mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Competent wheelbuilders?

Looking for a competent wheelbuilder somewhere in the front range.

I'm planning on buying a 20mm thru fork to replace my 9mm QR flexy POS, and I have two wheelsets, both with 9mm QR and they each have their own issues.

I've got a pair of Laserdisc Trail wheels in really good condition, except the rear hub is blown. I've also got a pair of Crossmax wheels with a cracked rear rim, but they're pretty damn well used.

Thinking about relacing the Laserdisc Trail rims with the Crossmax rear hub and a new 20mm thru hub. Not sure if the rear hub has the right number of holes though, if not, I'll just have to get a new rear hub I suppose - something cheap like a Shimano Deore I guess.

Trying to keep the price low, but also want a quality wheelbuilder. From what I've seen, most labor charges are around $40 per wheel? Thinking $100 for both wheels, since I won't be needing spokes/nipples? Does this sound about right?

friend of Apex
    I have a set of Hope proII's on Stans Flow that are on their 3rd season (and 3rd different frame) from Redstone Cyclery. Still rollin strong, and I am not a very graceful rider.
    They come with lifetime wheel servicing, and no BS. Dave stands behind his stuff and his prices are very fair.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    The Crossmax hub won't lace into the Laserdisc rim. Also, you'll need new spokes for the new hub. Flange diameters vary from hub to hub. On thru-hubs the flange is often larger than QR hubs.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I only know TWO who both gave me AWESOME pricing, and built absolutely flawless wheels:

Dave @SpeedDream - Fountain Hills, Arizona (800)275-5031
    Marko @American Cyclesport - Castle Rock, Colorado (720)612-7351
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll throw another recommendation out there for Dave at Redstone. Wouldn't take my bike anywhere else. He built up a wheelset for me last season and I couldn't be happier with them. Like WKD-RDR said, he stands behind his work.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Another vote for Dave at Redstone. Just had a new wheel built laced to an existing hub, couldn't be happier.
    I'm here for the downhill

Twin Six METAL Team
    If you're south, James at Cafe Velo (Colorado Springs) built two great sets of wheels for me.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    ...Thinking about relacing the Laserdisc Trail rims with the Crossmax rear hub and a new 20mm thru hub. Not sure if the rear hub has the right number of holes though, if not...
    The worst thing about Mavic wheels is the rear hub. The freewheels develop a problem that needs a kit to resolve. If you really want a Mavic system wheelset, it's because you're willing to tolerate the crappy hub.

As rogbie says, it might not even work, which would be good news.

You're better off buying a basic SLX hub than you are trying to re-purpose that mavic hub. Put that on your desk at work. Something to fidget with while you're on boring phone calls.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    The worst thing about Mavic wheels is the rear hub. The freewheels develop a problem that needs a kit to resolve. If you really want a Mavic system wheelset, it's because you're willing to tolerate the crappy hub.

As rogbie says, it might not even work, which would be good news.

You're better off buying a basic SLX hub than you are trying to re-purpose that mavic hub. Put that on your desk at work. Something to fidget with while you're on boring phone calls.
    QFT. The rear hub on a Mavic is legendary for its crappiness. The one saving grace is that they are *really* easy to work on. That doesn't really make up for the fact that it *requires* frequent maint/rebuilds.