mtbr member
    May 2012

Conifer - The Good, Bad, Ugly

My wife and I both lived in the Bailey area before but that was in the 90's. We are now looking at the Conifer area after living on the eastern plains and getting bent raped by Adams County for the last 15 years. Not sure too much has changed in those areas but what's the low down on the down low up there now? Schools seem to be good still, 285 looks much nicer, sweet Safeway... What else?

Thanks for the info ahead of time.

Trav

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    We moved down to Morrison from Bailey 2 years ago. Aside from 285 being wider and nicer, and the new Safeway and King Soopers, I don't think much has changed from when you lived in Bailey.

Any time it would snow for my commute into Golden, the roads were always pretty good right up til I hit C-470 then it went to hell quick. Might be a bit more expensive then in the 90's as far as house prices go, but I'm sure you're aware. Good luck!

Thread Terrorist
    I think the area has improved. We lived just north of Conifer for a few years. Whereas we loved the mountain life, it seemed that all we did was drive; not what we wanted in a mountain community. The front range areas near the mountains offered more bang for the buck, especially getting more hours back from commuting.
    There are pockets where the prices went up, and some went down based on the gas price inflation a few years back.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

The Notorious S.L.O
    I live on Hwy 73, south of North Turkey Creek, Evergreen address but much closer to Conifer, granted this is the only place we have lived in CO, so not much to compare to.
    The Public Schools are pretty good, we have two that have graduated and doing well in college with their JeffCo Pub School foundation.
    The new Safeway and King Soopers center have brought some improvement in what was a very limited shopping and dining experiences, but there is a ton of empty retail space and we are losing businesses on a routine basis, (lost Chiliís, Heidiís, Baskin Robbins and several locally owned biz and restaurants), as covering the rents seems to be an issue.
    We still drive down the hill quite a bit, shopping, movies and other restaurants, but we like it up here, granted it does not hurt that I work from home full time.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    I live on Hwy 73, south of North Turkey Creek, Evergreen address but much closer to Conifer, granted this is the only place we have lived in CO, so not much to compare to.
    The Public Schools are pretty good, we have two that have graduated and doing well in college with their JeffCo Pub School foundation.
    The new Safeway and King Soopers center have brought some improvement in what was a very limited shopping and dining experiences, but there is a ton of empty retail space and we are losing businesses on a routine basis, (lost Chiliís, Heidiís, Baskin Robbins and several locally owned biz and restaurants), as covering the rents seems to be an issue.
    We still drive down the hill quite a bit, shopping, movies and other restaurants, but we like it up here, granted it does not hurt that I work from home full time.
    Wow, not far from me. I am just below Meyers Ranch.

My wife and I really enjoy it where we are (Technically Morrison, but we are closer to everything Conifer). Friendly people. Shopping has what the wife and I need. Big R and Alco help out in that regard. We don't really eat out so don't know how that has changed. It's a great location for us, but I work in Castle Rock and the wife works in Idaho Springs. We will have to drive no matter what. I do really enjoy being close to many trails! I am a bit nervous as there seems to be a lot of homes for sale up there as of late. I keep seeing more and more signs.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    Wow, not far from me. I am just below Meyers Ranch.

My wife and I really enjoy it where we are (Technically Morrison, but we are closer to everything Conifer). Friendly people. Shopping has what the wife and I need. Big R and Alco help out in that regard. We don't really eat out so don't know how that has changed. It's a great location for us, but I work in Castle Rock and the wife works in Idaho Springs. We will have to drive no matter what. I do really enjoy being close to many trails! I am a bit nervous as there seems to be a lot of homes for sale up there as of late. I keep seeing more and more signs.
    It's spring. That's house-sellin' time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    It's spring. That's house-sellin' time.
    With that said, *all* foothills real estate is taking a hit from several factors. The primary one is fear of fires. The last couple of years have shown that regardless of what kind of house you have, or what kind of mitigation you do, your house will burn in a big fire. Second is the price of gasoline. Living closer to where you work is much more of a priority when gas is $4+ a gallon. Another factor is the simple wimp factor. Every year that passes, fewer people entering the housing market grew up in a rural area, far from conveniences. I have lived in the foothills for over 25 years, and each year the population gets a little older. Younger people would rather live in a suburb or city, because that is where they are comfortable. When people sell their houses, it seems often as not that someone 40+ ends up buying the house.

On top of all this is the fact that most houses in the foothills are aging. It is so damn expensive to build in the hills anymore that new houses are astronomical. Some people just want a new house, period, and there aren't that many new houses in the foothills under $500K. Unless the lot is cheap, i.e. north facing and no views, it is almost impossible to build a decent house in the hills for under half mil by the time you deal with cost of the lot, well/septic/electric, site prep/driveway/landscaping/fire mitigation, and meeting all of the ridiculous codes they lay on you now.