Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cone's alternating use = no mtn bikes on odd weekend days, hikers always welcome

I rode the Cone last Saturday. As even weekend day, it was supposed to be a mountain bike only day. Certainly, there were way more bikes than hikers (where isn't that the case?) but I did see a number of hikers including one group that a JeffCo Ranger and I passed at the same time (going opposite directions). The ranger didn't say anything to the hikers. I very much doubt a biker would get the same treatment if he or she were riding the cone on the wrong day.

Now, I realize that this is a petty gripe but shouldn't they just say that mountain bikes can't use Centinenial Cone on odd weekend days rather than going through the pretense of an alternate use schedule? (or better yet- just scrap the schedule)

As long as the schedule policy is in place, I'll continue to honor it but I wish JeffCo would just acknowledge it's an anti-cyclist policy rather than a "fair shared use" policy.

mtbr member

nothing petty about it...

i suggest you cut & paste:

trock@jeffco.us

i'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    I rode the Cone last Saturday. As even weekend day, it was supposed to be a mountain bike only day. Certainly, there were way more bikes than hikers (where isn't that the case?) but I did see a number of hikers including one group that a JeffCo Ranger and I passed at the same time (going opposite directions). The ranger didn't say anything to the hikers. I very much doubt a biker would get the same treatment if he or she were riding the cone on the wrong day.

Now, I realize that this is a petty gripe but shouldn't they just say that mountain bikes can't use Centinenial Cone on odd weekend days rather than going through the pretense of an alternate use schedule? (or better yet- just scrap the schedule)

As long as the schedule policy is in place, I'll continue to honor it but I wish JeffCo would just acknowledge it's an anti-cyclist policy rather than a "fair shared use" policy.
    This has been noted before and I have left my comments at JCOS. Personally, I don't care if the hikers are there on the bike only day. I just ask that we are not responsible if they get run down. I have told hikers very politely that it was a bike only day. I also said I really don't care if they want to continue, but I warned them that bikers will not be expecting them as they round the corner at 35 mph. They thanked me and left the trail.

mtbr member
    Its too bad we all can't just get along.
    i want to breathe
    follow the scene
    i want to taste
    everyone i see
    i want to run when i'm up high
    i want to run into the sea
    i only want life to be...
    i just want to be...
    i will feel alive as long as i am free...

Rolling
    I have no problem with it. Look at it this way. Instead of say 40 hikers, you might see 4. That is a positive aspect. Sure they ignore the rules, but hikers are not in touch with rules like this the way cyclists are because they are used to having all trails open, all the time. It's a new and startling concept to some people. I think it's an honest mistake, and I for one won't get my undies in a knot over it.

Personally, I would rather have solutions like this rather than prohibition of bikes completely on trails, which was the solution in the past. IE: Boulder mountain parks.

Big Boned
    It's possible the hikers you passed were actually the trail crew. They've been out there for the past few weeks fixing the ruts caused by skidiots on the switchies. If the Ranger didn't say anything, maybe that's because they were supposed to be there? The trail crew I saw looked like ordinary hikers until I saw them on my return trip working on the switchbacks. There were 6 or 7 of them, in two different groups.

Just one possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs

Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Just one possibility.
    ...perhaps, though i've also seen the lone hiker(s), or couples, meandering about on the "wrong" day.

better them than us i suppose.

contains quinine
    It's easy to tell what days bikers are allowed: The highway 6 trailhead is jammed on biker days, empty on others...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Maybe JeffCO can have a SS day too on this trail. The gearies just get in the way. Last Saturday I must have passed 20 gearies walking their bikes up the switchbacks. I'd rather have a few hikers on the trail than gearies.

No?
    i want to breathe
    follow the scene
    i want to taste
    everyone i see
    i just want to be...

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by zutmon
    Maybe JeffCO can have a SS day too on this trail. The gearies just get in the way. Last Saturday I must have passed 20 gearies walking their bikes up the switchbacks. I'd rather have a few hikers on the trail than gearies.

LOL.

I didn't realize SS peeps could be infected by haughtiness to this degree.

Following this trend, maybe Apex should be closed to all but shuttle monkeys on Wednesdays.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    LOL.

I didn't realize SS peeps could be infected by haughtiness to this degree.

Following this trend, maybe Apex should be closed to all but shuttle monkeys on Wednesdays.
    Does not surprise me. SS'ers are superior, just ask one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber
    Of course...I'm just kidding. Honestly I have fun on the trails and enjoy seeing hikers, bikers, etc out enjoying the trails. No time to ***** when there's riding to do, eh.
    i want to breathe
    follow the scene
    i want to taste
    everyone i see
    i just want to be...

Your retarded

No?
    I totally see your point. I think that maybe JeffCO can have a levitation day too on this trail. The gearies and SSers just get in the way. Last Saturday I must have levitated passed 40 gearies and SSers walking their bikes up the switchbacks. I'd rather have a few hikers on the trail than gearies and SSer, but fellow levitators would be ideal.

A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i suggest you cut & paste:

trock@jeffco.us

i'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.
    Are you sure about that? It's been my experience that Jeffco really doesn't care. I have been to Centennial Cone on mtb. days and seen hikers, and personally don't mind. I'm a big advocate of multi-use, and this alternate days on the weekends thing sucks, and I wish COMBA would do more to get it overturned. Let's have Jeffco be at the very least consistent on trail use in their county. I really doubt we will ever see a Jeffco Park Ranger issuing warnings or tickets to hikers at CC on biker days, but find it completely in the realm of possibility that they'd give bikers tickets on hiker days.

A side note to CC--I love the park, it's huge, and a blast to grind out...but can't they put in a couple more side trails, ala Mt. Falcon?

R

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber
    Ohh, did some mean old singlespeeder make you feel inadequate?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    keep in mind, this is a trial experiment-- which means in theory they do care about what's happening up there. if it is brought to their attention that one user group consistently isn't playing by the rules, then perhaps they will reconsider those rules when making said rules for other parks.

there is no overturning to be done at this point... we've got to let the experiment run its course so they can draw conclusions based on (i'm guessing) observation as well as user feedback. playing devil's advocate, if they get the perception that, "hey you know the MTBers don't really seem to care if the hikers are there on off days but the hikers really like having the trail to themselves on on days", we might just see more of this policy elsewhere.

$.02

Quote Originally Posted by russman
    Are you sure about that? It's been my experience that Jeffco really doesn't care. I have been to Centennial Cone on mtb. days and seen hikers, and personally don't mind. I'm a big advocate of multi-use, and this alternate days on the weekends thing sucks, and I wish COMBA would do more to get it overturned. Let's have Jeffco be at the very least consistent on trail use in their county. I really doubt we will ever see a Jeffco Park Ranger issuing warnings or tickets to hikers at CC on biker days, but find it completely in the realm of possibility that they'd give bikers tickets on hiker days.
    -

skillz to pay billz
    Last Saturday I must have passed 20 gearies walking their bikes up the switchbacks.
    This is close to impossible. Was it a crew of grammer school kids on a hike-a-bike field trip?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I totally see your point. I think that maybe JeffCO can have a levitation day too on this trail. The gearies and SSers just get in the way. Last Saturday I must have levitated passed 40 gearies and SSers walking their bikes up the switchbacks. I'd rather have a few hikers on the trail than gearies and SSer, but fellow levitators would be ideal.

I like your style.
    i want to breathe
    follow the scene
    i want to taste
    everyone i see
    i just want to be...

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Nickle is the new Criss Angel.
    Sweeeeet!

rubber side down
    It was my impression that the current policy was put in place when the park was still being planned (5 or 6 years ago--pre-JCOS user input groups in current form). This is the first time I've heard that it's an experiment. It certainly doesn't say this on the CC Jeffco website. If it is an experiment, what's the time frame that it's being studied? 1 year, 5 years, ?? I'm not trying to be difficult, or defeatist, but JCOS has indicated either directly or indirectly that it will only take input on trail use from one of the user groups (Dave Cohen's group of 3 people, and Dave is fairly pro-alternate use, if you read stuff in here by him with regard to Apex).

R

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    keep in mind, this is a trial experiment-- which means in theory they do care about what's happening up there. if it is brought to their attention that one user group consistently isn't playing by the rules, then perhaps they will reconsider those rules when making said rules for other parks.

there is no overturning to be done at this point... we've got to let the experiment run its course so they can draw conclusions based on (i'm guessing) observation as well as user feedback. playing devil's advocate, if they get the perception that, "hey you know the MTBers don't really seem to care if the hikers are there on off days but the hikers really like having the trail to themselves on on days", we might just see more of this policy elsewhere.

$.02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    If it is an experiment, what's the time frame that it's being studied? . . . but JCOS has indicated either directly or indirectly that it will only take input on trail use from one of the user groups
    i'll have to check w/ the COMBA policy folks to be sure, but i believe it is a three year study.

as for your other point, the TUTF may be an "official" channel, but anyone is welcome to speak at any of the OSAC meetings during "public comment" and/or submit feedback via that email address which is posted in multiple places on the OS webpages. i especially recommend the former, because then you know the decision-makers are hearing it firsthand, as they are sitting in the room.
    -

Big Boned
    On this subject, does it strike anyone else as strange that, while they try to segregate MTBers and hikers on weekend days, the policy allows equestrians on both days? Seems a little odd to me somehow, as I would think hikers and equestrians would be more compatible, and therefore should be grouped together, rather than allowing horses on bike days, when there are dozens of riders out there.

I ask because I had a scary encounter last year where I came around one of those blind turns at a pretty good pace and encountered a group of three equestrians -- it was on one of those sections where the embankment is very steep below the trail, and one of the horses reared up when I appeared. Luckily the rider controlled it and managed to back it down off the trail safely, but it could have been really ugly -- the riders weren't wearing helmets, and if my timing had been a couple seconds later, one of them could have easily taken a tumble into the rocks, followed by their horse.

I'm normally very deferential to equestrians -- not because I'm particularly fond of them putting huge potholes in the trail or dropping huge piles of crap everywhere, but because I know they have been the catalysts behind trail closures to mountain bikers in the past, so I just prefer to avoid problems. But in this case, I was just riding the trail -- totally in control, riding modestly fast but not reckelessly, not nearly full-blast -- but the nature/design of the trail made it impossible for me to know what was coming around the next corner. When I saw them I hit the brakes, but I was only a few feet away from the lead horse by then, and there was nothing I could have done to avoid the encounter short of riding the brakes all the way down the downhill. Ain't gonna happen.

Of course, I worry about encountering other mountain bikers or hikers on blind turns in the same manner out there, which is why I usually only ride there on weekdays, very very early in the mornings, to avoid all kinds of traffic. But I see the potential for a catastrophic encounter being much higher with a horse than with a hiker/biker because of the X-factor of the horse itself reacting to the sudden appearance of the bike and dumping its rider. Hikers and bikers are a little more predictable. Usually.

So it just seems weird to me that they allow horses there on bike days on the weekends. Kind of asking for trouble, no?
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

skillz to pay billz
    if only the levitators would ride horses, there would no problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    if only the levitators would ride horses, there would no problem
    -or if the horses themselves were levitators...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Chronic 1st-timer
    I prefer.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast