formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006

CoMBA, CO Trail Sec.1...and you

Hey hey,

Did you know that CoMBA adopts Section 1 of the Colorado Trail?

Have you been out past Lenny's Rest on the CT lately? It needs some love.

As such, I am acting as the proverbial Barry White of the trail section this summer for CoMBA and I need your help. I'll be doing some work out there and am looking for volunteers. I don't have any trail days nailed down yet, but I do need to give a list of names of potential volunteers to the Colorado Trail Foundation by May 15th(for insurance reasons).

There is no commitment in giving me your name beyond receiving some emails when I do get some dates approved.

If'n you are interested, shoot me an email with your name. Joe AT comba DOT org

Thanks

Joe Hanrahan
    CoMBA Director

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Put me down.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    In...

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    If you don't mind my asking, what kind of "love" does it need? Cuz' it's in pretty good shape unless there is some significant winter damage I'm not aware of. The work done on the descent to the Platte a couple of years ago didn't make anything "better," imho.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Past Lenny's, head down past those three water crossings(which were quite sporting 2 weeks ago) and there is that steep climb. That section of trail is hurting and needs some serious water diversion work. There are some hasty water bars (lines of big rocks)that someone put in at some point late last year, but they need to be improved. Theres at least one big nasty rain rut that needs to be filled and get water diverted above it.
    2 weeks ago I didn't get much farther than the top of that climb before hitting snow, but I'd imagine theres a few more things that need to get done.

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch_
    Put me down.
    You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

Sorry.. that was too easy.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    Past Lenny's, head down past those three water crossings(which were quite sporting 2 weeks ago) and there is that steep climb. That section of trail is hurting and needs some serious water diversion work. There are some hasty water bars (lines of big rocks)that someone put in at some point late last year, but they need to be improved. Theres at least one big nasty rain rut that needs to be filled and get water diverted above it.
    2 weeks ago I didn't get much farther than the top of that climb before hitting snow, but I'd imagine theres a few more things that need to get done.
    I say this with respect and no intended offense, but consider just leaving it alone. The trail is the trail. It develops a hardpan that is very resistant to use if people don't ride it when it's saturated. Every time I see cutting and filling on that trail, it just makes it worse, especially with the horse traffic it sees. Most of what you see there today stems from those good intentions.

Again, just my 2-cents but I ride there a lot.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. I know you ride back there a lot, and was looking forward to your input on some trouble spots, so if you do have any other suggestions for other zones, definitely let me know.
    I respect your opinion too, but I was blown away by what I saw, and frankly as a rep for CoMBA, a little embarassed by the condition of that spot. I do think it can be improved and made more sustainable. We've got a responsibility to the CTF and can't let that area continue to degrade.
    My strategy is not going to be just one big work day back there and calling it good. I am planning on chipping away through the course of the summer and monitoring how the trail responds to what we are doing, and will be open to any and all feedback.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron

I respect your opinion too, but I was blown away by what I saw
    I think that climb section right after the descent used to be an old jeep road, no? IMO the trail really needs to be re-routed around that section...

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I think that climb section right after the descent used to be an old jeep road, no? IMO the trail really needs to be re-routed around that section...
    That is the truth, and my first thought as I wrapped my head around what I was seeing, but that endeavor is well beyond my pay-grade. I just want to build some kickass water diversions to keep the dirt where its supposed to be.
    Last edited by flowtron; 05-13-2010 at 09:59 PM.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Again I ask: why?

The climb is very hard but doable & it has ALWAYS been that way. Seriously, it's been that way for 20-years and hasn't changed significantly in that time. Why change it? To make it easier? I'm really curious to know other's thoughts on this issue. In my mind the default answer should be to let any long established trail find its own angle of repose for lack of a better term. Homeostasis, maybe? I'm being sincere when I say that on a trail like that section of the CT, trail maintenance should consist of removing downed trees you can't ride over or duck under. The rest of it is just the character of the trail and it's OK for a trail to be hard, it's OK to push your bike, it's OK if you can't ride the creek crossings, it's OK if you'll never be able to clean the climb up that wall. Will, it's not your fault.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF

The climb is very hard but doable & it has ALWAYS been that way. Seriously, it's been that way for 20-years and hasn't changed significantly in that time. Why change it? To make it easier? I'm really curious to know other's thoughts on this issue.
    I haven't ridden it many times over the past 15 years, but the few times I have it has always struck me as a washed-out cobbled-up disaster. I guess maybe that's it's "equilibrium" state.

I feel the same way about The Trough on the Roxy loop - IMO it should be rerouted and that trough filled in.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I haven't ridden it many times over the past 15 years, but the few times I have it has always struck me as a washed-out cobbled-up disaster. I guess maybe that's it's "equilibrium" state.

I feel the same way about The Trough on the Roxy loop - IMO it should be rerouted and that trough filled in.
    That is it's normal state. When I can clean it, I know I'm on form....which happens less and less as the years go by unfortunately.

Funny you mention the Rox gully because we were talking about that one here too. Again, it never should have been put there, but it was and is now just a feature of the trail and I'd hate to see it go away. That's the Rox loop's one grunt climb that lets you know where your fitness is at.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I dunno - I'm pretty sure that The Trough has gotten significantly worse since the mid-90's. I may be imagining that it's getting deeper and deeper, but I don't think so...
    Last edited by SkaredShtles; 05-06-2010 at 01:22 PM.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I dunno - I'm pretty sure that The Trough has gotten significantly worse since the mid-90's. I maybe imagining that it's getting deeper and deeper, but I don't think so...
    I ride there more than any other trail since it's literally my backyard and I don't have to drive to ride it or even get on a road for that matter. Of course, I may not be the best judge since I don't notice myself looking any older in the mirror as the days go by either but the runout at the bottom doesn't seem to be getting any worse, so I'd say any growth is small. I always feel like Mtn Lion bait riding up it though. Perfect ambush site! The Rox loop is one of my favorite rides, getting back and forth from the trailhead can get old, but I never regret it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I ride there more than any other trail since it's literally my backyard and I don't have to drive to ride it or even get on a road for that matter. Of course, I may not be the best judge since I don't notice myself looking any older in the mirror as the days go by either but the runout at the bottom doesn't seem to be getting any worse, so I'd say any growth is small. I always feel like Mtn Lion bait riding up it though. Perfect ambush site! The Rox loop is one of my favorite rides, getting back and forth from the trailhead can get old, but I never regret it.
    Yeah - I don't ride it a ton... so maybe that's why I notice the (perceived?) changes. Kind of like the tree drop. That has gotten quite a bit more... fun over the years. And the cheater line to the left was originally kind of a bummer... but now appears to be the most traveled route. Someone will probably fill the drop in someday.

Team Inflexible
    I thought the OP was just asking for potential volunteers and not sparking a debate on trail maintenence.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    I thought the OP was just asking for potential volunteers and not sparking a debate on trail maintenence.
    Nothing wrong with some debate on trail maintenance...

Are you new around here?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    That's what you get for thinking.

Perpetually single track

The climb is very hard but doable & it has ALWAYS been that way. Seriously, it's been that way for 20-years and hasn't changed significantly in that time. Why change it? To make it easier? I'm really curious to know other's thoughts on this issue. In my mind the default answer should be to let any long established trail find its own angle of repose for lack of a better term. Homeostasis, maybe? I'm being sincere when I say that on a trail like that section of the CT, trail maintenance should consist of removing downed trees you can't ride over or duck under. The rest of it is just the character of the trail and it's OK for a trail to be hard, it's OK to push your bike, it's OK if you can't ride the creek crossings, it's OK if you'll never be able to clean the climb up that wall. Will, it's not your fault.
    I love that beast of a climb, loose as all hell....I'd be sad to see it go...that being said, I'd happy to administer some dirty lovin' to the CT. Joe keep an eye out for my email.

Kirk
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Bump for the final 12 or so hours.
    If you think you might be interested in helping out this summer,
    send your name to me at Joe @ comba DOT org by noon Friday.

Cheers,
    Joe