Thread: The Cone 2-5-09

mtbr member

The Cone 2-5-09

Hit the Cone today at 9AM. Warmed up quick today and some fast melting snow on the north facing switchbacks but still tons of fun. Go early while it's still firm.

Several new cyclocross obstacles out there as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Wow, who's that guy on the K2? He looks really fast. Also like the manly way he navigated that widow-maker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Cone for cyclocross?

I see you have a ridged in these pics. I'm assuming we're talking about Centennial Cone, right? How would that area be on a cyclocross rig?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    That is one beautiful Sheep, Lactic. Thanks for the report and pics.

ridesyeti - Yep, that's Centennial Cone. The Cone is ridable on the cyclocross bike, but probably not ideal. There are some steep sections climbing and descending that would be fun to navigate the cross bike through... I've never done it myself on the cross bike, just because I love riding the Cone on my Sheep. Let me know if you give it a go... love to hear your report!

mtbr member
    That looks like a great ride, where is it?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Funrover - it is in Golden, CO. It has some good climbing (like Buffalo Creek), but is a great ride!

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/opensp...e_T56_R108.htm

Note: it has an alternating use weekend schedule. Bikers are on even weekend days, and hikers get odd weekend days. During the week everyone can ride/hike...

mtbr member
    SWEET!! Thanks

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by ridesyeti
    I see you have a ridged in these pics. I'm assuming we're talking about Centennial Cone, right? How would that area be on a cyclocross rig?
    I've ridden my Karate Monkey (fully rigid) out there with CX tires a number of times. The climbs are gradual enough that you don't need a granny, and the trail is generally very smooth. I run a 1x8 with a 30 up front and a 12/32 in back and have no problems, despite my fat ass...

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    despite my fat ass...
    You're not THAT fat...
    Unless you've put on a few in the past 6 months or so.

Thread Terrorist
    Centennial is good to go! From Mahem gulch, we trucked up from the bottom, made a left and went until we hit the switch-backs that are usually in the shade. Ice and snow there. We turned around and took the longer way back down by doing that longer loop and then returning back down to the car.

All is dry, perhaps just a few patches of snowish-ice, but easily rideable.

the 1x9 did very well. no issues as I threw together random parts from 1990 through 2007 to put her back together. It is a rigid, and to that end, rough. Although I was hauling but uphill, those bikes have NO FLOW like the relaxed overbuilt freeride bikes have. Either has its advantages.

I'm off to lunch with a headache... hopefully the advil will calm my jared body back into a relaxed state for my 43lb monster bike trek at 2pm. ahhhh.... the cush.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by photogdog
    Wow, who's that guy on the K2? He looks really fast. Also like the manly way he navigated that widow-maker.
    Is this JC's mom?

Nice riding! Let's hit it again soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    It is a rigid, and to that end, rough. Although I was hauling but uphill, those bikes have NO FLOW like the relaxed overbuilt freeride bikes have. Either has its advantages.

I'm off to lunch with a headache... hopefully the advil will calm my jared body back into a relaxed state for my 43lb monster bike trek at 2pm. ahhhh.... the cush.
    Funny. I had the exact opposite experience on my rigid. I found myself forgetting that I was without a front shock and wondering why I had been carrying the extra weight around when I did stop and reflect on it. Flow was exhilarating! I'm riding a Blacksheep with ti fork so maybe there might be something to this 29er format, material, and/or builder.

Hopefully riding Buff Crik tomorrow on the BS so I'll try and post a rigid "flow report".

mtbr member
    Anyone got an update on conditions? The snow last week was pretty sporadic, some places got more than others. Looking to ride tomorrow. Thanks...

mtbr member
    bump for more updates. thinking about hitting it up this St the 28th. Someone here in Breck told me Centennial Cone is maybe a shorter drive than Red Rocks area.

mtbr member
    Was perfect on Friday before the snow. I don't believe it got too much that night. I think somebody posted a report on another thread.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I hitup the Cone yesterday and it was mostly dry. Backside switchbacks have snow and a few wet patches of softer dirt... Not too much mud, though. I did an out and back from the North lot including the Juniper/Mayhem loop and had a great ride! With all this nice warm weather, I'd imagine it will just keep getting better.

mtbr member
    beautiful! i might be there this Sat at sunrise.

mtbr member
    leaving Breck to ride the cone, or RR/MW/DR. anyone know if the Cone had any snow last night?

mtbr member
    I'm on the south side of Evergreen, we only got about an inch of snow. I did see Echo Mountain had 5" on the news. I would expect at least a little bit at CC.