Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Conditions on Monarch Crest Trail?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jonny boy 
#1 ·
Anyone know what's up with that trail. I guess its raining in Salida right now, which means is probably snowing at elevation....

We were planning on hitting it this Saturday.

Also what's the deal with the "rainbow" option versus taking the fire road toward the bottom? can someone make a recommendation to a few decent riders attempting their first Monarch ride.

Thanks,

#2 ·
Good Luck...

if there's not snow up ther now, it sounds like there will be by the weekend. The Salida weather forecast for Friday is rain/snow mix with a high in the mid 40's. If the foresast holds true, there will be snow on the Crest Trail. Check out this web site periodically for live pics from the Pass: http://www.dickgilbert.com/colocam-monarch1.htm

The Rainbow Trail adds 9 miles of rolling single track out to US 285. If you have the energy, it's worth the trip.

#3 ·
I would expect snow

We got a noticable amount of snow on Pikes Peak last night on pretty much everything above timberline so if it's raining in Salida, it is snowy on the crest for sure. Even if they didn't get a whole lot of snow, it's so windy up there that I imagine the drifts are fierce. I would try calling the shuttle service (google "Monarch crest" and "shuttle"--I forget their name) and see what they say.

In regards to the Rainbow trail option, I agree that if you have the energy you should do it. I have only done the Crest once and I DIDN'T have the energy and we did the fireroad. The fireroad is mostly downhill but it keeps going and going and going and going and going AND THEN you hit the highway and have another 4 miles of road before you hit Poncha Springs. The ten+ miles of road at the bottom of the singletrack turned an epic ride into a mediocre ride in my memory because it was the last taste left in my mouth when I got back to the car. I have heard that it is much better with the Rainbow trail and (legs willing) I will do that option if I ever ride the Crest again.

#4 ·
wolffo said:
Anyone know what's up with that trail. I guess its raining in Salida right now, which means is probably snowing at elevation....

We were planning on hitting it this Saturday.

Also what's the deal with the "rainbow" option versus taking the fire road toward the bottom? can someone make a recommendation to a few decent riders attempting their first Monarch ride.

Thanks,
There will be snow, I'm at 7800 ft and it is only 46 degrees at 10am. BUT, if things clear out over the next few day, it can dry up pretty fast.
Rainbow is a fun option, but like everyone else is saying, it is harder than taking the dirt road out, so have the legs for it.
If you decide to go and Monarch Crest is not open, try S. Fooses trail or many of the other local trails in the area. Absolute Bikes in Salida can give you all sorts of information.

#5 ·
wolffo said:
Why would you ride a dirt road when you have 9 plus miles of sweet single track as an option? Unless you are out of water, have 2 flat tires, no daylight left, and left your beer with a thirsty friend (must meet all the criteria) then take the road. Dead legs will survive the Rainbow and reward you with a stunning conclusion to a day on Monarch Crest.

#6 ·
Do the Rainbow

You'll regret it if you don't. I've done the trail twice - once with, once without the Rainbow at the end. Much better ride with the Rainbow. This last time, the girls were worn out, so I decided to go with them back on the easy way out. The overall ride is not near as fun without the Rainbow Trail. You'll feel like you've climbed more than you got payback on. You lose a LOT of elevation on the dirt roads - that's not fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.