lone rider

Colorado Wilderness Act of 2009 H.R. 4289

http://degette.house.gov/index.php?o...844&Itemid=189
    Has anyone else heard about this? Iím confused. Act? What does that mean? Do we have a say?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot
    http://degette.house.gov/index.php?o...844&Itemid=189
    Has anyone else heard about this? Iím confused. Act? What does that mean? Do we have a say?
    There is a link to a comment form right on the page you linked to. Use it to express your opinion.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The restriction of bikes (designated a vehicle) while horses can use and overly damage the trail is one thing; what kills me (sorry) is that hunting is allowed in wilderness areas. This may seem counterintuitive to some. An area to protect wildlife and preserve Colorado's natural habitat; except for in season hunting....Ya can bring your guns, not your bikes.
    Sidebar:
    What a beautiful animal, that head sure would look good on my "den" wall !

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk

Not everybody who hunts mounts animals on their walls. Go back to eating your hamburger and feeling superior.

It's like saying all mtn bikers are out of control.... riding off trail... etc...

mtbr member
    The restriction of bikes (designated a vehicle) while horses can use and overly damage the trail is one thing; what kills me (sorry) is that hunting is allowed in wilderness areas. This may seem counterintuitive to some. An area to protect wildlife and preserve Colorado's natural habitat; except for in season hunting....Ya can bring your guns, not your bikes.
    Sidebar:
    I can't find a source now, but I thought I read some time ago that designated Wilderness Area access is based on life in the early 1800's (i.e., hunting = yes, horses = yes, bikes = no).

I'm personally in favor of keeping both horses and bikes out of wilderness areas. When I go on a backpacking trip, I only hike in designated wilderness to avoid as much contact as possible, including contact from my fellow MTBers.
    I also have a problem seeing people climbing over 12,000 ft passes without breaking a sweat and their horses sh-tting all over the trail while I'm carrying a 30lb. pack, but what can you do.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'd like to see some accommodation for back-country cycling on specific trails in Wilderness areas, especially older Wilderness areas where they didn't consider mountain biking corridors (for example the Wilderness areas along the Colorado Trail).

The perma-ban on bikes was done in 1986 as a knee-jerk reaction to something that was in its infancy and no one really understood at the time, a lot has changed over the last 24 years. It would be nice to see them re-evaluate that decision, even if to simply consider making back-country mountain biking an option on a case-by-case basis on specific trails in specific Wilderness Areas.

Not that it matters one whit, since the pro-Wilderness crowd doesn't seem to need or want my support (unlike my tax dollars of course).

http://outside.away.com/outside/cult...cycle-ban.html

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/main/article/4873/

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Not everybody who hunts mounts animals on their walls. Go back to eating your hamburger and feeling superior.

It's like saying all mtn bikers are out of control.... riding off trail... etc...
    What does putting a head on a wall have to do with anything? Are you less of a hunter or more of a good person if you don't? What else do you do with the head if you don't mount it? Wear it around?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    What does putting a head on a wall have to do with anything? Are you less of a hunter or more of a good person if you don't? What else do you do with the head if you don't mount it? Wear it around?
    He insinuated that people only hunt because the animals head will look good on your wall.

It's the typical stereotype of hunters..... beer swilling guys just blasting away at every animal in the woods so they can plaster it on their wall. I'd feel the same way if someone said that mountain bikers just want to tear up the wilderness and scare animals, hikers, etc...

I hunt for meat, not a trophy, and I don't hunt anything I don't want to eat (deer, rabbits, coyotes, etc....). With that said, once you take the animal I guess you are free to do whatever you want with the head, mounting just isn't my thing.

PS - We really enjoyed our elk hamburgers, brats & steaks last weekend!

Big Boned
    You could make some tasty soup stock...
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Thread Terrorist
    yeah.... why can't we shoot horses?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member

I hunt for meat, not a trophy, and I don't hunt anything I don't want to eat (deer, rabbits, coyotes, etc....).
    You eat coyotes... gross!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    I'd like to see some accommodation for back-country cycling on specific trails in Wilderness areas, especially older Wilderness areas where they didn't consider mountain biking corridors (for example the Wilderness areas along the Colorado Trail).

The perma-ban on bikes was done in 1986 as a knee-jerk reaction to something that was in its infancy and no one really understood at the time, a lot has changed over the last 24 years. It would be nice to see them re-evaluate that decision, even if to simply consider making back-country mountain biking an option on a case-by-case basis on specific trails in specific Wilderness Areas.

Not that it matters one whit, since the pro-Wilderness crowd doesn't seem to need or want my support (unlike my tax dollars of course).

http://outside.away.com/outside/cult...cycle-ban.html

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/main/article/4873/
    Thank goodness most of the CT is still open to mtb for now (anyone up to date on the effort being put forth to close CDT sections to mtb ?).

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    yeah.... why can't we shoot horses?

Or tourists??? They ARE in season right now !!

I'm having a bit of a challenge understanding the origins of this bill, I assume it has nothing to do with fukken gems, but where did it come from?

Btw, topmounter... good luck changing the rules for wilderness. I just laugh every time I see someone who thinks that they're going to change how wilderness works. Yes, in theory, it COULD change, but as I said... good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    You eat coyotes... gross!
    You misunderstood. Re-read it. I DON'T hunt deer, rabbits, coyotes.... because I have no desire to eat it! Pretty muck elk and duck I all I'm interested in (although I haven't gone duck hunting in like 5 years).

Sorry for the hijack.... back on topic. I have mixed feelings about bikes being allowed in wilderness areas. Although there are a TON of areas I would love to bike...... there are some areas I hike that I enjoy not worrying about a bike coming around the next corner. Also, when I hike in wilderness areas, I want to feel "unplugged" and bikes don't really go with that feeling for me.

I would probably lean more towards leaving the wilderness areas to hikers/horseback, EXCEPT they are trying to designate so much stuff as wilderness that eventually we are gonna be shut out everywhere! So I have to lean towards allowing bikes in.

mtbr member
    This is where all you roadies need to think very carefully, if a bike is really considered a vehicle, think of what a ban of off road vehicles in an area could cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

killin clear creek
    I would probably lean more towards leaving the wilderness areas to hikers/horseback, EXCEPT they are trying to designate so much stuff as wilderness that eventually we are gonna be shut out everywhere! So I have to lean towards allowing bikes in.

As I seem to say like a broken record... keep leaning. Don't bother trying to stop all the newly proposed wilderness areas, just hope that later you'll be able to fix it & see how that goes for you.

There are other/ better designations than wilderness.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Stand back
    ... I have mixed feelings about bikes being allowed in wilderness areas. Although there are a TON of areas I would love to bike...... there are some areas I hike that I enjoy not worrying about a bike coming around the next corner. Also, when I hike in wilderness areas, I want to feel "unplugged" and bikes don't really go with that feeling for me.
    So whether or not bikes should be allowed in wilderness areas should go by hiker's feelings about others using the trails?
    Golden Bike Park

Tigers love pepper...
    So whether or not bikes should be allowed in wilderness areas should go by hiker's feelings about others using the trails?
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

I'm FOR bikes being allowed simply because I think they are going to continue designating more and more land as wilderness areas. I simply said I had mixed feelings and was giving my opinion that sometimes it's nice to have some areas that are hiker only (non-mechanized). By the way, I ride 90 percent of the time, hike 10 percent.

Heck, maybe we should let in motorcycles and rock crawlers in too. Why should your "feelings" on the issue matter either? It's all public lands afterall. Shouldn't I be allowed to take my Jeep in if you can ride your bike there? Exclusion of users is a slippery slope.

Stand back
    Exclusion of users is a slippery slope.
    I'm not extolling the exclusion of anyone, if you needed a reminder.

I'm saying nothing should be decided based on anyone's feelings. That's how we got redheaded stepsister status at Apex.
    Golden Bike Park

lone rider
    At first I wasnít worried about this when it didnít show up on the list of passed bills. I came across this while surfing today
    http://www.valley-journal.com/articl...profile=search
    maybe itís time to send a letter. It sounds like she wants to work with mountain bikers but it also looks like some other places might be in jeopardy. Iím not familiar wit all of them.