mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Coming down from the hills. Where to ride by Flat Irons?

I'm thinking of riding down there on Sat. 4/19. Trying to find some good long trails to ride somewhere by Flat Irons Mall area. I'll ride while the wife and kid shops. What could possibley be better?

Anyway any good recomedations would be great and even better if anywone wants to show a mountain boy where the good riding is I'll returne the favor if you come to Summit County and need some off the beat trails to ride.

Thanks in advance.

Thread Terrorist
    Marshall mesa, just west of the mall. you can access it from hwy 128 or McCaslin blvd. Just go west on the main road just north of the mall (can't remember name). at the T intersection at McCaslin, just pull through the light and park.

contains quinine
    http://www.boa-mtb.org/resources/maps.php

Check out the Marshall Mesa area. It's on the city of Boulder maps. XC-ish. Very close to where you'll be.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Marshall mesa, just west of the mall. you can access it from hwy 128 or McCaslin blvd. Just go west on the main road just north of the mall (can't remember name). at the T intersection at McCaslin, just pull through the light and park.

Coalton is the main road which runs in front of the mall. Take it West until you hit the Coalton Trail. Its the dirt road which climbs about a mile West...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the directions. At Marshell what kind of riding, how long can it be, and are any of you looking to ride Sat late morning?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Another ?

I'm looking at the maps posted on Boulder's web page and all the trails look like they are bike paths and dirt roads? Are there any single tracks in the area to ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4
    I'm looking at the maps posted on Boulder's web page and all the trails look like they are bike paths and dirt roads? Are there any single tracks in the area to ride?
    that trail system (marshall mesa/dowdy) is a welcome addition, but by no means a destination if you're coming down from summit... there are better rides, though sounds like you're constrained by time/distance to the mall.

but to answer the question more directly, yes there is ST there.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

tiny rider
    high plains, dowdy draw (the northern half), coal seam, cowdry draw and I think the Marshall mesa bit are single track. There are other double track/gravel road bits as well to tie these together. With a stretch of pavement you can run a ~17 mile loop. It's all pretty flat and not technical so ride fast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    that trail system (marshall mesa/dowdy) is a welcome addition, but by no means a destination if you're coming down from summit... there are better rides, though sounds like you're constrained by time/distance to the mall.

but to answer the question more directly, yes there is ST there.
    What he said so... Marshall Mesa is probably your best bet to kill time while the wife is at the mall.
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

skillz to pay billz
    go to walker ranch, about 1/2 hour from flat irons mall up coal creek canyon. 2 hr ride, start from crescent meadows TH.

but i guess it depends on how long your wife can shop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    high plains, dowdy draw (the northern half), coal seam, cowdry draw and I think the Marshall mesa bit are single track. There are other double track/gravel road bits as well to tie these together. With a stretch of pavement you can run a ~17 mile loop. It's all pretty flat and not technical so ride fast
    FYI: I was just there today, and the Marshall mesa trail was off-limits to bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Walker Ranch uh

do you have good directions to the ranch. Just a half hour drive through boulder I'm guessing. THanks.

skillz to pay billz
    well let's see.

You're going to need to go on west 120th ave. to 93 south from flatirons mall to highway 72/coal creek canyon, head west up coal creek canyon to gross dam rd. head north-ish to the crescent meadows trailhead. The loop is only 7.4 miles but has lots of climbing and descents.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=walker...11467&t=h&z=14
    http://www.bouldercounty.org/openspa...rks/walker.htm

mtbr member

pics ?

Does anyone have any good pics of Walker?

Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4
    do you have good directions to the ranch. Just a half hour drive through boulder I'm guessing. THanks.

mtbr member

mtbr member

Thanks

I did Walker several years ago. Thought I was gonna die.

Great video!

Quote Originally Posted by retsin2000

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If your coming from summit you have to pass through golden. If i were you, I would have the wife drive and drop you off just after the 7/11 on 93. Then ride up white, and have her pick you up at a bar in golden for some grub. This way you get more riding in, and can down a beer before the wife tells you how much dough she spent!

I'll be riding my mav there sat.