Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Colorado trip.... Keystone closed?

im stuck in mid-missouri
    ive only been biking in the rockys once
    so i planned a trip to colorado to DOWNHILL with a couple of my buddies this summer

ive been hearing keystone is closed... can anyone conform or throw out those rumers

and any suggestions of places to hit would be great

thanks

Inflexable...
    i heard they only been turning away peeple with poor grammer and speelling skillz...

...but seriously, it is closed to biking right now and will reopen in the summer (if the snow melts.)

Winter Park
    Eldora (I meant Sol Vista)
    Last edited by kchri; 03-03-2008 at 08:18 PM.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Shoulda went faster
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    ...but seriously, it is closed to biking right now and will reopen in the summer (if the snow melts.)

Winter Park
    Eldora
    The MSC race at Keystone has been cancelled. There has been rumors floating around that they are moving the gondola and there will be limited access, if any, for the summer.

Winter Park would be a good option to get your feet wet. After you master Winter Park then head down the road and test your jumping skills at Sol Vista.

Awesomist™
    Keystone is doing some serious gondola construction, which will definitely interrupt the lift access they have to offer for the summer. The MSC race has been cancelled due to this. Just exactly how much the new gondola construction is going to actually affect lift access this summer. My guess is... a lot. The only info I have seen is from the RaceMSC website: http://www.racemsc.com/events/keystoneclimax.html
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

DenverDH'er
    Man, that is sad news!!

Living the High Life
    Well I bet they only get 5%, maybe less, of their money from mountain biking. So they're not too worried about buisness loss compared to how much a new gondola will help in the winter. Besides, have you been in that Keystone gondola? Most of them smell like socks, and you can tell where they just spray painted over rust. I hope they're putting in a new one, not just moving it.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's actually some nice XC loops on Keystone Mountain and in the vicinity. I don't know it the Gondola construction will effect access to those trails. Sounds like if you want to ride lifts you'll have to go elsewhere though.

Inflexable...
    New River Run Gondola Coming Winter 2008/09

Keystone Resort has announced plans to install a new state-of-the-art eight-passenger gondola to replace the current six-passenger River Run Gondola for the 2008-2009 ski and snowboard season. A key component of the plan includes moving the bottom terminal of the new River Run Gondola into the River Run Village, significantly enhancing the guest experience for both River Run destination guests as well as day visitors parking at the River Run Village, by making access to the gondola easier.
    The upgraded River Run Gondola will follow the same alignment as the existing gondola with the top terminal located in the same location at the summit of Dercum Mountain. A new mid-station will be constructed halfway up Dercum Mountain with loading and unloading in both directions, giving skiers and snowboarders an option to access the upper trails from mid-mountain and to download at the end of their ski day.
    The new cabins were designed with passenger comfort in mind with floor-to-ceiling windows providing the best possible view and with room to accommodate skis and snowboards inside the cabin. Additionally, the new gondola will offer level walk-in heated load and unload stations to provide convenient access for wheelchairs, mountain bikes, strollers, sight seers, mountaintop tubing hill guests and night-time dining guests.
    With a vertical rise of 2,307 feet and a top-to-bottom average trip time of less than 12 minutes, the new eight-passenger River Run Gondola will transport about 2,400 people per hour, more than twice the current level. Keystone plans to operate the new River Run Gondola winter and summer
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    New Mid-station? If you can't make it down from the top, then you came to the wrong resort. I understand that tourists make up quite a bit of revenue, but is this level of catering required?
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

DenverDH'er
    From another Thread:

Originally Posted by MqtRider
    To:
    CC:
    Subject: RE: Summer Bike Lift Access
    Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:27:40 -0700

Chuck,
    I am happy to say it's not true. Keystone will be doing some massive mountain renovations this summer as we install our new gondola. This means that the gondola and the Outpost will be closed for the summer. The summit Express however will be open for hikers and mountain bikers to enjoy. Keep checking out web site at www.keystone.snow.com for updated information on these exciting new changes!

Keystone Mountain Concierge
    Keystone Resort, Colorado
    800-354-4FUN
    970-496-4FUN

Keystone Mountain Concierge is open daily from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM MDT

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    New Mid-station? If you can't make it down from the top, then you came to the wrong resort. I understand that tourists make up quite a bit of revenue, but is this level of catering required?

Yeah, seems pretty silly to me as well.

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by TREKFuelEX8
    im stuck in mid-missouri
    ive only been biking in the rockys once
    so i planned a trip to colorado to DOWNHILL with a couple of my buddies this summer

ive been hearing keystone is closed... can anyone conform or throw out those rumers

and any suggestions of places to hit would be great

thanks

Winter Park is a blast. It's not as "techie" as Keystone and doesn't have any many trials but the DH trail is a BLAST. It's fast and flowy, tons of fun. But I warn you not to get over confident at WP and then go to Keystone thinking you're a bad-ass . . . . Keystone WILL show you who the boss really is.

mtbr member
    Ive never ridden Keystone or any place with a lift up. Ive got some friends coming up this summer and they talked about wanting to do this (one of them did it last year and had alot of fun). Would it be a bad idea to try and take my Superlight onto these trails? Im thinking probably so

How much do the rental places at the resorts charge for bikes generally?

Slopestyle Rider
    Good things are gonna happen at Winter Park this summer... that's all I'll say.

Also, the DH trail has a big jump section in it now. There is also a big jump section at the bottom of Long Trail right above the slopestyle park. The jumps were there last year but really just rollers. Now on the right side they are probably 6'-7' tall and straight up poppy. I can't wait to hit those lines up.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    Ive never ridden Keystone or any place with a lift up. Ive got some friends coming up this summer and they talked about wanting to do this (one of them did it last year and had alot of fun). Would it be a bad idea to try and take my Superlight onto these trails? Im thinking probably so

Keystone greens and blues are fine on an XC bike. You won't be able to hit the blues as fast as a DH or FR bike, but you won't get a point were you can't ride it either.

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518

Yep, the blues and greens will be fine on your XC ride. You can ride ALL the trails in WP i'd guess.

I think rental for a full-on DH bike is around 50 bucks, but I'm not sure.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    That last pitch to the bottom of the gondola is a disaster, IMO. If this keeps green skiers off that pitch everyone will benefit.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Good things are gonna happen at Winter Park this summer... that's all I'll say.

Also, the DH trail has a big jump section in it now. There is also a big jump section at the bottom of Long Trail right above the slopestyle park. The jumps were there last year but really just rollers. Now on the right side they are probably 6'-7' tall and straight up poppy. I can't wait to hit those lines up.
    jumps, , how about some steep techy?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Typical homer response

You don't need to go to a resort to find steep and techy, altho Keystone has plenty of that.

Slopestyle Rider
    People who can't jump for squat typically like steep and techy. Just a thought.

Your retarded
    People who can't ride steep and techy for squat typically like to jump. Both have their appeals and necessary skills. Neither is right or wrong.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    From another Thread:

Originally Posted by MqtRider
    To:
    CC:
    Subject: RE: Summer Bike Lift Access
    Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:27:40 -0700

Chuck,
    I am happy to say it's not true. Keystone will be doing some massive mountain renovations this summer as we install our new gondola. This means that the gondola and the Outpost will be closed for the summer. The summit Express however will be open for hikers and mountain bikers to enjoy. Keep checking out web site at www.keystone.snow.com for updated information on these exciting new changes!

Keystone Mountain Concierge
    Keystone Resort, Colorado
    800-354-4FUN
    970-496-4FUN

Keystone Mountain Concierge is open daily from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM MDT
    Thanks horse's mouth...

~~~~~~~~
    o
    people who like both buy lift tickets...

geez rr, my dad is the biggest WP homer of them all, he'd ban me from the house if I gave Keystone money (or props for that matter).

Slopestyle Rider
    I was just messin with ya anyway. Like I said there will be good things that will be going on this summer at WP that will appease some of you techy guys...

Living the High Life
    I was just messin with ya anyway. Like I said there will be good things that will be going on this summer at WP that will appease some of you techy guys...
    That sounds promising, the more resorts who put up lift access trails the better It can only help really. If CO is known to have 3 great resorts within an hour drive of each other, there will be more people taking mt bike vacations, and while gapers exist on bikes as well, the more resorts see income from bikes, the better for us locals as well.

I didn't ride WP last year, because I had a season pass to Keystone, but with more trails at Sol Vista and at WP I'm going to ride all three this year and skip the pass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast