high-priced, snobby neighborhoods / towns. Just someplace a little crunchy with good people and a good local scene (food, music, stuff to do on a Friday night besides a movie).

Thanks for your feedback!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Which way? Uphill.
    That sticky thread right at the top of the forum about moving to CO might help you out.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to check out the sticky above. We've gone over these questions countless times. You're more likely to get responses if you have very specific questions which take your previous research into account.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker View Post
    Hi gang,
    Just putting some feelers out to get some info and wanted to get some first hand feedback from you. My fiance and I are talking about a move to CO and are trying to figure out the best places for us to look. Here are the search criteria:
    1. Within 2 hours of major airport (so Denver in this case)
    2. Must have excellent mtn biking, whitewater (for rafting, canoeing / kayaking and river boarding), flatwater paddling spots for those easy days, hiking, and access to climbing (last of the priorities).
    3. Reasonably priced real estate, schools not an issue -- it's just us and the dogs!
    4. Front Range or Western Slope doesn't matter as long as it's within a couple hours of the airport (needed because of the international adventure tourism trips I run).

We're not looking for fancy, high-priced, snobby neighborhoods / towns. Just someplace a little crunchy with good people and a good local scene (food, music, stuff to do on a Friday night besides a movie).

Thanks for your feedback!
    We have no idea what this means to you.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Oh - and Utah's nice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Colorado isn't what it was ten years ago, try Montana or Utah. It's a cluster and it turning into the California of the rockies. Over priced, over populated and horrible traffic.
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by meat-market View Post
    Colorado isn't what it was ten years ago, try Montana or Utah. It's a cluster and it turning into the California of the rockies. Over priced, over populated and horrible traffic.
    that's just the front range...the western slope is still uncrowded, clean air, no traffic and the weekend warriors from the city never make it this far into the mountains usually.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wait.

We were saying this in 1997 too.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    TomP FTMFW!

Team Velveeta™
    ...4. Front Range or Western Slope doesn't matter as long as it's within a couple hours of the airport (needed because of the international adventure tourism trips I run)...
    FYI, the only western slope communities that would be within 2 hours of DIA would be Winter Park and Summit County (Silverthorne, Breckenridge, Frisco).

The Western Slope is defined as the part of Colorado west of the Continental Divide. It's not everything west of the Front Range.

For example: Buena Vista is a place that more or less meets your requirements, but is not Western Slope. It's in the Arkansas Valley, and the Arkansas flows east toward the Mississippi.

This is a pet peeve of mine. MTBr actually enforces it. The fact that it partitions Colorado into Front Range and Western Slope excludes vast portions of Colorado. Salida is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. Buffalo Creek is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. By some peoples' definitions Pueblo is not Front Range, by others it is. But it is certainly not Western Slope. Lake City is Western Slope, Creede is not.

Another peeve of mine is calling all the mountains on the western boundary of the upper Arkansas Valley "The Collegiate Peaks" or worse yet "The Collegiate Range". It's the Sawatch Range. The Collegiates are a cluster of mountains in the Sawatch, west and northwest of Buena Vista. There is no University of Antero, Tabeguache College, or Shavano Institute of Technology. Those are Ute Indian names, as the word Sawatch is a Ute Indian word. Nor is Elbert or Massive a name associated with the Ivy League.

OK, enough puffing and ranting for a while.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Salida is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. Buffalo Creek is neither Front Range nor Western Slope.
    Salidistan? Salidaslovakia? Salidiswana? Salidgolia?

.....Saliderica or Saliderado!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Oh - and Utah's nice.

mtbr member
    Physiographic Provinces of Colorado:

Major Topographic Features in Colorado:

1 Uinta Mountains
    2 Yampa Plateau
    3 Danforth Hills
    4 Williams Fork Mountains
    5 Elkhead Mountains
    6 Park Range
    7 Independence Mountain
    8 Rabbit Ears Range
    9 Medicine Bow Mountains
    10 Never Summer Mountains
    11 Front Range
    12 Williams Fork Mountains
    13 Gore Range
    14 King Mountain
    15 Castle Peak
    16 White River Plateau
    17 Flat Top Mountains
    18 Grand Hogback
    19 Roan Plateau
    20 Book Cliffs
    21 Uncompahgre Plateau
    22 Battlement Mesa
    23 Grand Mesa
    24 West Elk Mountains
    25 Ruby Range
    26 Elk Mountains
    27 Basalt Mountain
    28 Red Table Mountain
    29 Hardscrabble Mountain
    30 Sawatch Range
    31 Ten Mile Range
    32 Mosquito Range
    33 Arkansas Hills
    34 Waugh Mountain
    35 Platte River Mountains
    36 Kenosha Mountains
    37 Tarryall Mountains
    38 Rampart Range
    39 Pikes Peak Massif
    40 Wet Mountains
    41 Raton Mesa (Fisher Mesa)
    42 Raton Mesa (Barela Mesa)
    43 Spanish Peaks
    44 Sangre de Cristo Range
    45 San Luis Hills
    46 Cochetopa Hills
    47 San Juan Mountains
    47 La Garita Hills
    48 La Garita Mountains
    49 Sawtooth Mountain
    50 Grenadier Range
    51 Needle Mountains
    52 San Miguel Mountains
    53 Rico Mountains
    54 La Plata Mountains
    55 Hogback Monocline
    56 Mesa Verde
    57 Sleeping Ute Mountain

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    <snip>
    They totally located the Grenadier Range in the wrong spot...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

You really didn't see that glaringly bold sticky at the top of this forum?

Please stay in Georgia. We have no tolerance for rednecks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wait.

We were saying this in 1997 too.

right?

I just spent three years in Summit county and moved back to Westminster.. Summit county is just, yeah.. Great place to visit.. But to live, not so much. The amount of traffic we get in the winter is just retarded at this point, and there is no plans on expanding roads to accommodate the influx of retards... If I had my way and weren't so deeply rooted in CO, I would high tail it to Bozeman Montana with the quickness...
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    This is a pet peeve of mine. MTBr actually enforces it. The fact that it partitions Colorado into Front Range and Western Slope excludes vast portions of Colorado. Salida is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. Buffalo Creek is neither Front Range nor Western Slope. By some peoples' definitions Pueblo is not Front Range, by others it is. But it is certainly not Western Slope. Lake City is Western Slope, Creede is not.

Another peeve of mine is calling all the mountains on the western boundary of the upper Arkansas Valley "The Collegiate Peaks" or worse yet "The Collegiate Range". It's the Sawatch Range. The Collegiates are a cluster of mountains in the Sawatch, west and northwest of Buena Vista. There is no University of Antero, Tabeguache College, or Shavano Institute of Technology. Those are Ute Indian names, as the word Sawatch is a Ute Indian word. Nor is Elbert or Massive a name associated with the Ivy League.
    What you describe is actually all part of Texas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    But bigotry is tolerated by some. ^^^^

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    right?

I just spent three years in Summit county and moved back to Westminster.. Summit county is just, yeah.. Great place to visit.. But to live, not so much. The amount of traffic we get in the winter is just retarded at this point, and there is no plans on expanding roads to accommodate the influx of retards... If I had my way and weren't so deeply rooted in CO, I would high tail it to Bozeman Montana with the quickness...
    You know they're complaining about the same $hit in Bozeman, right? Except then, you'd be on the *receiving* end of it.

lucky enough
    Glad you got that off your chest TomP. I too hate it when people are inaccurate.

Folks on the Western slope can fly out of Grand Junction, but I for international travel I suspect they have to stop in Denver or SLC.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Having to be around water like you've specified...well, we got some reservoirs, we got some rivers...we got lots and lots of dryland too! Yup, mostly dry.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You know they're complaining about the same $hit in Bozeman, right? Except then, you'd be on the *receiving* end of it.
    I have family there, my brother has been there since 87 and knows about everyone in town, so I would be welcomed with open arms, every time I visit I get asked "well why don't you just move up here then"..

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I have family there, my brother has been there since 87 and knows about everyone in town, so I would be welcomed with open arms, every time I visit I get asked "well why don't you just move up here then"..
    Naw - the worst b1tchers would be the Californians that have been there since 2004.

mtbr member
    They miscounted: 47 is listed twice, as San Juan Mtns., and La Garita Hills. I contacted them about the error. An unpaid intern probably made that mistake.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Naw - the worst b1tchers would be the Californians that have been there since 2004.
    hahahah, I have listened to my bro b1tch about them since 89... LOL..

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    hahahah, I have listened to my bro b1tch about them since 89... LOL..
    You see? That's what I'm gettin' on about.

COME AND SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM!

banned
    #21 = WIN (if you know how to read a map)

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post

You really didn't see that glaringly bold sticky at the top of this forum?

No actually I didn't becuase it's buried under the 14 other stickies you have there.

And trust me, based on my extensive travel experience throughout our great country, there are Rednecks all over the place and they usually have attitudes like yours.

Thanks for being so helpful.
    Charles Myrick

Go make a difference
    FYI, the only western slope communities that would be within 2 hours of DIA would be Winter Park and Summit County (Silverthorne, Breckenridge, Frisco).

The Western Slope is defined as the part of Colorado west of the Continental Divide. It's not everything west of the Front Range.

For example: Buena Vista is a place that more or less meets your requirements, but is not Western Slope. It's in the Arkansas Valley, and the Arkansas flows east toward the Mississippi.

Thanks for the 411.

I'll check out the STICKY above and see what helpful information has been provided there.
    Charles Myrick

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    No actually I didn't becuase it's buried under the 14 other stickies you have there.

And trust me, based on my extensive travel experience throughout our great country, there are Rednecks all over the place and they usually have attitudes like yours.
    You'll need to complete this short, easy to follow test before we can
    determine if you're a redneck or not.

friend of Apex
    with your mad counting skillz, you should fit right in

I jumped like 14 feet high....
    I musta climbed 14K before lunch...
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Candlestick Maker
    4?

Anyway, I moved (back) here from Ontario and the thing that sucks about Colorado is the lack of water. Especially flatwater adventure opportunities like long distance canoeing and kayaking. But, that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the climbing, biking, and hiking that Colorado has to offer. Somewhere in Summit County might be close to meeting your needs. Costs are a bit higher there and you have to deal with a massive amount of skiing traffic and tourists, but people visit there for a good reason.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Thanks for being so helpful.
    He's always like that, alcoholic dementia has set in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Posting a question like yours on this forum? How you handle the replies is a test.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    But bigotry is tolerated by some. ^^^^
    Define bigotry as used in this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Posting a question like yours on this forum? How you handle the replies is a test.
    Maybe he'll do what you do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    He's always like that, alcoholic dementia has set in.
    What was this about again?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any relation to Gary? If so, I'll rent you my garage apartment. That dude was da bomb!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UMxigKaJ5wM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I like Upslope. Much better!

Heads up Flyboy!!
    K2Biker!

How's my old Van Dessel treating ya? Don't mind the banter here on the Front Range Forums, most of em are good dudes just trying to stir the interwebz pot because their frustrated with their cubicle jobs.

If I was you and my family and job allowed, I'd choose Salida. Its a very cool little mountain valley town that has plenty of most of what your looking for, with good riding and rafting possibilities right from town. Also real good snowboarding and skiing right up on Monarch Pass, about 20 miles or so away in the winter. I'm not sure on rock climbing but it could be close. Only downfall is its about 3-4 hours from DIA but that's not a super haul.

If I absolutely had to choose a "Front Range" town it'd be Lyons. Small, up and coming, big biking community and they know how to party.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yup, all depends on what you like, if i had to choose a non-Front Range town, salida wouldn't make the list, but thats just me (I prefer the Western Slope). All the places have what you need, depends on if you want a little more in your life (music, food etc), some do, some don't. Good luck..
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    K2Biker!

How's my old Van Dessel treating ya? Don't mind the banter here on the Front Range Forums, most of em are good dudes just trying to stir the interwebz pot because their frustrated with their cubicle jobs.

If I was you and my family and job allowed, I'd choose Salida. Its a very cool little mountain valley town that has plenty of most of what your looking for, with good riding and rafting possibilities right from town. Also real good snowboarding and skiing right up on Monarch Pass, about 20 miles or so away in the winter. I'm not sure on rock climbing but it could be close. Only downfall is its about 3-4 hours from DIA but that's not a super haul.

If I absolutely had to choose a "Front Range" town it'd be Lyons. Small, up and coming, big biking community and they know how to party.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    right?

I just spent three years in Summit county and moved back to Westminster.. Summit county is just, yeah.. Great place to visit.. But to live, not so much. The amount of traffic we get in the winter is just retarded at this point, and there is no plans on expanding roads to accommodate the influx of retards...
    Glad you left, one less what do you call them?

Some cherry place like adams county rocks compared to summit I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    Glad you left, one less what do you call them?

Some cherry place like adams county rocks compared to summit I guess.
    You mean retards, yes have fun living among the mouth breathers... Worked for Vail resorts as a mechanic and also Copper mtn. I don't know how some of the RETARDS manage to even keep a drivers license, let alone a job...

mtbr member
    Colorado is a great place to work and live but based on your criteria, have you considered Portland OR? They've got more water to work with out there. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    like whoa dude I got in 100 days last year make 9 bucks an hour and live with 8 dudes in a 2 bedroom condo, and I am hammered every night and reek of stale urine. I just cant understand why I cant find a girl in summit county... Yeah buddy you can have that all day and night!! LMAO!!!

slow
    Fort Collins might be a place to look. We have:
    Whitewater: Poudre River
    Flatwater: Horsetooth Reservoir
    Climbing: Rotary Park . Horsetooth Reservoir
    Mountain Biking: Lots from town and more within an hour or 2 drive.
    Hiking: close to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and above mentioned mtn biking trails.
    DIA: 1 hour+-
    Good bike culture, laid back, real estate is not cheap, but more affordable than Summit County. More to do on weekends than a small mountain town.

I spent 7 years in Summit County and loved it. Great riding and skiing, but the mountain biking season was way too short for me. Real estate prices are steep, too. I built a house near Keystone and sold it 20 months later, doubling my money. That same house has more than doubled again since then.

mtbr member
    As the Goat said don't let this place get to you; it is the internet after all.

Reality is what you are looking for so is everyone else who is moving here and my guess is those locations are going to be much more expensive than what you are used to in Atlanta.

I have lived in Golden for 7 years now and love it...plenty of biking options right from town, kayak park, rock climbing, great rec center, cruiser rides, great small town community feel and easy access to Denver, Boulder, and the I-70 corridor.

Reality is Golden is expensive....I would think the median home price has to be close to $400K now and days on market even in this economy is under 30 days. Both rentals and homes for sale go fast here and are picking up all over the Front Range.

You will need to be prepared for a higher cost of living here if you want to be close to trails. There are cheaper areas WheatRidge, Arvada, Lakewood (even there is getting more expensive), but those are suburbs and do not have a town like Golden, Boulder, Lyons, and some of the other places mentioned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The need for water all around is strong in some. Me, I don't swim so the less water the better. I was at an overlook in Island in The Sky (outside Moab) marveling at the view. A guy with some eastern state plates drove up and stood next to me.

"Pretty amazing view" I said to him. He was frowning. "Where's the water? I don't like it here, too dry" was what he said. Got in his car and left.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Hiking: close to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and above mentioned mtn biking trails.
    Fires: Hewlett Gulch and now High Park!
    fify

Thread Terrorist
    Sounds like Salida is your goal. The rest of the state doesn't have reasonable real-estate prices.

As for these outsider haters, don't listen to them. This place is a melting pot of stupid immigrants; Michigan, Kansas, Nebraska, California, Mass., Illinois, Texas, all those crappy states that we all moved out of. Drunkenbikesnob is from Texas, he's still bitter about everything, including the recent republican candidates.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you forgot Ohioans, they are like mexican border crossers.. you let one in all and of the sudden their brother, cousin and uncle show up....

Team Velveeta™

Hoosiers

you forgot Ohioans, they are like mexican border crossers.. you let one in all and of the sudden their brother, cousin and uncle show up....
    Hoosiers. God save me from the Hoosiers...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Don't get me started on the Ohioans... I'm married to one.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Don't get me started on the Ohioans... I'm married to one.
    +1 to that, same here

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We have a saying about Ohio, it's a great place to be from.. FAR from...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We have a saying about Ohio, it's a great place to be from.. FAR from...
    MI is the same. Nice place to visit... wouldn't wanna live there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    speaking of, I fly to Detroit nxt friday for a week of work.. happy, happy, joy, joy...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    speaking of, I fly to Detroit nxt friday for a week of work.. happy, happy, joy, joy...
    Wow. That's a week that will be full of win.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Doing our pilot show for the big debut of the Dodge Dart, then its off to NYC, Boston, Syracuse, Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, North Chicago, South Chicago, and last but not least, the mother land, Cincinnati.. Busy summer..

mtbr member
    We're not looking for fancy, high-priced, snobby neighborhoods / towns. Just someplace a little crunchy with good people and a good local scene (food, music, stuff to do on a Friday night besides a movie)...
    Nederland or Idaho Springs/Fall River area come to mind.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Doing our pilot show for the big debut of the Dodge Dart, then its off to NYC, Boston, Syracuse, Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, North Chicago, South Chicago, and last but not least, the mother land, Cincinnati.. Busy summer..
    All that time would be better spent here

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh trust me, I have the last ten days of every month off, I will def get in some quality bike time, both pedal and two stroke powered...

Thread Terrorist
    ohioans -> Corn holers
    Michiganians -> Troll holers
    chicagans -> el-holers
    texans -> lone-holers
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cornhole rules!!!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    ohioans -> Corn holers
    Michiganians -> Troll holers
    chicagans -> el-holers
    texans -> lone-holers
    Jeezus. Where does that leave Kansans?

Team Velveeta™
    Jeezus. Where does that leave Kansans?
    Kansan, Nebraskan, Oklahoman == G0d@mn Dirthead Flatlander.

(Says the Troll Holer.)

Apr 2012
    I'm a fifth-generation fully-inbred Front Ranger. There's a street in Castle Rock named after my great great grandparents. Unless you're descended from Colorow or Black Kettle or something you all need to get off my lawn. Now git, ya hear?? Jus' git!! [shotgun blast into the air]

lucky enough
    How about Chief Niwot descendents? I'm not one but there may be some around.
    What's the word on Californians?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Good bike culture, laid back, real estate is not cheap, but more affordable than Summit County. More to do on weekends than a small mountain town.

I spent 7 years in Summit County and loved it. Great riding and skiing, but the mountain biking season was way too short for me. Real estate prices are steep, too. I built a house near Keystone and sold it 20 months later, doubling my money. That same house has more than doubled again since then.
    I second this one, moved to Fort Collins a little over 3 years ago & love it. In my neighborhood you can get a nice sized house for the low $200's, 10 minute bike ride to Horsestooth with tons of riding options. & as mentioned, plenty of aqua to be had. 1+ hour drive to the DIA. 2+ hours to most resorts. Downtown is really cool with lots of restaurants, bars, etc..

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
    I'm a fifth-generation fully-inbred Front Ranger. There's a street in Castle Rock named after my great great grandparents. Unless you're descended from Colorow or Black Kettle or something you all need to get off my lawn.
    That's cool.

I would have been fourth generation native, but a year or so before I was born my parents decided they needed to move to the midwest where they could make a decent living. My two older sisters are 4th gen, but they couldn't care less (one of them actually chooses to live in Florida for pete's sake!)

My great-great grandfather came to the lower Ark Valley (Las Animas) after he served in Gen. Robert E. Lee's color guard during the civil war.

I'm one of those "not a native but I got here as soon as I could" types. Left the midwest when I was 18 and haven't spent a month's worth of days there in the 30 years since I left. It gives me hives (well, they're mosquito bites but they look alot like hives).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Is it pronounced "Co-lo-ra-do" or "Co-lo-rah-do"? Your answer will illustrate if you're a "native" or a transplant. I've been here since...and I pronounce it...

Team Velveeta™
    Is it pronounced "Co-lo-ra-do" or "Co-lo-rah-do"? Your answer will illustrate if you're a "native" or a transplant. I've been here since...and I pronounce it...
    My dad kind of skips the L and makes it three syllables rather than 4. E.G. "Corrada Springs"

(also of course Pee-ebluh. And Maysaverd.)

mtbr member
    Is it pronounced "kah-luh-RA-doe" or "kah-luh-RAH-doe"? Your answer will illustrate if you're a "native" or a transplant. I've been here since...and I pronounce it...
    fixed it for y'all

Apr 2012
    My dad kind of skips the L and makes it three syllables rather than 4. E.G. "Corrada Springs"

(also of course Pee-ebluh. And Maysaverd.)
    Byoona vista.

Born and raised in Cholera Springs. That's what it always sounded like to me. Sometimes it felt like that too I guess.

Apr 2012
    My great-great grandfather came to the lower Ark Valley (Las Animas) after he served in Gen. Robert E. Lee's color guard during the civil war.
    I loves me some Las Animas. It's definitely my favorite of the depressed little towns along the Arkansas. A great spot near there is the Boggs Ranch aka Boggsville, south of town on the Purgatoire (which old-timers knew as 'Picket Wire') and Santa Fe Trail. The Prowers family lived there, and Kit Carson for a few years (I think) before he died. It's a beautiful spot. John Prowers was married to One Eye's daughter. One Eye being one of the most awesome people to ever live around here, I give Prowers props by association. When the militia marched on the camp at Sand Creek in 1864, Chivington put Prowers and his ranch hands under house arrest so they wouldn't spoil the massacre.

It must have been rough being a 'reb' homesteader in Colorado Territory, around so many former Union soldiers and families of deceased Union soldiers.

Team Velveeta™
    I loves me some Las Animas. It's definitely my favorite of the depressed little towns along the Arkansas. A great spot near there is the Boggs Ranch aka Boggsville, south of town on the Purgatoire (which old-timers knew as 'Picket Wire') and Santa Fe Trail. The Prowers family lived there, and Kit Carson for a few years (I think) before he died. It's a beautiful spot. John Prowers was married to One Eye's daughter. One Eye being one of the most awesome people to ever live around here, I give Prowers props by association. When the militia marched on the camp at Sand Creek in 1864, Chivington put Prowers and his ranch hands under house arrest so they wouldn't spoil the massacre.

It must have been rough being a 'reb' homesteader in Colorado Territory, around so many former Union soldiers and families of deceased Union soldiers.
    My Dad was pretty much raised by his aunts and uncles since his dad died after working himself to death during the dustbowl. His mother went to Greeley every summer trying to earn a bonafide teacher's certificate, even though she'd been teaching 12 grades in country schools for a decade when he died. She was left with the farm debt after everything went bad for them during the 30's. They did not declare bankruptcy. She raised two young boys, taught school, and paid down the debt, AND got herself a teaching cert over the course of 5 or six summers in Greeley. Then she died about a year after I was born back in the sixties.

So my "grandmother" was my dad's Aunt Maggie. She would sit in a big chair in Las Animas and smoke one cigarette after another and tell the stories about the old days. She remembered Kit Carson living out his last days in a little cabin in a stand of Cottonwood downstream from town, where the cemetary is now. I remember her telling about how he lived there with two old indian wives.

When she was a little girl they used to play in the ruins of Bent's old fort, they used to find arrowheads to the point where they traded them like we traded marbles when I was a kid. They had a collection of arrowheads and spear points that was amazing.

She remembered William Bent, Charles Bent's younger brother. The county was named for them. Charles became the first territorial governor of New Mexico before statehood. He was scalped and killed by indians in 1846. By the time she was alive, William was an old man.

Her husband, my Uncle Jack was in Nucla, CO during the 20s and loaned money to lots of Uranium prospectors and helped broker an exchange of uranium to Madame Curie. He later served as a radio operator on a crew that supported the Enola Gay.

I used to go listen to them tell their stories back in the 80s when I was a young fool. I wish I had brought a tape recorder. They have both been gone for decades now.

Enough typing for now, time to drink more beer.

mtbr member
    Charles,

Compared to the traffic you're used to in Atl, this place is easy. You're not going to have the same water you're used to, but the biking, hiking, and climbing more than make up for it. Then there's the skiing/snow sports. I really like Lyons a lot, but my job is in DTC so until I can work remote 100% that's not an option. Prices here are all over the map, but will be similar to Roswell, so no big surprise.

Apr 2012
    My Dad was pretty much raised by his aunts and uncles since his dad died after working himself to death during the dustbowl. His mother went to Greeley every summer trying to earn a bonafide teacher's certificate, even though she'd been teaching 12 grades in country schools for a decade when he died. She was left with the farm debt after everything went bad for them during the 30's. They did not declare bankruptcy. She raised two young boys, taught school, and paid down the debt, AND got herself a teaching cert over the course of 5 or six summers in Greeley. Then she died about a year after I was born back in the sixties.
    [lowers shotgun for TomP, honorary Coloradee native]

Sounds a bit like my grandparents. Three of the four were teachers. My grandpa, grandson of Douglas County pioneer ranchers, became principal at Swink during the depression (speaking of depressed little towns along the lower Arkansas). My grandma taught at Denver's Manual High soon after it opened, and at South High, then at Wasson in Cholera Springs. Before my grandpa died of polio in the 40s they lived on a ranch on Monument Creek on the present site of the Air Force Academy, and he drove all over the state for teaching jobs and such. (He was born in Greenland, in one of those little white houses that is still standing and visible from I-25, when my great grandpa ran the farm there in the early 1900s.) My other grandma put herself through school (after grandpa the drunken jazz musician either ran away or got kicked out) while raising four kids and taught at Bates Elementary in the Springs. My mom and dad were both teachers too, my dad taught at Cheyenne Mountain High School (where the mtb trails begin) for over 40 years.

So my "grandmother" was my dad's Aunt Maggie. She would sit in a big chair in Las Animas and smoke one cigarette after another and tell the stories about the old days. She remembered Kit Carson living out his last days in a little cabin in a stand of Cottonwood downstream from town, where the cemetary is now. I remember her telling about how he lived there with two old indian wives.

When she was a little girl they used to play in the ruins of Bent's old fort, they used to find arrowheads to the point where they traded them like we traded marbles when I was a kid. They had a collection of arrowheads and spear points that was amazing.

She remembered William Bent, Charles Bent's younger brother. The county was named for them. Charles became the first territorial governor of New Mexico before statehood. He was scalped and killed by indians in 1846. By the time she was alive, William was an old man. ...
    The Taos Uprising! Good times.

That's some pre-Gold Rush old skool right there.. Notwithstanding the Taos Uprising, those decades prior to the Gold Rush were marked by relative harmony between the Plains Indians and the settlers and traders of the lower Arkansas. There was a lot of intermarrying among Indians and whites. Then in 1864 it all went to hell, by design. People like Chivington and Gov. Evans (whose mtn. should be named Bob Cook Mountain) were disgusted by the "squaw men" and half-breeds of the lower Arkansas. When the troops marched on Sand Creek it wasn't just about killing Indians, but about killing a whole way of life in which Indians and whites could live together. And, from that regard, the campaign was a rousing success.

It makes a very cool trip to see Bent's Old Fort and Boggsville. There is even some fun mountain bikin down there, in Picketwire Canyon, although it's not difficult or singletrack.

Team Velveeta™

My dad always calls that picketwire country "the cedars"

...It makes a very cool trip to see Bent's Old Fort and Boggsville. There is even some fun mountain bikin down there, in Picketwire Canyon, although it's not difficult or singletrack.
    You might be interested in the stories and pictures I put on my blog from an exploring trip down in the Picketwire. Executive summary: there's quite a bit to see if you keep traveling upriver from what's been set up as a public visitor's area:

Team Velveeta™: Exploration Begins

Team Velveeta™: Up the Canyon

Team Velveeta™: On and Beyond

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Stay in Atlanta...Colorado sucks in comparison

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaskidawg View Post
    LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaskidawg View Post
    Very LOL. I took three years of ATL's Finest, that was enough. Other than boating on beautiful Lake Lanier, I was happy to leave. I find Co and Utah to be some of coolest places I've ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (sucks)

Apr 2012
    You might be interested in the stories and pictures I put on my blog from an exploring trip down in the Picketwire. Executive summary: there's quite a bit to see if you keep traveling upriver from what's been set up as a public visitor's area:

Team Velveeta™: Exploration Begins

Team Velveeta™: Up the Canyon

Team Velveeta™: On and Beyond
    Cool.. Yeah, I love that place. I had heard you could go farther up the canyon but didn't when I was there. Saw the tracks, which are very cool. Love the old cemetery.

The commenter to your story is wrong -- bikes are allowed there, it is all public land where you were, no need to ask permission. No motor vehicles.

Have you ever been to Picture Canyon, farther east?

Members who have read this thread: 1