mtbr member

Coming to Frisco in July----Flatlander needs advice!

Spending a week or so in Frisco with the family and want to do some riding. We're staying at the base of Mt. Royal, super close to the Temple Trail and TenMile Creek.

Definitely going to do some fishing! (any advice on that would be appreciated, but not expected)

We plan on a couple days of adult riding and a day of trailering the kids down the Temple Trail.....my questions are:

Best place to take the wife who is in great shape, but not a super skilled rider. Are there trails for novices outside of the paved ones?

Best place for a fairly skilled Eastern KS mountain biker. No free ride/DH, but something that will make me get a feel for what the sport of mountain biking really has to offer!

Rentals? My HT would get me by, but I would really like to go all out and hop on something made to ride the local terrain! Plus, the wife will need something more than her entry level Trek for places other than pavement!
    Kid trailer rentals.....does that even exist?

Thanks in advance!

Brian
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Check out the "Honeymoon Week" thread not far down from your post. That should pretty much cover the good trails in summit county. As far as rentals, I know Wilderness Sports in Frisco rents, just not sure what level of bikes they rent up to. Hopefully someone else chimes in with better info on rentals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In case it gets pushed down the page here is the link to the honeymoon thread.

Honeymoon Week! - Riding destination help near Breck/Frisco/Keystone

mtbr member
    peaks trail starts right there at the base of mount royal.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Peaks trail, Frisco Peninsula trails, and CO trail off Tiger Road. Peaks might be difficult for the wife, but she'll be fine on the rest. Peninsula trails are great for beginners, lots of small loops of varying degrees of difficulty.

mtbr member
    Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks, everyone!!
    www.getbusylivin.org

Guardian 2.0

Bad Andy!
    I checked out getbusylivin.org. Cool.
    You related to Dylan?
    Just curious - my nephew is a Gorilla .
    His family (my sister) lives on the E side of Pomona Lake.

Backcountry Brewery in Frisco has some good beer, if you like that kinda thing!
    You will love riding in Summit Co!
    Can't really go wrong.
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    GK-
    Dylan's oldest brother is one of my close friends and we all grew up in Pittsburg, home of the Gorillas! Losing Dylan was a major loss, but his legacy and zest for life lives on through his foundation! Long story short, he is reason why I'm a firefighter, a mountain biker, and a better person! The world lost a good one when he passed!

Thanks for the info on the Brewery. My father-in-law just suggested we'll need a boys day out!
    Cheers!
    www.getbusylivin.org

Guardian 2.0

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Fishing...hit up the Blue River below Lake Dillon. The tail waters are good, some monster rainbows in there. If you have the time you can drive to Kremmling from Silverthorne and fish the Colorado and the Blue River. There is a also a bait shop called Master Bait and Tackle, just thought I'd throw that in there.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Like others have said, The Peaks is right out of Frisco and it is fairly technical. For less difficult, miners creek road goes up Miners creek a ways before it becomes a gnarly jeep road. There are also a bunch of old two tracks in the Rainbow lake/Mt Royal area that aren't too gnarly that form close loops.

The only thing I'd add about the Peninsula trails is while the trails that follow the Nordic Trails aren't too hard - although there are some short punchy hills - the lake shore trail does have some narrow rocky spots that are very close to the embankment that drops off into the lake and that is probably intimidating to a novice

Another easy trail system that is a short drive from Frisco is the Oro Grande trail near Dillon. Another spot is the Salt Lick system on the north side of I-70. It's actually very close to Frisco, but you have to go down to Silverthorne and go up the Wilderness subdivision to get to it.

There are endless other trails the closer you go to Breckenridge.

I'm not a fisherman but lot's of people fish the Blue between Breckenridge and Dillon Reservoir and also the Swan River up Tiger Rd.

BTW: It's probably your auto correct, but it's the Tenmile trail, not the Temple trail.