@2whlfun
    Aug 2008

connection suggestions

Hey, I'm thinking about riding Heil, Picture Rock and Hall first thing in the morning. Is it possible to link them all with no pavement?

What would you suggest is the best order to ride them and how are they connected?

Thanks!

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman
    Hey, I'm thinking about riding Heil, Picture Rock and Hall first thing in the morning. Is it possible to link them all with no pavement?

What would you suggest is the best order to ride them and how are they connected?

Thanks!
    There's pavement between Hall and PR.

The guy that posts from Redstone in Lyons can fill in the directions. When I rode it with a local, I had no idea where I was going.

mtbr member
    I did it the first weekend picture rock was open. It was around 30 miles.

Parked at heil. Rode up Heil, to turkey trot, did picture rock. Rode to hall Ranch via pavement then did the first part of Hall to Nelson loop turned around and rode back to Heil.

Erik

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    I did it the first weekend picture rock was open. It was around 30 miles.

Parked at heil. Rode up Heil, to turkey trot, did picture rock. Rode to hall Ranch via pavement then did the first part of Hall to Nelson loop turned around and rode back to Heil.

Erik
    This sounds like the way I was hoping to work it out, thanks!

How many miles am I looking at from Picture Rock to Hall on pavement?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    From the Heil Parking lot: Up the road, then trail, make a right at the first intersection with Ponderosa Loop, another right onto Wild Turkey, and another right onto Picture Rock. Ride that to the parking lot on Red Gulch Rd and turn right. Turn right again on Old St. Vrain Rd. then a left on S. St. Vrain (7) to the Hall parking lot. Reverse the directions for the return.

You can go either direction on the Heil loop and get to Wild Turkey and Picture Rock, but the above method is the most direct. Also, once you're at the bottom, you could turn left on Old St. Vrain, then right on 7 to get to the Hall lot, but it's a bit longer on the road that way. (~1 mile on the road in either direction.)

I used to always go clockwise on the loop on top of Hall if I was only doing it once, but my preference has shifted.

Chronic 1st-timer
    1.5 miles, +/-
    Trailwrecker at large

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    Ride that (Picture Rock) to the parking lot on Red Gulch Rd and turn right. Turn right again on Old St. Vrain Rd. then a left on S. St. Vrain (7) to the Hall parking lot. Reverse the directions for the return.
    I'd recommend coming off the trail, right onto Red Gulch Rd, then left at Old S St Vrain Rd. Go up that 1.5 miles or so and it T's into Hwy 7. Turn right (downhill) on Hwy 7 and Hall will be on your left in about 1/4 mile.

This way, you get more rural road and less no shoulder highway. It adds about 5 minutes max. Have fun!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Exactly 1.5 miles on the pavement. Real easy to get to from picture rock to hall.

Erik

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    awesome awesome awesome! Thanks for everyone's connection info. You all made the ride happen seamlessly without the usual winging it, exploration, hope I figure it out deal.

We ended up riding 20 miles off road and then climbed on the road bikes for 40 miles with a scenic cruise past Carter Lake! It was a GOOD DAY!

Thanks again,
    Andy...

Members who have read this thread: 0