mtbr member

Connecting trails at Golden Gate

I'd like to go for a longer 30 mile ride at Golden Gate and I hear there is a way to connect all the trails, I know Mtn Lion is done better clockwise but has anyone connected them all for a longer ride? If so, where did you start and what trails did you do?
    Thanks!

Re: Connecting trails at Golden Gate

In the past ive started at panorama point, taken elk southeast/counter clockwise to mule deer, then snowshoe hare ccw to buffalo to mountain lion clockwise, then back up buffalo, snowshoe hare to the north and mule deer back to panorama point.

Only downside is that it's a legit climb from the bottom of mountain lion all the way back to the car. So if you want to be smiling a little more when you leave, I'd probably start at a lot down to the southeast, go up buffalo, snowshoe hare... Etc first to panorama point... Then everything else as before.

But really I don't think you can go wrong, so long as you hit mtn lion clockwise

Not just famous; infamous
    Looks like you park at Nott Creek and do:
    Up Mtn Lion to Buffalo to Snowshoe Hare to Mule Deer. Take Mule Deer up to Panorama Point and then all the way around back to Snowshoe Hare, down Snowshoe Hare to Buffalo, down Buffalo and finish the rest of Mtn Lion. It's 21.5 miles according to the park map, but I doubt you'll care at that point since that's some pretty hard climbing. If you have the need to get an honest 30 miles in, you could ride a second Mtn Lion loop and throw some Burro trail in.

Link to park map in case you don't have one.

A while back I rode just from Panorama down Raccoon and Buffalo and I think it was about 2000 ft of climbing in less than 10 miles.

If you do this, post the GPS track, I'd love to see the total stats for that ride!

Edit: replaced Raccoon with Snowshoe Hare. Just noticed I misread the legend. Doh!
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 07-01-2013 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    park at nott creek, up mnt lion>buffalo>snowshoe hare clockwise, connect to mule deer clockwise all the way and back to hidden valley and finish with mnt lion loop clockwise. on your return you can also do snowshoe hare ccw instead of cw to add some more distance. it have done this some 4 years ago, dont think its full 30 miles but it is one hell of a ride. its tough. i just recently tried it again and bailed. . but going to be there for revenge really soon.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I rode this route from White Ranch and have a hair under 40 miles and just under 7k of climbing.

so rough math, take 1,500 from WR lower lot to the top of Drew hill rd and another 700 for Drew Hill on the way out leaving you with somewhere between 4,500 and 5k (?). Dude's 21 miles seems about right taking out the 9ish miles to (or from) GGSP.

mtbr member

tips

I was just giving a range of mileage I certainly don't need to ensure that its 30 miles...I just wanted a longer ride then just a couple hours.
    Thanks everyone, awesome tips!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Snowshoe Hare in either direction is probably my least favorite part of that network but that's nitpicking. LOVE GGSP and rarely having to yield.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just make sure you do *not* climb mule deer from Snowshoe Hare to Panorama. That portion of trail is brutal. Ride mule deer clockwise...

tiny rider
    Here is a .gpx of the loop, about as described above. This is a great ride, particularly in the fall when the leaves are turning. Just don't tell anyone about it or it might get crowded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
    Here is a .gpx of the loop, about as described above. This is a great ride, particularly in the fall when the leaves are turning. Just don't tell anyone about it or it might get crowded.
    I couldn't open the link? Did I do something wrong?

tiny rider
    It looks to be working from my end (both from the client machine I'm using and the web server logs). You might try right-clicking and choosing save-as, or the equivalent operation in your browser of choice. Otherwise, I can email you the file if you send me an email.

This track includes a bit extra at Kriley Pond and maybe a couple other minor spurs by mistake. Overall, though, it's ~21 miles and 4k elevation. Some of it is well earned. I really like Snowshoe Hare, btw, even if I usually end up walking a bit.