Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    708

    Coming to the Springs - questions

    Hey folks, I'm heading out to Denver and Colorado Springs this week for business. Unfortunately, I won't have time to ride. I do intend to bring my trail shoes, and am hoping to have at least one evening to get out find a trail to run while in the Springs.

    Can anyone help out with a trail suggestion? I'm staying here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...ado+springs+co
    at 115/85, but will have a car. I'm looking for a nice, scening +/- 4 mile loop to run in the evening.

    I may also have an evening free in Denver. I'll be staying downtown. Any nice trails that fit the above description close to downtown Denver?

    Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,404
    Hit Palmer Park - TONS of trail running opportunities.

    Palmer Park
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

  3. #3
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,876
    section 16 or palmer trail would be fun...

  4. #4
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    If your into self flogging you could do the incline/barr trail loop, 2000ft up in 1.5 miles with a 3-4 mile jog down, it's the ultimate thigh-master

    The Stratton area has some nice trails that have less elevation.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    708
    Thanks for the help folks!

    Palmer Park looks like it may be a winner - any particular trail recommendations there?

  6. #6
    SS Chimp
    Reputation: 32x18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    466

    7 minutes away

    go here..it is only 7 minutes to the Open Space trail head. FYI...there are quite a few more trails then the map shows so getting mileage would not be a problem

    Directions

    Info and Map

    Local running group
    all single...all the time

  7. #7
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,640
    Both Stratton Open Space and Palmer Park are good choices. Stratton is a better idea than Palmer Park based on where he is staying. It is pretty easy to get lost in, but as long as you head east (down) you will hit one of the two trailheads and there are several trails connecting the two heads so it's impossible to really get lost.

    Palmer Park is also difficult to get lost in and is great trail running, but it is a little more of a drive. Also, it's a lot more likely to cause spraigned ankles . The best choice for running is Templeton, IMHO, but that is only because it's the only trail I can run without putting myself to sleep. It is 4 miles long and very technical.

    Rick: the incline is actually 2,000 feet vertical in 1.02 miles not 1.5 miles per the Skyrunners website. Grundy: Rick's comment about self-flogging is putting it lightly. I think the incline is probably one of the most strenuous activities I have ever done. If you are a glutton for punishment, there is nothing better than the incline .
    Last edited by kristian; 04-10-2006 at 03:43 PM.

  8. #8
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian

    Rick: the incline is actually 2,000 feet vertical in 1.02 miles
    Thats an avg. 40% grade, I think it's over 50% in spots, 30 minutes of pain getting up it and 30-45 min's of running down barr trail. I've done it the last 5 or 6 weeks, hoping I feel the benefits here real quick, anyone for a casual hike up the incline tomm?

  9. #9
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,640
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Thats an avg. 40% grade, I think it's over 50% in spots, 30 minutes of pain getting up it and 30-45 min's of running down barr trail. I've done it the last 5 or 6 weeks, hoping I feel the benefits here real quick, anyone for a casual hike up the incline tomm?
    Again, per skyrunners, the max grade is 68% at the false summit! I couldn't do it in 30 minutes when I was still racing XC (my best was 31.45) and the last time I did it was closer to 50 minutes .

    Come on, you know you would rather ride than go through that pain right?

  10. #10
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Again, per skyrunners, the max grade is 68% at the false summit! I couldn't do it in 30 minutes when I was still racing XC (my best was 31.45) and the last time I did it was closer to 50 minutes .

    Come on, you know you would rather ride than go through that pain right?

    I took a little digger Sun. up on templeton, the wrist is still hurting so I need to see how it feels tomm., I would rather ride for sure but I might be stuck doing the incline with Jurgen and Kalan. I'm gonna be bumming if the wrist doesn't come around, I'm supposed to be in Moab next week.

  11. #11
    I think I can.
    Reputation: JOEMTBR COLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    You guys just took over his post and drove him out, I bet most of you could not run more than a mile.


    Have a good night.

    By the way, you never mentioned what kind of run you were looking for?

    Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    You guys just took over his post and drove him out, I bet most of you could not run more than a mile.


    Have a good night.

    By the way, you never mentioned what kind of run you were looking for?
    nah, I was just away from the internet for a while.

    Good point - I'm really looking for a scenic run. I've never been in this area before, so I'd like to see what there is to see. I run hilly, technical trails, but I live at sea level and haven't been running that regularly, hence the desire to keep things around 4 miles.

    Ideally, I'd prefer something fun and technical to a fire road, but the alternative is the hotel treadmill - I'll take just about anything over that.

  13. #13
    I think I can.
    Reputation: JOEMTBR COLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Section 16 is a beautiful run but probably more than what you are looking for, if you want to get a good feel for Colorado Springs and how beautiful this place really is go to Palmer, reasonable elevation changes and plenty of views from the top trail.

    Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    Section 16 is a beautiful run but probably more than what you are looking for, if you want to get a good feel for Colorado Springs and how beautiful this place really is go to Palmer, reasonable elevation changes and plenty of views from the top trail.
    Cool, thanks for the input. It turns out that Palmer is in between the hotel and the office, so it looks like a winner. I appreciate the help!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •