mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Conditions on Rollins Pass, near divide??

Just wondering whether anyone has been on the top of Rollins Pass and has info on the amount of snow left on the trail/road near the top, on both sides??

skillz to pay billz
    keep dreamin'

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was hiking/snowshoeing up toward crater lakes above the tunnel last weekend. There was a lot of snow even below treeline, so I'm thinking it will be a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Thnx

Thanks for the feedback - I've actually had luck this same weekend in previous years with very little snow, other years I've had to push through snow fields several hundred feet long, those days are over, sounds like this trip will have to wait.

killin clear creek
    Snow line is right around trestle as of a couple days ago, we were thinking of going sledding up there this weekend...
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just went up and over. We rode Amtrak from Denver to Fraser, rode up no problem (at least from the quality of the road - my lungs were a different story). Down the east side to Yankee Doodle Lake was great cause the snow stopped the 4x4's cold (literally:-) so no dust. The trestles were good, and the trail around Needles Eye Tunnel has been improved by some kind soul so the bike was easy to haul around. The snow left a small shelf for the bike near the top. We didn't see any other fat-tire tracks so we may have been the first this year. Rode to East Portal and Nederland, then down to Boulder and hot tub at a friends house. Best day ever!! This route should be a National Monument.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Thnx

Cool, thanks for the update, sounds like a pretty epic day! Next time you should consider some of the single track on the east side that takes you to the base of Eldora, couple different routes, both pretty epic!!

Can't wait to get up there myself, soon.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone been up near Rollins Pass this year? What are the conditions like?

I am thinking about riding from Ned over to Winter Park next week but don't want to waste a day of riding if there is a bunch of snow.

mtbr member
    Haven't been on Rollins but Sourdough trail (close by) was nearly snow free last weekend even in the trees, and should be completely snow free now. Tops out around 10,200.

mtbr member

Conditions west side of Rollins Pass

My wife and I were up Corona Pass road on the WP side last weekend and there were significant snow drifts at just over 10,200 ft. We wanted to ride Broken Thumb, but it was LOTS of snow. I believe the top of the pass is still 4-5 miles from where this photo was taken. Also, the road did not appear to be rideable just beyond the turnoff for Broken Thumb.

That said, lots of heat this week, lots of melting. We may be up that way again this weekend, if so I'll update the snow melt progress.

Conditions on Rollins Pass, near divide??-photo-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I'll post an update when I get done.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by erlau View Post
    I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I'll post an update when I get done.
    I haven't checked out the pass in a couple weeks now but you should be fine. Jenny was basically clear today and even Kingston is starting to look good.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    I was up there 4 days ago. Didn't make it all the way to the pass, only because I wanted to head back, but I think it's good to go! There are 3-4 large snow patches in the last mile of Jenny Creek Trail before hitting Rollins Pass Road. Going up Jenny Creek would be slow-going, but I (unknowingly) hopped off the trail and took Rollins Pass Road up, which was way easier. Going down the trail is a hoot.. expect to get WET!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Doable with some hiking

I was able to ride across from WP to Boulder yesterday. There is still a good bit of snow between the old bridge on corona pass side (James Peak trailhead according to google maps) and Yankee Doodle Lake. Several snow hike sections of about 1/10th mile each but nothing too bad. The worst little bit is right next to the Rollins Pass sign and parking lot; a long section of deep snow. I took the higher trail instead of the trestle trail to avoid the snow by the parking lot and on the trestle trail.

If you are willing to hike and get wet give it a go, but it should be much more enjoyable in another week or two.

Conditions on Rollins Pass, near divide??-photo.jpg

Conditions on Rollins Pass, near divide??-img_2573.jpg

..ouch
    From yesterday..

Crappy evening views off Pipeline.

East side of the BWR shown right in the center.

Bit 'o hiking would still be required.

More crappy views off BWR.

Ice still melting on Yankee.

As the others mentioned. Jenny has some huge drifts still right at the Yankee end, but is otherwise good to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    From the West side the road is dry to the first trestle. There are a good number of drifts to slog through on the way to the top. There is one long stretch of wet/dry road after you get past the majority of drifts, then a big drift, then it is dry to the top.

501 looked clear to the east side but I didn't check it out b/c it looked like it might rain.

Re: Conditions on Rollins Pass, near divide??

Did ned > wp > boulder yesterday...

50yd drift by Yankee doodle, 100yd drift about a mile from the tunnel, and then another 100yd right before the parking lot, but just on the bridge trail. West side had been plowed and was all clear.

Jenny creek/Guinn mtn all clear as well

Enjoy