Pivot Rider

Listen! COMBA Beginner Rides Starting May 6th!

It's that time of year for us to get our ride on! We have been to Moab, some of us to Fruita and now it's time for us to concentrate on getting our friends, spouses, bf's and gf's and any one else we can think of on a bike!

The COMBA Beginner Ride is a perfect place to start learning the love of our stupendous sport and will be twice a month. This is the first ride of the season, so let's get the word out! Make sure the first time rider has:
    • a HELMET
    • a WORKING bike
    • dresses appropriately (rain gear/wind jkt)
    • an extra tube
    • tire levers and pump
    • gel/food
    • WATER
    • an a huge SMILE!

Meet at Bear Creek Lake Park at 5:45 pm at the lot across from the Conoco Station on Morrison Rd/Rooney Rd. Wheels down at 6:00pm. Look for the COMBA banner!

A helmet is REQUIRED!

Please RSVP at: grouprides@comba.org.
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

Pivot Rider

Don't forget....

Your beginner friends have to start somewhere.....

Pivot Rider
    We're countin on some really fine weather for tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Why not meet inside the park?

If you're group is going to use the park, shouldn't the riders pay the park fee and help support Bear Creek Lake Park.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma
    Why not meet inside the park?

If you're group is going to use the park, shouldn't the riders pay the park fee and help support Bear Creek Lake Park.
    I honestly didn't know there was a park fee. I have never ridden inside this park, I've only ridden in/through it during rides on a road bike. I figured this location was picked simply because it's the one most easily found and known by most since many of us drive by it every week.

Tell you what, I'll put $50 cash in my CamelBak and put in the correct amount at the donation box along with a note apologizing for starting at the wrong spot. That should cover the entire group. If it doesn't? I promise to tackle anyone who dares to use the bathroom facilities.

Tonight is about volunteerism and welcoming people into the sport. Thanks Nancy for your awesome and tireless work in that regard and dedication to the cause. Along with the cash I'll also bringing a friend and business colleauge tonight. It will be her first ride on dirt! On my old bike.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    I honestly didn't know there was a park fee. I have never ridden inside this park, I've only ridden in/through it during rides on a road bike. I figured this location was picked simply because it's the one most easily found and known by most since many of us drive by it every week.

Tell you what, I'll put $50 cash in my CamelBak and put in the correct amount at the donation box along with a note apologizing for starting at the wrong spot. That should cover the entire group. If it doesn't? I promise to tackle anyone who dares to use the bathroom facilities.

Tonight is about volunteerism and welcoming people into the sport. Thanks Nancy for your awesome and tireless work in that regard and dedication to the cause. Along with the cash I'll also bringing a friend and business colleauge tonight. It will be her first ride on dirt! On my old bike.
    THANKS Michelle! You Rock!

This is about volunteering and involving people in this awesome sport of mtn biking! This location was picked because of its simplicity of both trails and access. It is a great beginner ride and doesn't overwhelm someone as they are trying to figure out how to shift and how to breathe and pedal all at the same time!

To answer you question, however, 3sigma: I have discussed our rides at Bear Creek Lake Park several times with the Park officials and they have no requests that we park inside the park in order to ride the trails provided by the Park. If we were to begin using all their facilities, picnic tables, fire pits, lake facilities, etc, etc -- then yes, they would request that we come through the gates and pay to use their facilities. However, we are riding trails that run through the park and they have voiced a desire that we enjoy those trails, be responsible in our usage of those trails and have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    TVC15,

There isn't a fee to ride through the park. I just thought it would be a good idea for a group ride to support the facility that they are going to use and enjoy.

Like you, I also ride through the park on my road bike (horror of horrors!) and occasionally play around on the Park trails.

Also, like you proposed, I purchased an annual pass ($45) to support the park. I didn't need to, I just felt that it was the right thing to do.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma
    TVC15,

There isn't a fee to ride through the park. I just thought it would be a good idea for a group ride to support the facility that they are going to use and enjoy.

Like you, I also ride through the park on my road bike (horror of horrors!) and occasionally play around on the Park trails.

Also, like you proposed, I purchased an annual pass ($45) to support the park. I didn't need to, I just felt that it was the right thing to do.
    Well I doubt we all need to purchase annual passes tonight (that'd be kinda crazy), but I'll make sure the daily fee is covered for all. It'll be my pleasure as a proper welcome to the sport.

Thanks again Nancy, thanks again COMBA! These group/beginner rides are wonderful events and take a lot of time and work to put together. We're lucky to have you all doing so much for our community.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode my time trial bike around Wash Park last night at exactly 15MPH. I threw $5 in the lake to support the park. I hope they find it. I didn't need to, I just felt that it was the right thing to do.

Yeah me (insert picture of me patting myself on the back in my skin suit and aero helmet)!

mtbr member
    Seems like YetiGirl and TVC15 are looking for ways to help people get out and ride, nice job!

Others, presumably, are looking to find problems that aren't really there. D.B.

Good job COMBA!

Pivot Rider
    Unfortunately, our Beginner Ride tonight was canceled due to the weather. Part of our responsibility is to ensure that our beginners understand how weather affects the trails and when it's ok to ride (when trails are tacky) and when it's not (wet, muddy trails).

Thank you for those that did show up -- BIG KUDOS to each of you! Our next Beginner Ride is scheduled for May 20th! (keep your fingers crossed for better weather!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for posting these rides up.

I didn't know there was such great support for beginner riders out there. My wife has found it tough find other beginners to jam on the trails with. I will definatly pass this info on to her.

Thanks again!

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by CDS123
    Thanks for posting these rides up.

I didn't know there was such great support for beginner riders out there. My wife has found it tough find other beginners to jam on the trails with. I will definatly pass this info on to her.
    It is a GREAT program. I couldn't believe how many people showed up last night -- must have been at least 20?!

It's so hard to introduce people to the sport because they're usually getting into it based on the enthusiasm of a very experienced rider and the disparity in skill levels can lead to, well, situations that make falling in love with the sport unlikely.

While it was the right call to cancel the ride (thanks Christy!), I had a bit of a unique situation on my hands. Kristen, who has never, ever ridden off road in her entire life, is going riding in Moab ... um, today (eh, boyfriends). Anyhoo, because of that we had to get on dirt last night simply so she could get introduced to her bike! So we waited for the rain to subside, stayed on the more gravelly trails, and talked at length about the concept of riding through not around. In the end we were able to successfully steer clear of mud.

She did great, and was silly giddy after the ride! The key (I think? Nancy can surely speak to this better than I) is letting a new rider gain a serious baseline of confidence before getting them in over their head. Even if that means the ride's gonna suck for you.

It was really cool. A few pix below.

One more HUGE thanks to Nancy and Christy and COMBA for providing this program. It takes an enormous amount of time and committment and every single volunteer doing this deserves big appreciation.
    Last edited by TVC15; 05-07-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Pivot Rider
    Sorry I missed you and your friend Michelle! I was there until about 5:55 and then left -- at that point there was only me, Christy, Jay, Jake, two of Jake's friends and one other. We felt that it was better to call the ride due to the rain and trail conditions!

It is so very amazing to get the support that we have from the mtn bike community. We (COMBA) feel that it's so important to provide a baseline for the beginning riders. It has been a long-time goal of mine to educate other more accomplished riders in the psyche of the beginning rider plus offer encouragement and learning opportunities so that the beginner isn't thrown in over his/her head. I couldn't tell you how many ppls I have talked with who were taken to an "easy" trail (as considered by the more accomplished rider) and then left to navigate obstacles that seemed almost insurmountable to them. Baby-steps -- seems to work the best for most beginners!

Jay and Christy (our Beginner Grp ride leaders) are super good at encouraging and educating the beginning rider. As the Director of Social Rides, I am very excited that they agreed to continue volunteering as the Beginner Ride leaders! I am also very excited that there are other volunteers on our Social Events/Rides Committee that are equally pumped to help out and be at these rides as well. We've got a great group of volunteer leaders that will help COMBA with all our rides and social events this year -- WOOHOO!

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by yetigirl
    I couldn't tell you how many ppls I have talked with who were taken to an "easy" trail (as considered by the more accomplished rider) and then left to navigate obstacles that seemed almost insurmountable to them. Baby-steps -- seems to work the best for most beginners!
    No kidding Nancy! Her BF told her Slickrock would be "great for a beginner."
    She was under the impression that "kids ride it" just fine.

Talk about the perfect opportunity to learn to hate the sport early!

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    No kidding Nancy! Her BF told her Slickrock would be "great for a beginner."
    She was under the impression that "kids ride it" just fine.

Talk about a great opportunity to hate the sport early!
    Seriously!!! I still remember the first time I rode Slickrock as a noob (because even kids can do this one) -- to this day, I refuse to ride the trail because the memories are so overwhelming! (and you KNOW the kind of riding I do!)