2006 Yeti AS-X

Colorado Weather

Hello,

I'll be passing through Colorado on May 26th heading to Fruita and Moab and just looked at the forecast for I-70 just west of Denver and noticed they are still getting alot of snow (higher elevations of course).

I am not familiar with the weather patterns in Colorado and wondering if I will expect to be running into snowy roads on the way to the Fruita and Moab goodness.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I wouldn't *expect* it per se... but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Will you be driving through the mountains during the day? That will cut down the chances of snow significantly.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I wouldn't *expect* it per se... but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Will you be driving through the mountains during the day? That will cut down the chances of snow significantly.
    Should be around 10am - 2pm when we hit the mtns if the schedule holds out.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    i want to say i wouldnt worry about it...but you never know. You definitely wont be coming across snowy roads but you could potentially come across snow.

Take this week for example...it was upper 60's in the mtns this past sunday and now the foothills are expecting up to 2 feet of snow in some areas the next few days.

I would hope to say that by the 26th most of the "cold" spring weather has moved out and most of the trails in the Fruita area are dry.

Enjoy your trip to Fruita and Moab

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by nhltfour
    i want to say i wouldnt worry about it...but you never know. You definitely wont be coming across snowy roads but you could potentially come across snow.

Take this week for example...it was upper 60's in the mtns this past sunday and now the foothills are expecting up to 2 feet of snow in some areas the next few days.

I would hope to say that by the 26th most of the "cold" spring weather has moved out and most of the trails in the Fruita area are dry.

Enjoy your trip to Fruita and Moab
    As long as Fruita and Moab are dry, I'll be happy as a kid on the last day of school. Been looking forward to this trip for years.

mtbr member
    Good for you to take the trip...Moab will blow you away it is awesome if you never been there before....just keep going, who cares if is snowing,raining....oh yea...drink a lot it helps with recovery.....I mean beer!
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider
    As long as Fruita and Moab are dry, I'll be happy as a kid on the last day of school. Been looking forward to this trip for years.
    They are soooo overrated...

Just kidding! You'll love it. I know I did when I first got out there. Anyway, mountain driving at that time of the year "should" be no big deal. I wouldn't stress over it.

Have fun!
    baker

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yeah - I'd worry more about Fruita and Moab being brutally hot then I would about a little snow on the roads.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Yeah - I'd worry more about Fruita and Moab being brutally hot then I would about a little snow on the roads.

Completely agree, don't worry about it, just get ready to have a great time

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz
    Good for you to take the trip...Moab will blow you away it is awesome if you never been there before....just keep going, who cares if is snowing,raining....oh yea...drink a lot it helps with recovery.....I mean beer!
    Yeah, I am totally stoked. Gonna ride Fruita and Moab, backpack and camp down at Canyonlands, heading to Monument Valley...Gosh I am sure this almost 40 year old fart is going to be pretty worn out at the end of the trip.

Colorado
    Do not expect to not expect snow on the roads on May 26, 2010 in Colorado.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I remember going to Moab one spring. One of our members got heatstroke. We all got sunburned. Then on the way back, it snowed. We went over Vail pass about thirty minutes before it was closed.

Misses elastomer shocks
    make sure you visit 18 road in fruita and do kessel run along with zippety. kessel is short but one of my favorite trails ever. if you can't find it, go to over the edge (bike shop) and ask. for me, the other areas of fruita are similar to moab; 18 road really sets it apart. IMHO.

don't worry too much about snow. you may end up with a wet, gunked up bike, but driving conditions should be ok.

have fun!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I appreciate all the info u guys have provided. I am definitely hitting up 18 road and zippity. I been drooling over that for a long time.

I checked the 15 day forecast looks good so far.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I remember going to Moab one spring. One of our members got heatstroke. We all got sunburned. Then on the way back, it snowed. We went over Vail pass about thirty minutes before it was closed.
    So that was THIS spring then?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I checked the 15 day forecast looks good so far.
    Not laughing at you but the fact that someone somewhere posts a 15 day forecast for CO has me rolling on the floor lmao.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    Not laughing at you but the fact that someone somewhere posts a 15 day forecast for CO has me rolling on the floor lmao.
    Exactly, any forecast covering more than 18-24 hours is wasted effort, especially in the spring.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    So that was THIS spring then?
    Had to have been -- two weekends ago -- unfortunately, of the 6 cars of us traveling back only two made it thru before the closure!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertH
    Exactly, any forecast covering more than 18-24 hours is wasted effort, especially in the spring.
    Actually, mid range forecasts (long range being more than a month) like that can be fairly accurate as far as predicting general trends. IE: trends toward high or low pressure, the general position of the jet and thus the storm track. Most climatologists will tell you under most scenarios, they'd rather make a forecast for 12-15 days out than 5 days out.

..ouch
    Should hit the high country.. it's looking great up here today.
    Colorado Weather-web_p1040020.jpg

Misses elastomer shocks
    I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come for quite some time.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    One last question, I don't think rain will be too much an issue according to what I have read but I know where I live in northern missouri once we get .25" of rain then the trails get muddy and we can't ride them.

How is the soil in Fruita?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't ride Fruita wet. You will do irreversable damage.

Moab is fine wet, and dries fast.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by jay80424
    Don't ride Fruita wet. You will do irreversable damage.

Moab is fine wet, and dries fast.
    Don't have to worry about me. I don't ride muddy trails. Just wanted to be on the up and up and be knowlegable so I won't ride when it is not good for the trail.