mtbr member

COMBA Working for Idaho Springs DH Trail

Some quick PR from the Colorado Offroad Mountain Bike Association:

COMBA is currently spearheading a large project to build NEW TRAIL above the city of Idaho Springs, in Clear Creek county. Currently in the planning phase, we're bringing together multiple stakeholders to help the city realize a recreational plan for over 440 acres of city property. The proposed trail system will be comprised of both multi-use and advanced directional downhill trails. All of this is pending approval, but the city is an active proponent of recreational development as a way to bring tourism dollars to the area (riders buying gas, lunch, shopping, etc.). If this plan comes to fruition, we believe the initial phase focusing on an advanced directional downhill trail will help relieve some congestion on Apex and other JCOS parks. For more information or to donate time or money to this project please contact terry@comba.org.

NOTE FROM BFP: from what we inderstand, COMBA needs your support in both voice and deed. Please contact Terry to lend your help to the project in any way that you can.

MM
    Support Open Space!

PDB
    SUFD
    Great news, count me in!
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

Living the High Life

Oh, So Interesting!
    Just waiting for the word, I'm ready to build trail.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Big Boned
    In case anyone was wondering, yes, this is the same project I've been hyping for, oh, two years now. The "unofficial" name is Area 28, a working designation that Idaho Springs gave the area because the land represents 28 different parcels that the city consolidated and planned a trail system on. The city drew a map, and plotted out an extensive network of DH, FR, XC and multi-use trails, including parking lots, picnic areas, etc. Unfortunately, that's where the project stalled.

One of our locals, Smedley (who the folks from BFP probably know from his work on MSC trail crews) found this map in the Idaho Springs city hall, showed it to me, and I have been hyping it incessantly to anyone who would listen to me ever since.

If you'd like to see a (non-official) version of what these trails **could** be (this is not even remotely close to reality except that it shows the general area where the trails will be and also shows a rough representation of the trails that the city proposed in the initial plan) you can go to:

http://clearcreektrails.com/idaho_topo.html

Now that I'm in Austin, I will not be as actively involved in this project. But I am supporting it, both morally and financially, from a distance. So, thanks to Terry and Jason and Hillary and everyone who's contributed so far, and thanks in advance to everyone whose help will be needed to make this thing happen.

I'm just amazed to see that my and Smed's pet project has attracted so much support so far. Let's keep the momentum going. Y'all rock.

percocet pioneer.
    Frankly, I'd rather drive 5 minutes to apex or white ranch but hopefully this works out!

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    Frankly, I'd rather drive 5 minutes to apex or white ranch but hopefully this works out!
    If this goes off as we all hope it will, the DH trails up in A28 will look more like High Speed Dirt or Motorhead than Apex, with no worries about running into uphill traffic. That's really the key -- best case, these will be purpose-designed DH trails -- step-ups/downs, doubles, stunts (I hope), etc. -- not just shuttling and advanced XC/AM trail on a DH bike. Apples and oranges.

Also, one thing that's been discussed is the concept of progressive lines, so riders can build confidence and skills. So, like on Eye Of The Tiger, there might be a "Blue" line to the left, and a "Black" line to the right, allowing riders to pick progressively harder lines according to their skills. It will be a unique trail system. And even better, it won't require a killer climb to reach the top -- if you don't have a DH bike, Virginia Canyon Road (Oh My God) is not really that hard of a climb. You could spin up the road and then bomb down the DH run all the way back to town. Depending on how some of the details shake out, some of these trails could be up to 3-4 miles long with over 1,000 of vertical, possibly up to 1,300 or so, if memory serves. (What are the stats on Apex? I have no idea...)

(EDIT -- 3-4 miles might be overstating it a bit -- maybe 2-3? Still...)

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by MavSports
    ... All of this is pending approval... If this plan comes to fruition... COMBA needs your support in both voice and deed...
    So.. I'm confused (not that this is new). The last couple threads on this topic said city approvals for this project were a done deal and it was about time to start putting in shovel time. Now this makes it sound like it's back in discussion stage. Do we get to dig soon or not?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense

Also, one thing that's been discussed is the concept of progressive lines, so riders can build confidence and skills.

Definitely a good idea. Free Lunch in GJ is a good example. I don't think they ever got around to adding optional lines to Eye of the Tiger last year.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Big Boned

the truth is somewhere in between...

Quote Originally Posted by thump
    So.. I'm confused (not that this is new). The last couple threads on this topic said city approvals for this project were a done deal and it was about time to start putting in shovel time. Now this makes it sound like it's back in discussion stage. Do we get to dig soon or not?
    I don't recall anyone saying it's dig time just yet. The city is supportive -- it was their map and idea to begin with. But they're not mountain bikers so this plans were a bit rough. COMBA is proposing to take the city's original plan and tweak/improve it. But there are some bureaucratic and legal issues that still need to be sorted -- easements and such. It's complex.

We still need the final official green light for a specific proposal. But my contacts in the city council are all for the concept of trails, so my confidence is high, though I still have my fingers crossed because you never know.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Definitely a good idea. Free Lunch in GJ is a good example. I don't think they ever got around to adding optional lines to Eye of the Tiger last year.
    I don't know for certain if the line was built because I always rode the "blue" line, but I recall seeing a "black" optional line sign maybe 2/3 of the way down EOTT last season. Just one, though. Blue was to the left, black to the right.

mtbr member
    I wish I had more info, but I don't. My boss asked me to help get the word out, so I did.

MM
    Support Open Space!

Big Boned
    Thanks for promoting the project anyway!

..ouch
    Alright.. so it's not quite clear of the red tape. Let us know if there's anything that can be done to help. Thanks for the updates.. and thanks again for everyone's work in getting this going.